Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

Life, Politics, Society, Beer

Sturgeon to resign.

Seismic

She's hated by many, but is the best politician of any of the party leaders. I can foresee a bit of a civil war within the SNP now, as different wings have re-emerged seeking different directions.

Labour will be rubbing its hands.

Sturgeon to resign.

Seismic

She's hated by many, but is the best politician of any of the party leaders. I can foresee a bit of a civil war within the SNP now, as different wings have re-emerged seeking different directions.

Labour will be rubbing its hands.

If shes the best then the bar isnt very high, she was doomed when she introduced legislation that could put 50% of the population at risk.

Scotland has a great deal of autotomy outside the UK government, the West Lothian question has never been satisfactorily answered. Therfore the SNP will always be stuck between a pig and and a poke:

On the one hand they are in charge of the Scottish parliament and govern Scotland, if they do this very well then it weakens their independence ideology, since if things are going so well for Scotland within the UK, why change anything?

On the other-hand if they don't do a good job but just blame Westminster for all of Scotland's woes (see the EU and the Tory governments), then you are left with the the fact that they aren't very good at running things so why would we want to follow them, unless it is through jingoistic petty nationalism.

Nicola Sturgeon realised this and tried to cause fights with the UK over anything and everything to mobilise the cheap nationalism. The Gender Reform act was done only to provoke the UK government into (rightly IMO) intervening.

If shes the best then the bar isnt very high, she was doomed when she introduced legislation that could put 50% of the population at risk.

Well we got to the 'trans issue' rather quickly.

FWIW, I view it as an incredibly complex and nuanced debate where I can appreciate parts of both 'sides' of the argument. But I'm not getting embroiled in a debate on it, as it soon turns toxic with zealots from both ends of the argument soon getting into 'unpleasantness' territory and descend into hurling cliched ad homs at each other.

Every politician that has dipped a toe into the topic has been scalded. Some have recoiled quickly and walked away, others have stuck their whole foot in it and reaped the subsequent whirlwind. That's why most senior politicians choose to keep kicking the can down the road.

Well we got to the 'trans issue' rather quickly.

FWIW, I view it as an incredibly complex and nuanced debate where I can appreciate parts of both 'sides' of the argument. But I'm not getting embroiled in a debate on it, as it soon turns toxic with zealots from both ends of the argument soon getting into 'unpleasantness' territory and descend into hurling cliched ad homs at each other.

Every politician that has dipped a toe into the topic has been scalded. Some have recoiled quickly and walked away, others have stuck their whole foot in it and reaped the subsequent whirlwind. That's why most senior politicians choose to keep kicking the can down the road.

Its the issue that’s ultimately pushed her to resign, i dont think we should be blind to that. Its an issue far more complex than a single bill pushed through with little consultation with 50% of the population, people that the change would have greatly affected.

Its the issue that’s ultimately pushed her to resign, i dont think we should be blind to that. Its an issue far more complex than a single bill pushed through with little consultation with 50% of the population, people that the change would have greatly affected.

Maybe it is. But worth noting that this was a cross-party bill, 6 years in the making, was very similar to the one the UK govt (under May) were looking at before they shelved it, voted for in the SP by all the LD's and Greens, most of the SNP and Labour, plus 3 Tories.

Maybe it is. But worth noting that this was a cross-party bill, 6 years in the making, was very similar to the one the UK govt (under May) were looking at before they shelved it, voted for in the SP by all the LD's and Greens, most of the SNP and Labour, plus 3 Tories.

If she really believed in this then she should have bided her time and pushed for Uk wide legislation (since it was already a consideration from the May gov). But she knew the current gov wants to stoke cultural wars (since they have run out of ideas) so she deliberately forced this on the Scottish people to generate conflict with the UK government to further stoke her petty nationalist agenda.

It all blew up in her face with the Scottish rapist just claiming to be a woman. However this highlighted that such a complex issue cannot be distilled down to a binary argument.

She spent all her political energy on independence and neglected the most vulnerable people of Scotland (drug deaths one of the highest in Europe) the NHS significantly worse than the rest of the UK, totally neglecting the highlands with the farcical ferry contracts etc…

The SNP have always just been a protest party tapping into discontent of the middle income (traditional labour) people of the central belt.

They have had 2 decades of government in Scotland if Scotland is still struggling then they are to blame.

If she really believed in this then she should have bided her time and pushed for Uk wide legislation (since it was already a consideration from the May gov). But she knew the current gov wants to stoke cultural wars (since they have run out of ideas) so she deliberately forced this on the Scottish people to generate conflict with the UK government to further stoke her petty nationalist agenda.

It all blew up in her face with the Scottish rapist just claiming to be a woman. However this highlighted that such a complex issue cannot be distilled down to a binary argument.

She spent all her political energy on independence and neglected the most vulnerable people of Scotland (drug deaths one of the highest in Europe) the NHS significantly worse than the rest of the UK, totally neglecting the highlands with the farcical ferry contracts etc…

The SNP have always just been a protest party tapping into discontent of the middle income (traditional labour) people of the central belt.

They have had 2 decades of government in Scotland if Scotland is still struggling then they are to blame.

I agree with you on the motives for driving through the GRR. She knew what she was doing, and that the UK Govt would likely respond as they did.

Disagree on much of the rest. Remember that the Scottish Parliament has its hands tied in terms of funding, with only a very small amount of leeway to raise taxation levels slightly. They suffer from the savage cuts to public services that the UK as a whole has had to endure since 2010. Not saying the SNP government is totally blameless, because they've made some mistakes. But when public services across the UK are being deliberately underfunded, blaming the SNP for problems that afflict the UK nationally is a little unfair.

Looking at the candidates to have so far thrown their hat in the ring isn't very inspiring. I can foresee a rise if factionalism in the SNP, and reckon people will look back on the past several years as a high water mark for the party.

Pity, as I'd like to see the UK fragment.

Had a particularly nice stout last night in a lovely pub in Leeds city centre, I'm buggered if I can remember the name though now :D

I see the frog-faced fascist is trying to be an MP again. Come on, Clacton, make it 8 failures for this malevolent little turd.

Back
Top Bottom