Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

Eamonn McManus Speaks...

The problem here is we were failing to pick up the requisite amount of points when the team was considerably fitter. Now we have a third banged up, a third crocked and another third of players with under ten games with more difficult games looming. And let's be honest - we gassed at the back end of last season.
This was the issue last year. We lost games in the first 3rd we shouldn't have and then people said oh well it's only March etc.

Every 2 points is the same and if you don't start well you're chasing the game come September but due to the table not being the be all and end all people seem to think it doesn't matter too much which I understand but if you then end up like we are now then it shows the importance.

All well and good releasing statements like that and it does show that all they recognise all is not well however

People are paying good money out every week to watch this absolute dross, if we had our first choice 17 out on Friday or our second choice 17 out we’ll play exactly the same way, 5 drives ending with that pointless kick at the end by whoever (with a couple of drop offs in between)

Leigh in a few weeks is £27 (outrageous by the way) and I’ve not much doubt we’ll sell out that end, he can’t ask fans to keep getting behind the team and the coaching staff when we’re getting nothing back.

Some of it reads to me like he believes we’re only struggling due to injuries which couldn’t be further from the truth.

Based on his comments he’s going to have a decision to make in a few weeks anyway as after Leigh we’ll of most likely lost 5 games in a row and will be 5/6th, if the aim is to truly win trophies as he says then Wellens will be gone.I
I agree, that was the way I read it, that were struggling because of injuries which is clearly not the case. He needs to understand that fans won’t pay hard earned money to watch tactics Wellens has us playing.

For me the key passage is "There is a good portion of the season left and our aims and ambitions are still the same as they were at the beginning of the year."

At first I thought it was reminding Wellens that we need to be in and around contention. But "aims" and "ambitions" are, shall we say, flexible terms. I mean, I have plenty of aims and ambitions. I aim to get up early on a Sunday morning. But it isn't conditional or a demand - and likely never will be. :)

"The players and the club value and need your passionate support but also know that they have to perform in order to deserve it. The chips may well be down as we confront our biggest challenge of the season but we must all meet this head on and together."

To me this says - "Let's forgot about what has happened so far this season, the money people have spent watching the dross that's currently being served up week in, week out, the poor tactics, the playing positional selections, the under utilisation of the youngsters in the squad( that we're only doing now because we have to), losing the games we should have won, etc, etc"

It should have included such things as "We know we haven't lived up to our potential, we have a young coach that's still learning, we are looking to strengthen our squad for next season, etc, etc"

To me, it smacks of the sort of fluff and stuff email you get from your HR team to try and jolly the team along.

Eamonn isn't daft. Hes ALWAYS has his finger on the pulse of the fans and if he sees a situation brewing he'd rather address it early than late. Been this way since he came.
Whilst he certainly isn't daft, and whilst he has been an exceptional leader for the club, I'm not sure he comes close to having his finger on the pulse when it comes to the fanbase.

Someone who truly has his finger on the pulse of the Saints fans would know...
  • we prefer attacking, creative RL, it's in the clubs DNA and is part of the culture of the club.
  • crowds are lower than they should be because for years we have played a god awful style of RL, which has basically kept money off his table year after year.
  • the issue of us being arguably the worst side in the league to watch (style wise, not results) has been a problem for a good while.
Whilst trophies were coming he kept quiet about style of play and didn't seem bothered by us getting 500-1,000 less most weeks than we could have done, because style of play bothered him little. Fair enough, trophies trump all, but having your finger on the pulse means knowing alot of fans were not excited watching us play.

Only now has he said anything, months after most of us raised issues, and years after some of us pretty much gave up on him and Rush prioritising attacking RL and getting the most bums on seats they could to watch us. And it isn't the week to week performances that are bothering him, it's results. He thinks we're pissed off because we've lost a couple of games, and might get a dusting at Wigan. For some that is true of course, but the complaints have been there for months even after wins, and he hasn't cared until the results have gone south.

He isn't saying "I know we're awful to watch, I know I picked a string of coaches over the last 10-15 years who think creative RL is for idiots, and I know a fair few of you don't come to games anymore because of it". He's saying "we'll get through this poor run of results and hopefully we'll find our way to being close to some success at the end of the season with good honest down the middle Wello-ball." It's the truth, I'll give him that. But it ain't the words of a man who knows the score with what the fans of his club have a problem with.

