Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

Transfer Rumours - All in Here

Lets be brutal here; Does Mbye at halfback weaken us? Dodd has been in doodoo form for the last 18 months, virtually everyone has been critical of him.

As for "Were not already reaching finals" you mean, we have missed out on one final, as we ended up 3rd going away to Catalans (our boogey side) for the Sam Tomkins farewell tour? I remind you we scored the same number of tries Wigan did against Catalans in the final. Now you can be critical of Wellens for putting us in a position to finish 3rd, you can be critical of the players for putting the cue on the rack after the WCC (and credit where its due, Wigan have shown that it you can and should play through it) but we do seem to be rectifying it. Couple that with us appearing to rectify some very long standing challenges in our attack over the last month. There is every reason to be quietly confident going into the second half of the season. And before you cry "CC" we have never been great at it during our glory run, its a distraction, and not the main prize. Our performance vs Warrington was poor, but seems to have sparked the need to overhaul a lot of the teams structures, which can only be a good thing in the long run.

I said were signing up to 4 players. Some fed trained, some not. I am in the camp of I would prefer 2-3 and Blake stay as I think with a proper off-season and continuing to rebuild the confidence hes lost in the NRL he could be one of the best wingers in the league next season.

I personally haven't scorned anyone have I? I have scorned signing a fullback for the sake of signing a player, because we have the very best one we could hope to have. What I have said is any signing we do make needs to be made in not only the consideration of does it improve the squad (and based on the last performance I saw, replacing Hurrell with Ikavalu definitely wouldnt do that) but the consideration of its impact on the kids as well. Equally, whenever I do criticise the club (cough Ritson cough) I get accused of all sorts anyway. I openly admit that the club messed up with Grace, I openly admit the club handled whatever caused the Blake signing to drag out as long as it did poorly, and I am often critical of the comms that theyre putting out. I dont consider that blindly following at all.

But in the same breath, I am not going to imagine the worst possible situation, and then beat the club with my imagined situation, simple because news hasn't been released yet. The club, whether you like it or not, have gotten more right than wrong since Cunningham left, and deserve just a bit of breathing space and trust to make these decisions.
I don't disagree with most of what you've said there, I do however have to take issue with your comparison of our WCC and the aftermath compared with Wigan. In all honesty it was a home game for them (albeit a big one), with none of the disruption of travel, time zones, completely different climate, etc, etc. The idea that Wigan "played through it" re winning the WCC and Saints didn't I think is unfair. Saints winning in Oz with all the aforementioned stacked against them was a far bigger deal mentally and physically to Wigan winning a home game where they were the beneficiaries of some bizarre decisions, to put it mildly.

Why are people creaming themselves over David Armstrong anyway ?
They guys 23 and only just managed to get an NRL contract. If he was that spectacular a player then he'd have been playing NRL for the last 3 - 4 years and other NRL clubs wouild now be falling over themselves to offer him a big money contract. He's played a sum total of 5 NRL games and people are are talking like Leigh are getting James Tedesco or Reece Walsh
People said that about Jai Field and Bevan French too.

I could fill a novel with the names of people who have doubted Mr. Big and lost their shirts over the last twenty two years. Ye of little faith ... tsk. :unsure:
Hope we add another chapter to that. However, he's looking more Mr Home Bargains than Mr Big at the moment. It'd be lovely to announce a quality signing out of nowhere about now.

People said that about Jai Field and Bevan French too.
Field is massively over-rated, French is Wigans main attacking threat, plus French had around 3 years and 50 NRL games under his belt.
For every French there's a dozen flops. Look at Lachlan Miller at Leeds, pace to burn, bigged up as the next superstar FB to take SL by storm - He's been a total flop in most of his games.

One thing Lam does get right is finding gems from the NRL. He signed French and Field when at Wigan ,Asiata for Leigh, his own son Lachlan and now Armstrong. There's probably others that I've forgottten about

One thing Lam does get right is finding gems from the NRL. He signed French and Field when at Wigan ,Asiata for Leigh, his own son Lachlan and now Armstrong. There's probably others that I've forgottten about
You can add Amone & Ipape to that

I suspect that the only "excitement" we will get in respect of transfers and the like will be giving Hurrell another year and keeping Blake. Seems to be a total lack of ambition from the club.

Swear we could win the League n Grandfinal and you’d be pissed off we haven’t signed a player in a position we don’t need to recruit for.

Genuinely, chill out. Club have barely done any wrong for years, board and coaches know what they’re doing.

Or shall we go sign 8 props, 4 second rows, 2 full backs and a partridge in a pear tree so RedVee forums are happy we got numbers in regardless of ability, character and actual positions we need to go for.

