Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

Transfer Rumours - All in Here

I wonder if we could get Blake moved on (to Hull?) and bring a prop in from the NRL for the rest of the season?

I would be dissapointed if we didn't see Stephens, Whitby, Sambou, Robertson and Vaughn on the bench for half a game this season . The latter looks as though he is the most promising of that group to step up now.

Also would like that Vaughb/Ritson partnership given a go for at least a couple of consecutive games against the lower clubs in Superleague.
Yes, I hope so too Stiddy

Sutcliffe? He had some moments as a kid and I'm sure he would improve away from that basket case club but not to the standard we should be looking for IMO. I'd much rather give Vaughan an opportunity.

Sutcliffe is awful. I really hope we stay away from him.
He looked good coming through as a junior but once he got into the Leeds 1st team he never really kicked on. Now he's nothing more than an average SL player. He's bit like Bennison & Royle, can do a job but doesn't have any outstanding skill sets. At Sutcliffe's age now he's never going to get any better so isn't worth it for a club with genuine title ambitions like Saints. I think he's found his level at a bottom SL club / top championship club.

I wonder if we could get Blake moved on (to Hull?) and bring a prop in from the NRL for the rest of the season?

I know everyone on here has already decided that Blake is no good, but why would we move him on?

The inevitable Percival/Hurrell injury/suspension happens and we are then having posts on here about moving on someone else to bring in an NRL centre.

Blake is important depth in the 3/4s covering both centre and wing where we do not have much depth. Also, he is really not as bad as people are making out daily on here.

Before anyone points out a load of youngsters who they have never seen play before, if Blake is moved on we then see Ben Davies at centre, which comes with its own redvee territory.

Also, what NRL prop is going to be available to make this even at least tempting?

Also, what NRL prop is going to be available to make this even at least tempting?
The 'there's no one available' excuse should be banned from here.

But I agree, we can't cut Blake unless something spectacular becomes possible. Or if we see one of the academy kids sneak into the team somehow and prove their worth. I don't see that happening with Jose Wellens about picking the same players every week.

He looked good coming through as a junior but once he got into the Leeds 1st team he never really kicked on. Now he's nothing more than an average SL player. He's bit like Bennison & Royle, can do a job but doesn't have any outstanding skill sets. At Sutcliffe's age now he's never going to get any better so isn't worth it for a club with genuine title ambitions like Saints. I think he's found his level at a bottom SL club / top championship club.
I don't think he's ever been better than just okay.

He's another off the steady stream of players that are lauded over by Sky (one particular member) as 'future England star' without any sort of substance

I don't think he's ever been better than just okay.

He's another off the steady stream of players that are lauded over by Sky (one particular member) as 'future England star' without any sort of substance
Coming into the Leeds team as a 13 or 6 who could also kick goals just as Sinfield was about to retire he was hyped up as his replacement. Never got close to living up to it and ended up bouncing round positions, playing everywhere except prop. He’s a bang average super league player well suited for a mid to lower table club, nothing more. If we sign him I’ll be fuming.

Coming into the Leeds team as a 13 or 6 who could also kick goals just as Sinfield was about to retire he was hyped up as his replacement. Never got close to living up to it and ended up bouncing round positions, playing everywhere except prop. He’s a bang average super league player well suited for a mid to lower table club, nothing more. If we sign him I’ll be fuming.
Wasn't that Stevie Ward, not Liam Sutcliffe?

Wasn't that Stevie Ward, not Liam Sutcliffe?
I think Ward was hyped up that way as well but I remember the comparisons with Sinfield for Sutcliffe at the time. He kicked a winning penalty against Catalan and Sky wouldn’t shut up about him being the ‘heir apparent’ for months.

They definitely waxed lyrical on Sky about Sutcliffe being Sinfield’s successor, I remember that. He is garbage though. Ward did look a really handy player but always struggled with injuries.

The 'there's no one available' excuse should be banned from here.

But I agree, we can't cut Blake unless something spectacular becomes possible. Or if we see one of the academy kids sneak into the team somehow and prove their worth. I don't see that happening with Jose Wellens about picking the same players every week.

I hate that excuse too, but I was trying to say that the chances of someone being half decent and being available at this time of the year willing to fly across the globe to live in St Helens, is slim to zero.

They either will be a pudding or committed some sort of criminal or immoral act.

I hate that excuse too, but I was trying to say that the chances of someone being half decent and being available at this time of the year willing to fly across the globe to live in St Helens, is slim to zero.

They either will be a pudding or committed some sort of criminal or immoral act.
I don’t know about that. It’s coming into May, the NRL has been going a couple of months now so clubs have an idea of who is in their plans and who isn’t, alongside their transfer market and cap space available.

Whi
I don’t know about that. It’s coming into May, the NRL has been going a couple of months now so clubs have an idea of who is in their plans and who isn’t, alongside their transfer market and cap space available.
Whilst this is true, decent quality props are in as short supply as they are over here.

I know everyone on here has already decided that Blake is no good, but why would we move him on?

The inevitable Percival/Hurrell injury/suspension happens and we are then having posts on here about moving on someone else to bring in an NRL centre.

Blake is important depth in the 3/4s covering both centre and wing where we do not have much depth. Also, he is really not as bad as people are making out daily on here.

Before anyone points out a load of youngsters who they have never seen play before, if Blake is moved on we then see Ben Davies at centre, which comes with its own redvee territory.

Hopefully if we could get a run with Blake & Percival together we may see what he can do. He does seem more like Francis Meli than Darren Albert but Meli did have some good games, honest :)

The balance of our team is just wrong at the moment.

Now that is heavily down to having our 2 biggest players out long term (Walmsley and Paasi), but we knew about that prior to the start of the season. We also knew Wingfield’s injury/form issues. Wingfield has to be fair been playing a lot better, but then suffered another shoulder injury which is concerning.

We should have signed a prop in the off season.

I’m not sold on the Whitley signing. Solid player yes, however he is just a workhorse, and doesn’t offer the size or strike that we’ve had outwide in previous years with Sironen, Matautia and Batchelor. Due to his size, and missing Walmsley and Paasi we’re lacking serious punch and the knock on effect to the team with having to shuffle players around is maybe why I’m scrutinising the signing. Yes you can point to a few tries but that doesn’t give a full picture.

Batchelor looks a shadow of his former self, he looks like he’s lost a lot of muscle, whilst also looking out of shape and unfit. Whitley is currently offering more than him to be fair so maybe I’m being too critical.

Sironen is a brilliant second row, had an an immense start to the year however the past few weeks has been coming up with numerous errors/knock ons/penalties. I get the feeling Wellens has moved him to the middle, as he has with Matautia for more stability outwide which I do not agree with. I understand Matautia given our lack of go forward and how he’s performing at prop, but keep Sironen at SR.

Blake played his best game against hudds but that still isn’t saying much. He needs to get better but I don’t think he can shake his clumsiness.

As others have said a big recruitment drive needed in the off season. We need to freshen things up. Yes there’s a few names knocking about from the academy but if they arnt getting in the team now I can’t see it them being given a first 17 number in the very near future.

Makinson has been in Girona this weekend, presumably flying in and out of there. He’s all but confirmed he’s off, then.

OUT: Dodd (South Sydney), Makinson (Catalans).

Back
Top Bottom