Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

Ok, so where are we up to with injuries at the moment?

Could mean absolutely nothing but Wellens didn't rule Knowles out, just said unlikely and then Sironen just shared a post on Insta from a gym about the lads being down training and Knowles is there.

I am looking for any hope but who knows.
No Knowles in the squad.

Could mean absolutely nothing but Wellens didn't rule Knowles out, just said unlikely and then Sironen just shared a post on Insta from a gym about the lads being down training and Knowles is there.

I am looking for any hope but who knows.
Saints have been putting pictures/videos on recently of the players in the gym & Knowles was on them so it won’t mean anything I’m afraid, don’t even think Sironens post was Saints related, just think they were at a gym.

Bizarrely my mate messaged the same thing about that post with Knowles haha

We gain any more casualties after last nights improvement? anyone?

Anyone ITK if there are any returnees for Wanky?
We must persist with youth, bit disappointed not to see more of Vaughan, cannot understand why he didnt start at centre?

Is it something to do with they get upgraded contract when the vultures from NRL spotting them?
I also aware they need time and be introduced gradually, but some talent like Welsby actually gain by getting introduced whilst young.

We gain any more casualties after last nights improvement? anyone?

Anyone ITK if there are any returnees for Wanky?
We must persist with youth, bit disappointed not to see more of Vaughan, cannot understand why he didnt start at centre?

Is it something to do with they get upgraded contract when the vultures from NRL spotting them?
I also aware they need time and be introduced gradually, but some talent like Welsby actually gain by getting introduced whilst young.
There's certainly an argument for putting Vaughan in the centres for his defence. But aside from Percy being out of position once and Davies making a similar error that wasn't really an issue. We use our centres as midfield battering rams. Against Wigan's enormous pack Vaughan just doesn't have the size to get anything other than starched. Not helping the kid, there. And if he's not big enough to play against Wigan in the centres he's certainly not big enough to be playing back row. I've no problems with Vaughan. With another year in the gym behind him he'll be a top, top player. But he's not ready yet. The fact that Wellens left it so long suggests he thinks similarly. On this point he's probably right. But there's no excuse for not using Burns and Stephens more liberally. Neither of those players are outmuscled physically. Stephens didn't get much opportunity but when he was taking it to the Wigan forwards they were going backwards all night. Pity it was just a cameo performance.

There's certainly an argument for putting Vaughan in the centres for his defence. But aside from Percy being out of position once and Davies making a similar error that wasn't really an issue. We use our centres as midfield battering rams. Against Wigan's enormous pack Vaughan just doesn't have the size to get anything other than starched. Not helping the kid, there. And if he's not big enough to play against Wigan in the centres he's certainly not big enough to be playing back row. I've no problems with Vaughan. With another year in the gym behind him he'll be a top, top player. But he's not ready yet. The fact that Wellens left it so long suggests he thinks similarly. On this point he's probably right. But there's no excuse for not using Burns and Stephens more liberally. Neither of those players are outmuscled physically. Stephens didn't get much opportunity but when he was taking it to the Wigan forwards they were going backwards all night. Pity it was just a cameo performance.
Totally disagree Jack, if you are good enough.
We had a carthorse in the centres who is not the future of Saints.

Totally disagree Jack, if you are good enough.
We had a carthorse in the centres who is not the future of Saints.
If Vaughan wants to displace Davies he'll have to make the decision an easy one for Wellens to make. He's getting chances now. Up to him. But if Saints don't fancy him in the centres anyway and continue to put him in the back row (where I think he's being set up to fail if I'm being honest) - it hardly matters.

If Vaughan wants to displace Davies he'll have to make the decision an easy one for Wellens to make. He's getting chances now. Up to him. But if Saints don't fancy him in the centres anyway and continue to put him in the back row (where I think he's being set up to fail if I'm being honest) - it hardly matters.
Can you class getting chances as 6 minutes

Can you class getting chances as 6 minutes
If you haven't got enough time to prove you are good enough to stay in the team just make sure you don't do something which guarantees you'll be out of it and live to fight another day.

