Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

Transfer Rumours - All in Here

Not advocating we sign Newman or that we will but look at Hurrell at Leeds and look at him here. He looks a completely different player. Sometimes a different culture and coach can get something better out of a player. There is a good player in Newman but he needs to sort his attitude and kick on from the early potential he had, otherwise his career will be a disappointment.

The thing with Hurrell was that he'd been quality in the NRL and, for his first couple of seasons at Leeds, quality there. He'd proven himself.

That third season at Leeds was, I think, down to total disillusionment. Not only had Leeds dropped away from being realistic contenders, but their primary attacking move had degenerated to 'give it Konny' - and, because opposition teams knew the move, there was always a welcoming committee in wait. I used to cringe at the gang-tackling he was subjected to. He was getting absolutely smashed week after week. No wonder he let himself go and ended up getting out of there.

Newman has never moved from being 'prodigiously promising talent' to 'proven performer at the top level'. Many players have never been able to make that big step, and I think Newman is another to add to that list.

Could the much better environment at Saints be a catalyst for him realising his full potential? Perhaps. But it'd be a huge gamble (and one that would be expensive, as he's supposed to be on a fat contract at Leeds and for us to tempt him away you'd think would take an equally big offer)

I don't think it's worth considering.

The thing with Hurrell was that he'd been quality in the NRL and, for his first couple of seasons at Leeds, quality there. He'd proven himself.

That third season at Leeds was, I think, down to total disillusionment. Not only had Leeds dropped away from being realistic contenders, but their primary attacking move had degenerated to 'give it Konny' - and, because opposition teams knew the move, there was always a welcoming committee in wait. I used to cringe at the gang-tackling he was subjected to. He was getting absolutely smashed week after week. No wonder he let himself go and ended up getting out of there.

Newman has never moved from being 'prodigiously promising talent' to 'proven performer at the top level'. Many players have never been able to make that big step, and I think Newman is another to add to that list.

Could the much better environment at Saints be a catalyst for him realising his full potential? Perhaps. But it'd be a huge gamble (and one that would be expensive, as he's supposed to be on a fat contract at Leeds and for us to tempt him away you'd think would take an equally big offer)

I don't think it's worth considering.

It'd be a risk signing Newman. Can't imagine he'd come cheap and as you say he's not really fulfilled his potential. Injuries also a concern, especially his hamstring, although he seems to have strung more games together this year.

I thought he had a good series for England at the end of last year, so maybe the change is what he needs to turbo charge his career.

It'd be a risk signing Newman. Can't imagine he'd come cheap and as you say he's not really fulfilled his potential. Injuries also a concern, especially his hamstring, although he seems to have strung more games together this year.

I thought he had a good series for England at the end of last year, so maybe the change is what he needs to turbo charge his career.

I think the cost element is key. The Hurrell example was a good one in terms of his attitude at the time etc, but he was apparently on top money at Leeds and took less money to come to us, so it was a calculated gamble. I'm not sure Newman would be prepared to do that, if he was demanding top money, then the risk would be too high IMO.

To say we never look at signing top.players.

I see Connor Watson is in the NSW squad for origin. We nearly signed him last year. Turned us down last minute. (And that's on a podcast before people start saying I'm lieing)

To say we never look at signing top.players.

I see Connor Watson is in the NSW squad for origin. We nearly signed him last year. Turned us down last minute. (And that's on a podcast before people start saying I'm lieing)
That’s a shame. Always liked him as a player. Hope he goes well in Origin.

Riley Dean?
I was about to share that.

I have been beating a drum for us to sign Dean for a while. He isn't small for a half back so he would probably make a good hooker.

That being said, if you sign him you could be hampering Whitbys progress. But it isnt like we couldn't do with an extra few spibe players moving forward.

Nah, not when we have a few young half backs coming through.
But the key is those young halfbacks aren’t coming through this year or be ready to be first choice next year. Dean could do a couple of years at halfback until Whitby/ Roberts/ Robertson are ready and then transition to hooker as suggested above. Effectively playing the Mbye role now, without the non-fed spot or presumably large salary.

They might not be ready to be 1st choice next year but I suspect they will play some games and blocking that path with another young half is not the way to go IMO.

I don't see us signing a half back.

It's difficult to say where these players will end up.

Whitby clearly looks like a 7. So that is one spot.

Robertson isn't as clear. You fancy he will get a run on the wing and once he settles, Centre. I would say most of his first 30 to 40 games (2 years) will be spent in the backline.

