Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

Lee Briers

What nobody has mentioned is that Briers may have done a great job at Brisbane, but look at the players he has to work with. There is a bit of a difference changing the playing style of a team that has the likes of Walsh, Cobbo, Staggs, Arthars, Mam etc to implement the changes, and a team with Hurrell, Bennison, Davies, etc.
It will mean he will either have to incorporate the youngsters or that we will need to RECRUIT.
Either way, he is not the magic bullet if we don't have the quality players we need.

What nobody has mentioned is that Briers may have done a great job at Brisbane, but look at the players he has to work with. There is a bit of a difference changing the playing style of a team that has the likes of Walsh, Cobbo, Staggs, Arthars, Mam etc to implement the changes, and a team with Hurrell, Bennison, Davies, etc.
It will mean he will either have to incorporate the youngsters or that we will need to RECRUIT.
Either way, he is not the magic bullet if we don't have the quality players we need.
On the flipside, look at the backline on paper that Salford had against us the other week and the rugby they played.

It's true you can't polish a turd but you can at least roll it in glitter.

On the flipside, look at the backline on paper that Salford had against us the other week and the rugby they played.

It's true you can't polish a turd but you can at least roll it in glitter.
:ROFLMAO: What I hope is that Briers would be bringing the likes of Whitby and Robertson through the ranks quickly. I think that perhaps the enthusiasm and lack of inhibition of youth (if it is allowed its head) combined with Welsby, Percival , Lomax and MBye and the experience they bring, along with one or two astute signings in the backs, could make our backline a much more attractive proposition next season.

A few weeks ago when I heard the rumours of Lee Briers coming to saints I mentioned this to one of my friends (a season ticket holder at Wigan) and his response was "I bloody hope not". So its not just in Australia that he is held in such high regard its by supporters of our arch enemy, let's hope it's not just a rumour .

I've watched Lee's career since he was about 9yrs old playing for Crusaders at Dodd Ave.
I was disappointed that he went to Warrington but it was the right move for him at the time.
I think him going to Australia to get experience has been a good thing But.... are we going down the same road again expecting a talented player to become a good coach.
Lee, like KC was a naturally talented player but it doesn't mean he can teach that to someone else

If he was coming as an assistant to a coach like Holbrook or Woolf, I can see how that would work but I don't see how it works with Wellens.
If anything Lee is more qualified than Wellens but not qualified enough to replace him.

I would see this as a knee jerk reaction to appease fans but I think the structure of coaching at Saints is wrong
I would prefer someone like Holbrook or Woolf as a sort of manager with someone like Wellens or Briers beneath him

I've watched Lee's career since he was about 9yrs old playing for Crusaders at Dodd Ave.
I was disappointed that he went to Warrington but it was the right move for him at the time.
I think him going to Australia to get experience has been a good thing But.... are we going down the same road again expecting a talented player to become a good coach.
Lee, like KC was a naturally talented player but it doesn't mean he can teach that to someone else

If he was coming as an assistant to a coach like Holbrook or Woolf, I can see how that would work but I don't see how it works with Wellens.
If anything Lee is more qualified than Wellens but not qualified enough to replace him.

I would see this as a knee jerk reaction to appease fans but I think the structure of coaching at Saints is wrong
I would prefer someone like Holbrook or Woolf as a sort of manager with someone like Wellens or Briers beneath him
I think people are expecting an attack coach who seems to have worked wonders at both Wigan and Brisbane to have a positive effect on our tragically lame attack.

I think people are expecting an attack coach who seems to have worked wonders at both Wigan and Brisbane to have a positive effect on our tragically lame attack.
I've not seen much of Bribane this year and I think Wigans main attack revolves around one exceptionally good player so I'm not too convinced that Lee had too much influence there.

I think a coaching team of Wellens, Briers & Matty Smith would be too much alike
I'd prefer an older head in the background who has been there, done it and got the T shirt to take the pressure off the coach then Wellens or Briers in charge of the team

Briers just has to be a better attack coach than Fraysinous

Can’t be that hard can it? Even some basic more expansive attacking structure would be an improvement

Lee Briers will work wonders when he returns, particularly with the likes of Whitby and Robertson. It’s not about him having French and Field at Wigan, or Walsh, Mam, and Reynolds at the Broncos. He worked wonders with Smith at Wigan and we won’t be hearing bullsh**t about him being a nerd and watching hours and hours of videos either. A great appointment when it’s officially announced. Welcome home Lee, let’s get some players announced now for next year on the back of it 👍

I can find way more information about him going to South’s than I can about him coming to Saints. One article saying it’s already a done deal. If the only evidence is a couple of kids chatting, I’m not sure the legs are there with this one personally.

I can find way more information about him going to South’s than I can about him coming to Saints. One article saying it’s already a done deal. If the only evidence is a couple of kids chatting, I’m not sure the legs are there with this one personally.
Come on Rev! Don’t do this to us! We’re desperate for good news here!

You're not the Reverend Jim Jones by any chance? Because talk like that will have half this lot taking a dunk in the Kool-Aid.

From what I can glean out of what I've read (I'm in no way an ITK :D ), he was all set to go to Souths then his wife decided she wanted to return home so he's changed his plans and they're heading back to Blighty. We've subsequently held talks with him.

Back
Top Bottom