Whilst he certainly isn't daft, and whilst he has been an exceptional leader for the club, I'm not sure he comes close to having his finger on the pulse when it comes to the fanbase.
<snip>

He isn't saying "I know we're awful to watch, I know I picked a string of coaches over the last 10-15 years who think creative RL is for idiots, and I know a fair few of you don't come to games anymore because of it". He's saying "we'll get through this poor run of results and hopefully we'll find our way to being close to some success at the end of the season with good honest down the middle Wello-ball." It's the truth, I'll give him that. But it ain't the words of a man who knows the score with what the fans of his club have a problem with.
I said he's always had his fingers on the pulse. Not that he panders obsessively to the fans every whim. We've been playing conservative rugby for a long time now. Fans weren't burning their season tickets when we won. Reaching the end of the road with many of the players who brought us success was always going to happen and be painful. Moreover, going into every contract negotiation with agents demanding - rightfully - multiple-championship winning pay spikes was not sustainable. And there's the minor point that other teams pay their players to win, too.

There's a reason guys like Roby, Lomax, Walmsley, Tommy, Percy etc. will go down as among the greatest players to ever do it. And replacing great players is incredibly difficult - especially since two of the biggest recruitment pools have effectively dried up (Rugby Union and the NRL). There are only a handful of teams producing high-quality youngsters consistently. Nowhere near enough to replace many of the names listed to a similar quality. We've already been down this road once when Long, Scully and Keiron retired. Success isn't guaranteed - regardless of how much you strive for such. What we can say is Eamonn has a track record of high performance which cannot be matched in the sport since he took ownership of the club.

Eamonn isn't daft. Hes ALWAYS has his finger on the pulse of the fans and if he sees a situation brewing he'd rather address it early than late. Been this way since he came.
That’s why it took so long to get rid of KC.

A lot of the comments on here shows why Eamon doesn't bother with this stuff very often.

There were a few on the rumours thread that wanted some sort of update on the team/recruitment etc. But any comment he makes is going to be followed by a flood of negativity, even if it is a generic "get behind the lads" press release.

In the end Eamon must be sick of all the crying and complaining and mustn't care when it inevitably comes.

A lot of the comments on here shows why Eamon doesn't bother with this stuff very often.

There were a few on the rumours thread that wanted some sort of update on the team/recruitment etc. But any comment he makes is going to be followed by a flood of negativity, even if it is a generic "get behind the lads" press release.

In the end Eamon must be sick of all the crying and complaining and mustn't care when it inevitably comes.
I don't think its like that at all

Its a strange statement that is essentially admitting that he is expecting us to lose on Friday but is mitigating it by mentioning our injuries even adding the number of internationals. Not sure I've seen many Chairmen make such a statement

Had he said something along the lines of "we are hoping to announce some signings soon" or "our deal with Liverpool women will now increase our revenue to x and allow us to be competitive in the market" it may have been different

Instead he's more or less begging for the fans not to turn on Wellens when the expected defeat occurs

I've no idea when they are going to announce his extension if we do lose the next 3 games

Its a strange statement that is essentially admitting that he is expecting us to lose on Friday but is mitigating it by mentioning our injuries even adding the number of internationals. Not sure I've seen many Chairmen make such a statement

Had he said something along the lines of "we are hoping to announce some signings soon" or "our deal with Liverpool women will now increase our revenue to x and allow us to be competitive in the market" it may have been different

Instead he's more or less begging for the fans not to turn on Wellens when the expected defeat occurs

I've no idea when they are going to announce his extension if we do lose the next 3 games
We are "hoping" to announce signings soon.

A number of posters on here would accuse him of being a politician for saying that. It is non committal to the point of not being able to be a lie.

"Yeah lads, we know we are getting railed on Friday, but don't be a bunch of mizzos, Wellos a cracking lad, and is the only one in the office that knows how the coffee maker works.

Get you lazy arses down the road and cough up some money FFS, christ it's Wigan not K2. If you do we maybe, kinda, sorta, perhaps, will have something to potentially, maybe announce at some unspecified time in the future #BenDavies2028"

This was my take on the statement. He must be able to tell the high level of disgruntlement that is evident at many of the home games this season. And after the Cas game there was an air of resignation amongst the supporters.