Lets be brutal here; Does Mbye at halfback weaken us? Dodd has been in doodoo form for the last 18 months, virtually everyone has been critical of him.
I think over the course of a season we might regret that move. Mbye is slow and Lomax is showing worrying signs of a rapid decline, after being an elite player for so long. If there is no injection of quality and individual threat in the backs, I think it could add massive pressure to the halves. It's like the criticism of Newcastle by Andrew Johns, neither Mbye or Lomax is going to trouble the line running the ball. If we're dominant in the pack as we can be, it might work, but I'm far from convinced with the decline in Walmsley and Paasi and the chances of getting them both on the field together for most of the season. Hopefully it's a mute point and Whitby quickly takes his shirt off him when he gets a chance next year.

Unlike you the club can’t base it’s purchases or agenda on what if’s. They can’t buy players of a particular playing style on the basis of Walmsley and Paasi not playing together or not being effective, because they could also tear it up.

Swear we could win the League n Grandfinal and you’d be pissed off we haven’t signed a player in a position we don’t need to recruit for.

Genuinely, chill out. Club have barely done any wrong for years, board and coaches know what they’re doing.

Or shall we go sign 8 props, 4 second rows, 2 full backs and a partridge in a pear tree so RedVee forums are happy we got numbers in regardless of ability, character and actual positions we need to go for.
Fans are allowed to discuss the club and the potential for signings. For all the childish shouts you lot make about what people are asking for, there is a lot of validity in the discussion. The squad is unbalanced, and recent recruitment hasn't been of the same quality as previously. There is only Welsby in the backs who is a star and Mata'utia, Sironen, Lees and Walmsley are doing a lot of carrying in the pack. We are desperate for a freshening up of the backs in particular, but anyone calling for signings is mocked, as if there's some great squad development going on. There's not, we left it to late because the squad was successful and we've left ourselves in a position where we have a lot to do in a short period of time given the age of some of our key players and the possibility of a lot of quality leaving next season.

The idea of a 'bums on seats' signing or two is a valid one too. I can't remember the last genuinely exciting signing the club made, Barba possibly? It's something the club needs to think about. We've got to give the likes of Welsby and the new kids something to stick around for, if we're not in the hunt for trophies, they'll be off to the NRL quicker.

The idea of a 'bums on seats' signing or two is a valid one too. I can't remember the last genuinely exciting signing the club made, Barba possibly? It's something the club needs to think about. We've got to give the likes of Welsby and the new kids something to stick around for, if we're not in the hunt for trophies, they'll be off to the NRL quicker.

So our last bums on seat signing was Barba, yet we won nothing until the year after he left us? Maybe it's not a bums on seat signing we need after all.

Due to playing much better over recent weeks all the negative (Wellens bashing) threads have been put on the back burner for now, which has turned this into the one place left for a good old fashioned whinge.

Just for the record:

Coote announced in September
Paasi announced in November
Sironen announce in September.
Matautia announced in November.
Whitley announaced in October
Blake announced in January.

We have traditionally always left it to late to make announcements. Just because we don't throw names around all over social media like plenty of others do doesn't mean we are doing nopthing. Without searching back, i would put good money on people critising the club in those years also for 'lack of signings'. It is currently the middle of June. The way some are talking it's like the 2025 season starts next week.

Just for the record:

Coote announced in September
Paasi announced in November
Sironen announce in September.
Matautia announced in November.
Whitley announaced in October
Blake announced in January.

We have traditionally always left it to late to make announcements. Just because we don't throw names around all over social media like plenty of others do doesn't mean we are doing nopthing. Without searching back, i would put good money on people critising the club in those years also for 'lack of signings'. It is currently the middle of June. The way some are talking it's like the 2025 season starts next week.
The club have probably realised that a lot of fans have memories like gold fish. If they announce a new signing in June we will all be back online in August asking for another one.

I am not sure how many times it needs to be said; Welsby isn't being moved from fullback. He doesn't want to move from fullback (if he ever goes to the NRL, its comfortably the best paid position), Saints don't want to move him from fullback (its the position that touches the ball most, and offers the most freedom in terms of chiming into the line). Hes not a better 6, and no one at the club thinks hes better in the halves. Flat out, he is the best fullback in the league. Shoot me down but he would be top 4 in the NRL.

So signing another fullback would just be stupid; and thats before we get into the same old conversation of "we don't have any non-fed spots currently so we cant just sign someone" - if we release Hurrell, we need to backfill him with a centre (fed options include ... Sutcliffe?), release Blake, and its needing 2 fed trained wingers, release Matautia and we need another prop.