Stephens looked like he had far more minutes in him last night and expected to see him on For the last ten minutes where he would make a difference. That was his 7th SL game so he is clearly improving and moving the ball forward well. When the opposition is tired you need one forward who’ll break first tackle, where he bounced off Havard, make another 12 yards with Marshall hanging on, find your front and play the ball quick and wide n two more tackles we’ve scored. Have him tackle less and carry more

Stephens looked like he had far more minutes in him last night and expected to see him on For the last ten minutes where he would make a difference. That was his 7th SL game so he is clearly improving and moving the ball forward well. When the opposition is tired you need one forward who’ll break first tackle, where he bounced off Havard, make another 12 yards with Marshall hanging on, find your front and play the ball quick and wide n two more tackles we’ve scored. Have him tackle less and carry more
I think part of the problem lies with Stephens himself. If you watch him closely he tends to defer to senior players (such as Lees and Paasi) putting their hands up for the carry. It's perfectly understandable that a rookie forward will step aside in such circumstances. But Lees & Delaney will ALWAYS put their hands up for the ball. Even when they're completely gassed and unable to do much else than submit to a tackle. But this is no good for the team. Noah has to recognize that when he's on after the first forward rotation he's got to be shoving those players out of the way and demanding the ball. Because he's the fresh man. We need his go-forward far more than we need Lees & Delaney's commendable but fruitless energy-drained carries.

Maybe start toMonfqy. 6th on
I think part of the problem lies with Stephens himself. If you watch him closely he tends to defer to senior players (such as Lees and Paasi) putting their hands up for the carry. It's perfectly understandable that a rookie forward will step aside in such circumstances. But Lees & Delaney will ALWAYS put their hands up for the ball. Even when they're completely gassed and unable to do much else than submit to a tackle. But this is no good for the team. Noah has to recognize that when he's on after the first forward rotation he's got to be shoving those players out of the way and demanding the ball. Because he's the fresh man. We need his go-forward far more than we need Lees & Delaney's commendable but fruitless energy-drained carries.
absolutely agreed. There were at least three occasions Stephens ran his line but Clarke passed to another runner on a different angle who inevitably got crunched and Noah was the foil. I think Stephens stats so far are approx 60% tackle break on the first hit then averages about 8 yards a carry and finds his front 80% in the tackle for quick PTB. But he is only 19 and was up against Thompson, Harvard, Dupree, Byrne, Hill. Mago and Walter’s all of whom he had a stronger average carry stats in the game. He has at least another 15 mins in him last night

absolutely agreed. There were at least three occasions Stephens ran his line but Clarke passed to another runner on a different angle who inevitably got crunched and Noah was the foil. I think Stephens stats so far are approx 60% tackle break on the first hit then averages about 8 yards a carry and finds his front 80% in the tackle for quick PTB. But he is only 19 and was up against Thompson, Harvard, Dupree, Byrne, Hill. Mago and Walter’s all of whom he had a stronger average carry stats in the game. He has at least another 15 mins in him last night
Again, it gets me back to the Clarke dilemma. As a runner of the ball there are few better. But his distribution isn't of the same standard. I don't think it's any coincidence that once Warrington got shut they were suddenly able to move the ball much quicker and had greater guile around the ruck.

If you haven't got enough time to prove you are good enough to stay in the team just make sure you don't do something which guarantees you'll be out of it and live to fight another day.
Vaughan is better than Davies now and needs to play. Davies offers nothing, Percival Blake and Ritson all took tough carries out of yardage numerous times unlike Davies.

Vaughan is better than Davies now and needs to play. Davies offers nothing, Percival Blake and Ritson all took tough carries out of yardage numerous times unlike Davies.
Vaughan hasn't done anything yet. And I don't expect a great deal for the rest of this season. Certainly not in the pack.

Vaughan hasn't done anything yet. And I don't expect a great deal for the rest of this season. Certainly not in the pack.
What do you want him to do in 6 minutes and limited time against Cas. He at least showed urgency and a willingness to work in both his appearances. I've watched him since his Blackbrook years and I've coached against him he's a talent. He offers far more than Davies so just pick him at centre and let him develop.

What do you want him to do in 6 minutes and limited time against Cas. He at least showed urgency and a willingness to work in both his appearances. I've watched him since his Blackbrook years and I've coached against him he's a talent. He offers far more than Davies so just pick him at centre and let him develop.
They don't seem to want him at centre. And he certainly aint big enough to play back row.

Back
Top Bottom