Someone who truly has his finger on the pulse of the Saints fans would know...
  • we prefer attacking, creative RL, it's in the clubs DNA and is part of the culture of the club.
  • crowds are lower than they should be because for years we have played a god awful style of RL, which has basically kept money off his table year after year.
  • the issue of us being arguably the worst side in the league to watch (style wise, not results) has been a problem for a good while.
Whilst trophies were coming he kept quiet about style of play and didn't seem bothered by us getting 500-1,000 less most weeks than we could have done, because style of play bothered him little. Fair enough, trophies trump all, but having your finger on the pulse means knowing alot of fans were not excited watching us play.

Only now has he said anything, months after most of us raised issues, and years after some of us pretty much gave up on him and Rush prioritising attacking RL and getting the most bums on seats they could to watch us. And it isn't the week to week performances that are bothering him, it's results. He thinks we're pissed off because we've lost a couple of games, and might get a dusting at Wigan. For some that is true of course, but the complaints have been there for months even after wins, and he hasn't cared until the results have gone south.

Good post Grey. He doesn’t appear to understand that many of us want to be entertained and winning isn’t the only thing. Winning with Woolfe was rarely pretty to watch.

At the risk of repeating myself I think for Saints RL the fact the TWS has done this ten year Football deal isn’t good news for us. I think the reason Saints are partly where we are is because EM and Rush have taken their eyes off the ball re RL. Covid didn’t help and I think the purse strings have been tied quite tight for sometime. I believe they are spending more time on the stadium than the RL team. I think they see the TWS as an events venue. Saints Rl are now a small part of that. Signing Wellens as coach was a lazy (cheaper) appointment. I believe EM/Rush don’t see Saints as the most important thing re the TWS now.
Also Saints have too many pals working within the club. At the risk of getting some flack why did they employ Roby? They created a job for him. He has always said he’s not interested in coaching etc. IMO it’s a vanity job.
I have heard the atmosphere at the club ATM is something like it was with Cunningham. With the new footy contract Saints are less worried about losing 500 / 1000 fans at home games. They will be ok with say 1000 people not renewing STs next season.
Unless they wake up I fear Saints will spend a long time in the doldrums.

I believe they are spending more time on the stadium than the RL team. I think they see the TWS as an events venue. Saints Rl are now a small part of that.
This is a classic in the genre of the ‘the club can’t do right for doing wrong’. If the the stadium was sitting idle all year except for Saints matches the club would rightly be criticised on here for not milking its most substantial asset.

Also, on what planet are Saints ‘only a very small part’ of the stadium that they own, play in every other week, and that has ‘SAINTS’ emblazoned in massive letters across the seats?

Last edited:
I'm just glad we (not to mention other teams having to play on it) no longer have a pitch which injures more players than the game itself. Should save us a fortune on premiums.

This is a classic in the genre of the ‘the club can’t do right for doing wrong’. If the the stadium was sitting idle all year except for Saints matches the club would rightly be criticised on here for not milking its most substantial asset.

Also, on what planet are Saints ‘only a very small part’ of the stadium that they own, play in every other week, and that has ‘SAINTS’ emblazoned in massive letters across the seats?
My point is with the new woman’s footy contract and other events planned for the TWS (which is great for the town BTW) Saints are not now the only ones to worry about when it was just the RL. It’s an opinion and I think the TWS is edging towards becoming an events venue. EM etc have IMO taken the eye off the RL ball. We now don’t have their sole attention. Of course we are still part of the TWS and it’s our home venue, but we don’t live alone now.

My point is with the new woman’s footy contract and other events planned for the TWS (which is great for the town BTW) Saints are not now the only ones to worry about when it was just the RL. It’s an opinion and I think the TWS is edging towards becoming an events venue. EM etc have IMO taken the eye off the RL ball. We now don’t have their sole attention. Of course we are still part of the TWS and it’s our home venue, but we don’t live alone now.
If Mr. Big can rise to the top of the Hong Kong & Shanghai Heroin Bank cutting deals between barmpot Communist fanatics, bloodthirsty Zaibatsu and the British Establishment - I'm sure he can multi-task. :unsure: ;)

Back
Top Bottom