Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

Harry Robertson

Yes but they finished next to bottom only a very poor Newcastle saved them from going down. Like I said I'd imagine they are aiming at least mid table safety this season and must win games with teams on the same points are ahead in this next month.
If I were the Swinton coach and my choice was to have no recognised half back or to have one of the best young academy half backs in the country who's played for Lancashire & England at that level. I know which i'd be choosing.
Because of the DR with Saints i've watched a few of the Swinton games this year and their No 7 Gibson I think his name is, is an awful defender with zero pace. So if anything Whitby would be a step up for them in that position.

In the end I think it may come down to 2 things - how much influence Saints have on getting their players picked with Swinton and whether saints actually want to play Whitby for the Reserves this weekend against London.

Robertson isn't painfully thin. He's tall, very broad as well and will have a perfect RL phyique when he fills out a bit and his size will be one of his main strengths. He isn't too small to play in Super League now, he's as big as the Senior brothers were when they came through, similar to Welsby and Bennison when they first played etc.
Be careful, it almost sounds like you’re saying we don’t need to sign a half and the club is doing the right thing planning long term with youth at the core.

I’ve been watching the Academy for years. In my opinion, Robertson and Whitby are two of the best to come through the system, and there have been some belters. Watching Robertson play on the wing in the last couple of reserve and academy games makes me think he is going to make his first team debut soon, on the wing. Sunday, perhaps?

Be careful, it almost sounds like you’re saying we don’t need to sign a half and the club is doing the right thing planning long term with youth at the core.
If that's the plan I'm all for it. But if I suggest they can play this year, more next year and be pretty much established by the end of the season, I get shot down. Which is it? Are they years off being first team regulars (We need signings) or are they ready to be integrated? (We can accept a drop off next season if there's a clear plan that is stuck to and gametime is given to high potential players and not Davies/Royle and Bennison on renewed contracts, but there's no evidence of it so far).

I agree that’s right strategy, but it means they should begin the integration process immediately and see a bit of first team rugby this year, building time up next season. I still feel the process is too slow

I’m sure that the club give more that a passing thought to how best to integrate these young players. The idea that they don’t have a plan or that their plan is wrong or too slow according to us (who have a infinitesimally small fraction of the day to day insight they have had about these kids for years) is a bit patronising to those running our pathway is it not?

I agree that’s right strategy, but it means they should begin the integration process immediately and see a bit of first team rugby this year, building time up next season. I still feel the process is too slow

I’ve been watching the Academy for years. In my opinion, Robertson and Whitby are two of the best to come through the system, and there have been some belters. Watching Robertson play on the wing in the last couple of reserve and academy games makes me think he is going to make his first team debut soon, on the wing. Sunday, perhaps?
He started at his regular position at 6 scoring 5 try's and then switched to play on the wing at some point in the 2nd half where he picked up a couple more

If that's the plan I'm all for it. But if I suggest they can play this year, more next year and be pretty much established by the end of the season, I get shot down. Which is it? Are they years off being first team regulars (We need signings) or are they ready to be integrated? (We can accept a drop off next season if there's a clear plan that is stuck to and gametime is given to high potential players and not Davies/Royle and Bennison on renewed contracts, but there's no evidence of it so far).
I should imagine the likes of Whitby and Robertson will be transitioned next year with Stephens and and Vaughn the ones for this season. Bennison will probably get a renewed contract to cover for Welsby if Robertson struggles to step up.

Backrower Cowen already in our first team squad possibly might replace Royle or Davies.

We,ve got around 5 talented young players that could step up which is better than previous years, if we can transition 2 or 3 out of those 5 then we could be in a good position for future seasons. As we know needs to be managed correctly and not expose them too early.

Its different situations for different players.
Vaughn probably should have been given some game time by now as he's been training with the 1st team squad full time sine the off-season like Stephens.
Whitby & Roberts were promoted to the 1st team squad but aren't able to train with them full time because of their academic studies which come to an end this month, so they're both stepping up to full time training this month with the 1st team squad. I'd hope that both then get at least a small amount of game time between now and the end of the season along with some DR time at Swinton.
I'm not sure where Robertson is up to with his academic studies I think he may be still a year behind again (if someone knows better then please correct me) and wont be able to train full time until next year so realistically he's a year away from being in a position for a 1st team selection.

That's got to be the plan for his introduction to the first team, there's no other reason to do it if he's carving up at 6.

Watch the Hudds highlights and although the angle isn't ideal for analysis I'd say Whitby looked just as impressive, had his stamp on everything.

It's easier to give forwards, particularly props, a run out as that is where most of the places on the bench stem from. If they look capable then a spell as hooker, as we did with Dodd, seem s to be the way we go about giving them a run.

I should imagine the likes of Whitby and Robertson will be transitioned next year with Stephens and and Vaughn the ones for this season. Bennison will probably get a renewed contract to cover for Welsby if Robertson struggles to step up.

Backrower Cowen already in our first team squad possibly might replace Royle or Davies.

We,ve got around 5 talented young players that could step up which is better than previous years, if we can transition 2 or 3 out of those 5 then we could be in a good position for future seasons. As we know needs to be managed correctly and not expose them too early.

good opportunity this week to integrate a couple more into the the first team. Hopefully Vaughan and Burns at the very least will get a game this week.

Jack Welsby came through and played allsorts of positions before becoming our full back, so it's always been a potential route to the 1st team to play in several positions and to give young players experience. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we saw Robertson playing wing, centre, full back to gain experience before potentially becoming our future 6 once Lomax retires.

I wonder if it'll happen with Whitby aswell? Remember when Dodd played at 9 in short spells to toughen him up defensively? It could be a route for Whitby, whilst also playing some games at 7 too.

Jack Welsby came through and played allsorts of positions before becoming our full back, so it's always been a potential route to the 1st team to play in several positions and to give young players experience. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we saw Robertson playing wing, centre, full back to gain experience before potentially becoming our future 6 once Lomax retires.

I wonder if it'll happen with Whitby aswell? Remember when Dodd played at 9 in short spells to toughen him up defensively? It could be a route for Whitby, whilst also playing some games at 7 too.
I hope so, I think that’s a good way to do it

Back
Top Bottom