Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

Paul Wellens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever is happening, needs to be sorted soon. You can’t have Wellens signing a load of players now to replace Dodd, Makinson etc then decide at the end of the year that he isn’t getting a new deal, and we are bringing a new coach in.

Whoever the coach is for 2025 needs to decide who their full back and half backs are going to be.

The first third of the season is done. Our attack is awful, but we are top of the league! If our attack improves a little, as in scoring one more try every game, that would make us hard to beat. Our pack is still brilliant so the improvement has to come from the halfbacks or three quarters.

What needs to happen? What does Wellens have to do with this squad to get at least one more try every game? On average we score 23 per match and give away 8. For Wigan that’s 29 to 15, for Hull KR on average they score 23 and give away 14 so it’ll be close, unless we collapse like a house of cards again which is unlikely.
Those stats over the course of a season will get us in the top 3. What those stats won’t do is win us a knockout game against a fired up opposition, as has been seen in our last 3 knockout matches.

I don’t particularly agree with the whole ‘boring under Wellens tenure’ narrative. We played some really good attacking rugby in patches last year. At the time I hoped that it was a taste of what was to come but 2024 has been dull for whatever reason.

I don’t particularly agree with the whole ‘boring under Wellens tenure’ narrative. We played some really good attacking rugby in patches last year. At the time I hoped that it was a taste of what was to come but 2024 has been dull for whatever reason.
I thought we looked better at the start of the season. The attack had improved but now it’s gone down again

I think some of it is because other teams raise their game against us.
On Thursday Huddersfield tackled as if their lives depended against us.

Guess it's just the price for being Super Leagues most successful club

My worry is that Wello is not going to develop the players games. Dodd is being strangled by the 5th tackle play. We now know it is not Dodd making that choice as Mbye spent the last game doing the exact same thing. We have signed Whitley, a decent edge runner, and all we are using him for is another tackling bag. Our tactics are hampering the players we do have, and I am starting to wonder whether he is the right person to trust with the development of this supposed 'golden generation'.

I think some of it is because other teams raise their game against us.
On Thursday Huddersfield tackled as if their lives depended against us.

Guess it's just the price for being Super Leagues most successful club
I agree, fans might also give it a thought that the opposition won’t let us play expansive rugby and cut down any space for our pivotal players.

I thought we looked better at the start of the season. The attack had improved but now it’s gone down again
Very briefly. But we also looked OK under Cunningham to begin with.

I'm going to come out and say this. I want him gone, he's stinking the place out and clearly doesn't give a shit about the club and it's ethos. McManus has dropped a bollock yet again and he shouldn't be adverse to criticism either, neither should Humpty Dumpty Rush. We had the opportunity to build a dynasty and instead we chose the easy/cheap options. Signing shite like Mbye and Blake for a start while Wigan sign everyone decent, world champions last year ffs and we're trying to bore the likes of Huddersfield into submission.

I'm going to come out and say this. I want him gone, he's stinking the place out and clearly doesn't give a shit about the club and it's ethos. McManus has dropped a bollock yet again and he shouldn't be adverse to criticism either, neither should Humpty Dumpty Rush. We had the opportunity to build a dynasty and instead we chose the easy/cheap options. Signing shite like Mbye and Blake for a start while Wigan sign everyone decent, world champions last year ffs and we're trying to bore the likes of Huddersfield into submission.
Nah, that's way off mate.

Nah, that's way off mate.
Is it though? I accept he's his own man but he can't say he doesn't know the expectations, he's spent the vast majority of his life associated with the club in some form yet he constantly goes against that.

Is it though? I accept he's his own man but he can't say he doesn't know the expectations, he's spent the vast majority of his life associated with the club in some form yet he constantly goes against that.
I also think you are wrong CaseyJ. I think he is caught between two stools: one is playing more attacking rugby but with an aging set of backs and some young guns who arent quite ready, the other stool is trying to adapt Woolfeball lite to a new set of rules. I think he is Saints through and through. It's his first head coach job and transitioning from Woolfes now old team to a new set of players with no cash to spend is a tall order and he is clearly struggling. We havent got the three quarters or the halfbacks to paly an expansive game and he thinks the younger palyers are not ready. I think we will see Ritson and Vaughn together both on the right wing quite soon

Wonder if the club will announce his contract extension this week whilst we're top? If it's been sorted then now would be the time.