Roberts looks reasonable, but there is nowhere near the same hype or physical size as the first two. He could easily be another Yates/Hewitt/Billsborough that simply isn't big enough. The knee injury equally won't help. I am not writing him off but I am not going to leave him a spot in the 17 by not recruiting either.

The there is the age of our spine next year as it stands.

6. Lomax (34)
7. Mbye (31)
9. Clark (32)

So let's get another 6/7/9 pivot type player. So Riley Dean wouldn't be the worst pickup.

I think people are romanticising Riley Dean here purely because he's playing in Australia. He couldn't get regular game time in a Warrington side that, for the last couple of years of his contract were utterly woeful, finishing 11th and 6th and couldn't usurp a non-effective and overhyped Josh Drinkwater. Given we have two or three young, homegrown options in and around the first team set up, I don't see where Riley Dean would even be considered for a jumper.

I think people are romanticising Riley Dean here purely because he's playing in Australia. He couldn't get regular game time in a Warrington side that, for the last couple of years of his contract were utterly woeful, finishing 11th and 6th and couldn't usurp a non-effective and overhyped Josh Drinkwater. Given we have two or three young, homegrown options in and around the first team set up, I don't see where Riley Dean would even be considered for a jumper.
Agreed. This is a lad who couldn't get a game at Warrington when the likes of Ratchford and Matautia were stinking the place out at half-back.

If Robertson, Whitby and Roberts are as good as the club think they are, Riley Dean would be a pointless signing.

I was about to share that.

I have been beating a drum for us to sign Dean for a while. He isn't small for a half back so he would probably make a good hooker.

That being said, if you sign him you could be hampering Whitbys progress. But it isnt like we couldn't do with an extra few spibe players moving forward.
Why ?? he was utter gash while at Wire and an absolute mile behind other young halves around at that time like Dodd. He's gone from SL to reserve grade in Aus and never managed to make that step up to the NRL squad so why the hell would Saints want a 2nd rate half back like him. Especially when we have halves with so much promise coming through like Whitby, Roberts & Robertson.
He'd also be an utter waste as a hooker, we already have 2 in the 1st team squad plus Burns & Nolan coming through.

As for Stevens, never heard of him and can't see why we'd be remotely interested when we have the likes of Delaney & Stephens

Riley Dean is as average as it gets. Watch when he played for Cas against us last year and how he looked on the scrum play try we scored, like he'd never made a tackle.

I know we're desperate for rumours on here but can we file Riley Dean alongside Meadows/Bassett from London, that people have said on here, as stockholm syndrome as the lack of rumours have made us want anything.

As either of those 3 signing for St Helens would be absolutely pathetic.

Riley Dean is as average as it gets. Watch when he played for Cas against us last year and how he looked on the scrum play try we scored, like he'd never made a tackle.

I know we're desperate for rumours on here but can we file Riley Dean alongside Meadows/Bassett from London, that people have said on here, as stockholm syndrome as the lack of rumours have made us want anything.

As either of those 3 signing for St Helens would be absolutely pathetic.
Dean wouldn't even get in our reserves side

It's difficult to say where these players will end up.

Whitby clearly looks like a 7. So that is one spot.

Robertson isn't as clear. You fancy he will get a run on the wing and once he settles, Centre. I would say most of his first 30 to 40 games (2 years) will be spent in the backline.

Roberts looks reasonable, but there is nowhere near the same hype or physical size as the first two. He could easily be another Yates/Hewitt/Billsborough that simply isn't big enough. The knee injury equally won't help. I am not writing him off but I am not going to leave him a spot in the 17 by not recruiting either.

The there is the age of our spine next year as it stands.

6. Lomax (34)
7. Mbye (31)
9. Clark (32)

So let's get another 6/7/9 pivot type player. So Riley Dean wouldn't be the worst pickup.
Have you seen Whitby & Robertson play this year ?
The reserves match highlights are now on Saints website - when was the last time we saw a player ghost through a defence like Robertson does ?

Riley Dean can only dream of having so much natural talent and of ever beating a man like this.

Have you seen Whitby & Robertson play this year ?
The reserves match highlights are now on Saints website - when was the last time we saw a player ghost through a defence like Robertson does ?

Riley Dean can only dream of having so much natural talent and of ever beating a man like this.

I've just watched the highlights and Robertson literally ripped them to shreds based on that. I know London probably aren't great etc but he looks to be full of confidence. He was going through untouched at times, made it look far too easy.

Hull have released Franklin Pele

Must be up there as one of the worst signings in SL history

Back
Top Bottom