Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

Resign

On a related note, I watched the video from last week of Burns and Vaughan being handed their debut shirts by Roby and Lomax respectively. What struck me was Wellens' persona and (lack of gravitas) on display. He appears so uncomfortable in front of them, his body language is classic 'in retreat', his voice and language contain no presence whatsoever and he has zero eye contact with the people in the room.

I know he's awkward in front of the cameras, which is forgivable as not everyone is natural, but I suspected he'd have a tad more 'boss' about him with the players.

On a related note, I watched the video from last week of Burns and Vaughan being handed their debut shirts by Roby and Lomax respectively. What struck me was Wellens' persona and (lack of gravitas) on display. He appears so uncomfortable in front of them, his body language is classic 'in retreat', his voice and language contain no presence whatsoever and he has zero eye contact with the people in the room.

I know he's awkward in front of the cameras, which is forgivable as not everyone is natural, but I suspected he'd have a tad more 'boss' about him with the players.
I have just seen the video and I thought exactly the same thing. He looks absolutely battered and quite lost.

Notice how the lads are talking about how these kids perform in training and how respect is earned in that environment from the senior pros. Because when people are yapping on about why X, Y & Z aren't getting picked they are basing their arguments solely on performance they see in academy football whilst having no knowledge whatsoever about whether they are killing it in this arena or lollygagging around and wasting everyone's time. There are a bunch of kids currently training with the first team. The fact that Burns, Vaughan and Stephens have been accepted into the fraternity whilst other players - who might have been in this environment much longer - have never been selected once is illuminating.

Quoted by Matt Shaw

It's also been suggested that Briers would be considered as an addition to Saints coac

They will have to get another chair in the coaching box.
They'll have to extend the box, nevermind another chair.

Wellens one year extension, Briers in, Fraysinous out perhaps.

If he's coming in as an assistant then Wellens will increasingly become a lame duck until Briers takes over the Head Coach role for 2026.

If he's coming in as an assistant then Wellens will increasingly become a lame duck until Briers takes over the Head Coach role for 2026.
The suggestion seems to be Briers doesn't want a head coach role and is happy as an assistant. I can absolutely see why people would want to stay as assistants, when you're a head coach the stress shoots up and you're liable for everything.

He seems to have found his niche in being an excellent attack coach and may not want to disrupt what is working for him.

Back
Top Bottom