Don't want to risk us losing Saturday and then we'll have lost to 4 of the other 5 teams in the top 6 already 🤣

And the one we beat had 12 men...

Can't agree at all about MBye. He has class and the more he plays the better he is looking for us. Blake was at probably the lowest ebb of his career when he came here. He looked and played like it to start with, but against Huddersfield he put in easily his best performance and did little wrong. After Yates stamped on his knee he was clearly in pain but managed to run it off. I also liked the way he got stuck in during the fracas when he and Percival flattened that whinger Wallis. He looks like he is beginning to feel like part of the team and starting to show a little glimpse of the player he was three or four years ago.
As for Wellens, the one thing you can not accuse him of is not caring about the club. If you watched him as a player and the obvious pride and commitment he had for the club I can't imagine you really meant that. Whether his ability as a coach is up to it is a different matter.

I think it is. Part of appointing a coach is that they need to be given the space and accountability to do things as they want and ultimately they are judged on results and success, not always the manner of performances though this plays a part. Clearly Paul is quite a conservative coach, reflecting this with his tactics and the resulting performances over the last season and a half. Whether he's allowed to continue long term is a different matter but to say he doesn't care is streching it a bit too far.

He may not (yet) be what we wanted him to be but the bloke cares about the club, team, fans and being successful very deeply. He's a very deep thinker about all of those. I know that for a fact by the way.

I think it is. Part of appointing a coach is that they need to be given the space and accountability to do things as they want and ultimately they are judged on results and success, not always the manner of performances though this plays a part. Clearly Paul is quite a conservative coach, reflecting this with his tactics and the resulting performances over the last season and a half. Whether he's allowed to continue long term is a different matter but to say he doesn't care is streching it a bit too far.

He may not (yet) be what we wanted him to be but the bloke cares about the club, team, fans and being successful very deeply. He's a very deep thinker about all of those. I know that for a fact by the way.
I personally think paul his overthinking as a coach he his on a hiding to nothing inheriting an ageing squad trying to accommodate mates he played with would of liked to see him coach fearherstone Keighley etc before being given the job here detach himself away from his comfort zone hate it when our great players tarnish there reputation by making an absolute mess of coaching our team all we think of isnt this cunninghamesque two of our greatest players being dissected by us keyboard coaches both of them should and shouldn't have been ever been let to be head coaches sentiment wins nothing for me

Just my observation but the Waqa Blake signing concerned me as a symptom of some decline in our standards to the pre Holbrook era. He is only here as no one else wanted him. I don't think his performance/ attitude reflects the standards Holbrook brought into the club post Cunningham and maintained by Woolf.

I think we know now that the Dodd injury is likely a smokescreen. If the signing is true, do we let him go to Aus now or risk another Eastmond. Dodd isnt a bad player, he has just been tutored to become one dimensional, a Shaun Wane style scrum half. It will be a test of the resolve of Wello to get the best out of him if he remains with the group until his contract expires. Wire have pulled a kid from the academy who until his injury yesterday looked decent. I was hoping we may have similar waiting in the wings.

I think we know now that the Dodd injury is likely a smokescreen. If the signing is true, do we let him go to Aus now or risk another Eastmond. Dodd isnt a bad player, he has just been tutored to become one dimensional, a Shaun Wane style scrum half. It will be a test of the resolve of Wello to get the best out of him if he remains with the group until his contract expires. Wire have pulled a kid from the academy who until his injury yesterday looked decent. I was hoping we may have similar waiting in the wings.
They wouldn’t pull Dodd out of the warm up before a game just to use it as a smokescreen.

The similarity with Eastmond is probably just in the agents, Offiah was hell bent on getting him into Union and the money. Dodd is different he hasn't spit his dummy out and has self belief he can take up the challenge of the NFL. The ligament injury to Dodd changed his game and don't think it was a smokescreen, Wello is always very protective with young players and maybe he has let that linger too long with Dodd'

I should imagine Rushy and McManus are quite miffed with Doddy in not staying that little bit longer. We spend a long time in developing young players at cost and they always will want something back in returm similar to the way Welsby has thought things through.

So we await the next crop of players coming through but unfortunately there does seem a bit of a "readiness gap" to integrate into the first team in a seam less manner. That situation will put fans into a "panic buy" mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom