Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

Harry Robertson

I’m sure that the club give more that a passing thought to how best to integrate these young players. The idea that they don’t have a plan or that their plan is wrong or too slow according to us (who have a infinitesimally small fraction of the day to day insight they have had about these kids for years) is a bit patronising to those running our pathway is it not?
That’s probably fair. I’m sure they know what they are doing, but I’m impatient to see what they can do and I would like to a some backs with real speed in the side. I’m not sure how much recruitment we need to do, but as Sad says, if they are years away we can’t wait.

Agree, and it reduces the need for some signings which is always good ;)

I'm not sure where this comes from that they must play X amount of games this year if they are to come into contention next year.

Dodd played 3 games in his first season, then played 21 in his second season so basically become a regular (granted majority at hooker). One of those 3 games, was a very weakened side v Salford.

Delaney played 2 games in his first season, then played 20 in his second season, again becoming a regular (also played 6 at Swinton that second season). The 2 games Delaney played where both intentional weakened sides also against Cas/Wakefield, where nearly everyone was rested.

To add a bit of balance, Welsby was more gradual over a couple of years, playing 1 game in his first season, 11 in his second and 17 in his third.

I get what people are saying about putting the young lads in if they are to step up next year, but that's not always the case as shown above. Vaughan has played quite a few games for Swinton this season already, i would expect to see him battling for Hurrells shirt next season. I still expect him to pick up a couple of appearances this season too.

It would be nice to see one or two get a chance over Royle/Davies though, that i think most will agree on. It will be interesting to see what Wellens does this week in terms of team selection.

I'm not sure where this comes from that they must play X amount of games this year if they are to come into contention next year.

Dodd played 3 games in his first season, then played 21 in his second season so basically become a regular (granted majority at hooker). One of those 3 games, was a very weakened side v Salford.

Delaney played 2 games in his first season, then played 20 in his second season, again becoming a regular (also played 6 at Swinton that second season). The 2 games Delaney played where both intentional weakened sides also against Cas/Wakefield, where nearly everyone was rested.

To add a bit of balance, Welsby was more gradual over a couple of years, playing 1 game in his first season, 11 in his second and 17 in his third.

I get what people are saying about putting the young lads in if they are to step up next year, but that's not always the case as shown above. Vaughan has played quite a few games for Swinton this season already, i would expect to see him battling for Hurrells shirt next season. I still expect him to pick up a couple of appearances this season too.

It would be nice to see one or two get a chance over Royle/Davies though, that i think most will agree on. It will be interesting to see what Wellens does this week in terms of team selection.
I agree, it isn’t essential that they play this season very much, but a game or two would be desirable. I can only see that happening if we get more injuries which outs them under more pressure to perform, which is fine of course

The Championship lacks the intensity of SL, but the experience Vaughan is getting at Swinton playing against grown men is invaluable for when he does step into the first team.

The Championship lacks the intensity of SL, but the experience Vaughan is getting at Swinton playing against grown men is invaluable for when he does step into the first team.

Without a doubt, as i said in my post, i don't watch too much reserve rugby but i can imagine it's a step up from that at least. With Vaughan playing in those games, i don't think he will be too far away from a first team game or 2 for us.

Harry Robertson, George Whitby, Owen Dagnall, Billy Keeley,& Jake Davies all in the England Academy squad for test match against France

Can't say I've heard of the last two to be honest. Anyone got any information, position etc?

With each of Grace, Delaney & Stephens, there's been a reluctance of the then coaching team to bring them into the team, with fans having increasingly been calling for their inclusion.

When they did come in, they've shown that they were more than ready.

That Davies kid looks like a player. Was he in the team last year because I vaguely recall someone like him scoring a couple of tries? Tall, mobile and a real handful for a centre-wing pair on defence. As said I'm usually watching the halves but he's caught my attention a couple of times now.

All this talk of Hookers , there is no such thing in Rugby League now only a name.

That Davies kid looks like a player. Was he in the team last year because I vaguely recall someone like him scoring a couple of tries? Tall, mobile and a real handful for a centre-wing pair on defence. As said I'm usually watching the halves but he's caught my attention a couple of times now.
Did he play in the last game vs Hudds? If so, I saw a tall 2nd rower and thought he looked like a handful.

That’s probably fair. I’m sure they know what they are doing, but I’m impatient to see what they can do and I would like to a some backs with real speed in the side. I’m not sure how much recruitment we need to do, but as Sad says, if they are years away we can’t wait.
You are impatient, but so are a lot of us. Or, maybe it’s more waiting in anticipation.

Did he play in the last game vs Hudds? If so, I saw a tall 2nd rower and thought he looked like a handful.
Yeah. Seems very comfortable on an edge. Not sure what his defence is like but he's a problem for defenders. Has the type of frame which will likely scale up.

We need to give them time this season to see how they react and how they do. It's a huge risk committing to integrating multiple academy players into the first team around the same time. If they don't play this year and we find some of them struggle next year, we're then in a pickle. Do you commit to them more or less starting in 2026 anyway and risk them sinking, or do you sign someone then, which would definitely put a block on development pathways?

If he's to have a successful rugby league career he's going to have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Young players have been moved around to gain valuable experience since the beginning of the sport. And nobody mentioned anything about "top wing play". He would be a stand-in gaining some playing time for a game or two (just like Dodd at hooker). I'm not fixing him in that spot forever. And if we get injuries he'll be more valuable than a Robertson or a Dagnall who are probably a year behind him in terms of development. It's no big deal if he drops a couple of high balls or misses a tackle. I'm factoring that in. Jack made a ton of mistakes playing across multiple positions when he first came into the first team. Didn't do him any harm.

As for Robertson - I said he might get a game if we have more injuries (the suggestion was from others that it could be on the wing). But I wouldn't pick him this season because I don't think he's ready.
Sticking him on the bench as a utility half/hooker/winger for the games against London and Cas wouldn't be the worst thing.

Sticking him on the bench as a utility half/hooker/winger for the games against London and Cas wouldn't be the worst thing.
I have no problems with them picking Burns, Vaughan and/or Roberts against London or Cas. Is it likely to happen? Maybe Vaughan. Maybe.

With each of Grace, Delaney & Stephens, there's been a reluctance of the then coaching team to bring them into the team, with fans having increasingly been calling for their inclusion.

When they did come in, they've shown that they were more than ready.
And on the flip side, we had geniuses slating Woolf for playing Welsby.

They know what they are doing

Back
Top Bottom