So your right, we didn't try with Armstrong, but its not lazy, its just not what were looking for. We are talking to outside backs - its been repeatedly stated, and just because there arent names flying around doesnt mean it isnt happening and it doesnt mean were "far down the pecking order"
Don’t watch enough NRL to know if he would be top 4. But I think the rest of your post is exactly right.

Come on, guys, we all know that Saddo’s glass isn’t half empty, it’s completely empty. He really cares for Saints, but doesn’t get that it’s our Academy players that are the mainstay of our success. We hopefully have some superstars coming along, we have to be patient. We aren’t the most successful team in Super League without a reason. And there aren’t any more Jamie Lyons out there. Incidentally, I believe that Waqa Blake has been an outstanding signing.

Those signings may have been announced late but apart from Blake and Coote (who replaced the outgoing Barba who announced he was leaving late in the season) we all know most of those signings were happening well in advance. Whitley for example we all knew had signed around May/June time last year even though it was only announced at the end of the season.

Recruitment links are absolutely dead at the moment. We haven't been linked with one player. The last time I remember our recruitment being this quiet was a couple of years ago, but that was because only Regan Grace was leaving and therefore cap space was limited. Even then I remember us being linked to Denny Solomona and Matty Russell (thank God that didn't happen) before we eventually signed Ritson.

We know for a fact two good earners in Makinson and Dodd are leaving and there's currently a few more undetermined, so we know theres cap space to play with. I'm sure there are things ongoing behind the scenes but you've all got to admit it's eerily quiet currently.

Those signings may have been announced late but apart from Blake and Coote (who replaced the outgoing Barba who announced he was leaving late in the season) we all know most of those signings were happening well in advance. Whitley for example we all knew had signed around May/June time last year even though it was only announced at the end of the season.

Recruitment links are absolutely dead at the moment. We haven't been linked with one player. The last time I remember our recruitment being this quiet was a couple of years ago, but that was because only Regan Grace was leaving and therefore cap space was limited. Even then I remember us being linked to Denny Solomona and Matty Russell (thank God that didn't happen) before we eventually signed Ritson.

We know for a fact two good earners in Makinson and Dodd are leaving and there's currently a few more undetermined, so we know theres cap space to play with. I'm sure there are things ongoing behind the scenes but you've all got to admit it's eerily quiet currently.

I’ll give you Whitley last season but i don’t remember too many rumours around the others on the list. Could that be due to his links with the town already maybe?

Most of the time rumours are a load of rubbish. You’ve just said yourself regarding Solomona/Russell rumours, turned out to be nothing at all. It only takes one person to say we are talking to player X and it snow balls but more often than not it’s incorrect anyway so i don’t see any need for names to be thrown around.

We’ve literally had people in here claiming to be in the know saying we are talking to players, maybe the club are doing a good job of keeping the names in-house but thats the rumour right there… we’re talking to players.

The point still stands either way, it’s currently June and we traditionally leave it late to announce things. At this stage it is just moaning for moanings sake. If we’ve not announced anything by the end of the season, then crack on. If we do then no doubt there will something else to whinge about by then anyway 😂

So our last bums on seat signing was Barba, yet we won nothing until the year after he left us? Maybe it's not a bums on seat signing we need after all.

Due to playing much better over recent weeks all the negative (Wellens bashing) threads have been put on the back burner for now, which has turned this into the one place left for a good old fashioned whinge.
It's about balance isn't it. Obviously we don't want to turn into Warrington and throw daft money at star names without any due dilligence. But conversely, we need something to make the place vibrant and get people excited. In sport a good signing does that. If we just renew Konrad, Blake and Sione, would that leave you chomping at the bit for next season? I think a lot of people on here are very complacent because of the 4 in a row and an arrogant belief that we'll stay at the top just because we're Saints. And by the way, calling for signings and wondering what the club is doing (See Blobby's excellent post) isn't moaning. Wondering why we haven't gone for Davies/Armstrong/Broadbent/Johnstone/Nui/Iro et al isn't moaning either.

On Wellens. of course us playing well and winning makes people criticise the coach less, it goes without saying. He deserved the criticism when he was getting it and he deserves the positivity now and he'll get it if the good performances continue.

There tends to be a really simple rule for this; players based in SL off contract we tend to know on the whole before the announcements, NRL based players can go from mentioned once or twice through to being completely left field (as I recall Mata’utia and Sironen were, and Blake definitely was).

Given the suggestions so far it would hardly seem unlikely we’re looking exclusively at NRL players. Even with the likes of Murphy and Pryce as fed trained signings.

Back
Top Bottom