Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

Keep Huddersfield off the screen

stroger

made a few posts
Whenever Huddersfield are involved in a tv screening the game's image suffers. Their home games show a near empty stadium which doesn't exactly portray a positive image. Their poor gates are even declining and now trail Salford's!
Away games involving this club, too, do usno favours with 120/150 followers. I feel sorry for the genuine Giants fans (cowbell man excepted) but they really are a liability. Their tv share for the Wire semi attracted a measly 3.5% audience share.
Sorry, but we shoot ourselves in the foot when this club features and they should only be on screen in an away game such as Leeds or Wigan.

Whenever Huddersfield are involved in a tv screening the game's image suffers. Their home games show a near empty stadium which doesn't exactly portray a positive image. Their poor gates are even declining and now trail Salford's!
Away games involving this club, too, do usno favours with 120/150 followers. I feel sorry for the genuine Giants fans (cowbell man excepted) but they really are a liability. Their tv share for the Wire semi attracted a measly 3.5% audience share.
Sorry, but we shoot ourselves in the foot when this club features and they should only be on screen in an away game such as Leeds or Wigan.
I've mentioned the terrible optics that a couple of clubs present to TV viewers. Obviously Huddersfield, as you've mentioned, who look dwarfed and lost in a huge bowl of a football stadium, that even well supported RL sides wouldn't fill. Salford, due to the positioning of the main cameras always looks an empty ground, although other cameras sometimes catch a glimpse of a couple of stands which look well populated. It's a bit like Wembley (so we're not alone re poor TV optics), the main cameras are opposite the area where I presume it's the "prawn sandwich brigade's" seats, since they are always empty before and after half time, no doubt they're guzzling their champers and hob nobbing with the great and the good! It does give a poor impression though, of the stadium and the national sport which we are all supposedly rabid about.

I've mentioned the terrible optics that a couple of clubs present to TV viewers. Obviously Huddersfield, as you've mentioned, who look dwarfed and lost in a huge bowl of a football stadium, that even well supported RL sides wouldn't fill. Salford, due to the positioning of the main cameras always looks an empty ground, although other cameras sometimes catch a glimpse of a couple of stands which look well populated. It's a bit like Wembley (so we're not alone re poor TV optics), the main cameras are opposite the area where I presume it's the "prawn sandwich brigade's" seats, since they are always empty before and after half time, no doubt they're guzzling their champers and hob nobbing with the great and the good! It does give a poor impression though, of the stadium and the national sport which we are all supposedly rabid about.

RL has an annoying knack of having their main TV gantries pointing at stands that aren't the fullest.

Even we do it at TWS, pointing at the North Stand which, although is never as empty as some grounds, is less full than the South apart from games where we get around +13k/14k attendances

It's the same with Wembley

IMG not doing anything to fill the stadium?
They should be giving tickets away to schools all over London filling it up and exposing youngsters to Rugby League.

I cringe when I see empty stadiums on tv.

It is a strange one. Huddersfield pre 1965 had a very healthy following, it was up there with the top 5 supported clubs. Then the decline began. The stadium "Fartown" aged dramatically and as with many Yorkshire clubs a committee system ran the cricket, bowls and RL each with its specific parochial needs. These people tended to need a small renumeration from the asset and did not have personal wealth to invest.

Year on year, playing standards declined and less money was available for signings and ground improvements. Fast forward to 1976 and the Saints V Keighley CC Semi was the last major game at Fartown and it was in a sorry state. Huddersfield average attendances had sunk from mid teens in the fifties to literally hundreds in the early eighties.

It is fair to say the council saved RL in Huddersfield, they were given in exchange for Fartown 15% of the McAlpine Stadium, as part of the ground share with Huddersfield Town AFC, facilitated by the council.

The game changer was Ken Davy whose late wife was a "Fartown" fan with her parents in the fifties. Since his purchase Davy has funded it big time. CC Finals have come and been lost, the LLS was won, but from incremental rises in support from 1999 to 2010 when six/seven thousand crowds had become quite the norm, it is now sinking back year on year with frankly only one realistic conclusion when Ken passes.

The solution? Perhaps there isn't one, Batley have a really tidy stadium very close by and super league on the road for the Salford/London/Other type games may work. Thinking about Maurice the Merger, Huddersfield/Halifax could that work at The Shay? It does emphasis even big clubs can lose relevance and support. Its still a good away day though.

That cowbell tw*t has probably driven them all away. When I used to sit on the South Stand near the away-end 20m line, there were a couple of times I didn't bother going purely because it would literally give me a headache and get me wanting to shove the selfish b*stard's frigging bell so far up his...

But it does fascinate me how some towns keep their interest in RL even when the club isn't successful, while for others it absolutely collapses.

That cowbell tw*t has probably driven them all away. When I used to sit on the South Stand near the away-end 20m line, there were a couple of times I didn't bother going purely because it would literally give me a headache and get me wanting to shove the selfish b*stard's frigging bell so far up his...

But it does fascinate me how some towns keep their interest in RL even when the club isn't successful, while for others it absolutely collapses.
I have to mute my tv when Huddersfield are playing at home or I am assaulted by the constant "thud" of a cowbell through my centre speaker

I have a similar issue with the drum at Leeds as well

I have to mute my tv when Huddersfield are playing at home or I am assaulted by the constant "thud" of a cowbell through my centre speaker

I have a similar issue with the drum at Leeds as well

I go to hardly any away games, so it's not so much an issue for me - but yes, I totally understand and agree

Back
Top Bottom