Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

21 man squad v London

The Yellow Giraffe

cannot function without tinternet

IN: Harry Robertson
OUT: Leon Cowen

1. Jack Welsby, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Waqa Blake, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Jon Bennison, 7. Lewis Dodd, 9. Daryl Clark, 10. Matty Lees, 11. Sione Mata’utia, 14. Moses Mbye, 15. James Bell, 16. Curtis Sironen, 17. Agnatius Paasi, 20. George Delaney, 21. Ben Davies, 22. Sam Royle, 23. Konrad Hurrell, 24. Jake Burns, 30. Jonny Vaughan, 31. Noah Stephens, 33. Harry Robertson.

I hope I am wrong but I can see us going with the same 17 as last time out:

Welsby
Makinson
Hurrell
Percival
Blake
Mbye
Dodd
Delaney
Clark
Lees
Sironen
Matautia
Bell

Royle
Davies
Paasi
Stephens

Bennison, Burns, Vaughan and Robertson to miss out.

I personally don't see the point in playing Royle and Davies in this game. Completely pointless. They have been around the 1st team squad for years and we all know what they can do. They aren't going to improve or change and will only ever be gap fillers for us. We will neither learn or gain anything whatsoever from them playing this weekend. I'd love to see Burns and Vaughan on there instead and give these lads a chance.

Just realised that there has been no update given on Knowles. Wellens referenced Lomax and Batchelor but no mention of Knowles (or Whitley come to think of it)

Surely given the initial time scales for Knowles, he will be back for the Cas game after the international weekend?

I would be more adventurous that Wellens is likely to be, but hopefully we will see Burns and Vaughan on the bench, rather than Royle and Davies.

Last edited:

1. Jack Welsby, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Waqa Blake, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Jon Bennison, 7. Lewis Dodd, 9. Daryl Clark, 10. Matty Lees, 11. Sione Mata’utia, 14. Moses Mbye, 15. James Bell, 16. Curtis Sironen, 17. Agnatius Paasi, 20. George Delaney, 21. Ben Davies, 22. Sam Royle, 23. Konrad Hurrell, 24. Jake Burns, 30. Jonny Vaughan, 31. Noah Stephens, 33. Harry Robertson.

Welsby
Makinson
Hurrell
Percival
Blake
Mbye
Dodd
Delaney
Clark
Lees
Sironen
Matautia
Bell

Royle
Davies
Paasi
Stephens

I personally don't see the point in playing Royle and Davies in this game. Completely pointless. They have been around the 1st team squad for years and we all know what they can do. They aren't going to improve or change and will only ever be gap fillers for us. We will neither learn or gain anything whatsoever from them playing this weekend. I'd love to see Burns and Vaughan on there instead and give these lads a chance.
As usual, I think you are on the mark. I would like to see Royle and/or Davies replaced by Vaughn and/or Robertson on the bench. I don't think we will though

Vaughan on the bench for Davies and then Burns/Robertson on the bench for Royle. I know that he won't do that, but that is what should be done IMO.

That's were the frustration from majority is coming from i think, that's the perfect chance to give 2 of those 3 an opportunity. Bringing Royle/Davies on for the last 15minutes is offering us absolutely nothing short term or long term.

Just realised that there has been no update given on Knowles. Wellens referenced Lomax and Batchelor but no mention of Knowles (or Whitley come to think of it)

Surely given the initial time scales for Knowles, he will be back for the Cas game after the international weekend?
Knowles is still expected back sometime in July and Whitley gave his own update last week when interviewed for 'The Bench'. He's 2-3 months away having only just started his rehab after the Op.

On a different note - looking forward to visiting the Twickenham Stoop on Sunday. Been nearly 20 years since my last visit there! Forecast looks okay (for now!). Excited for a few beers in the sun, put a score on London (hopefully) then finding a decent boozer nearby for the England match at 20:00. Making a whole weekend of it in the capital. Any ideas of how many we’re taking down?

Knowles is still expected back sometime in July and Whitley gave his own update last week when interviewed for 'The Bench'. He's 2-3 months away having only just started his rehab after the Op.
Thanks

They said Knowles was 5/6 weeks after the Castleford game didn’t they? If so that would mean either he’s back for Salford or Castleford at home (at the latest) based on that timeframe

As I’ve said elsewhere I’d expect the same 17 as Catalan however I’d play Vaughan & have Robertson on the bench instead of Royle

What are we losing by having Robertson play the last 20 minutes? The game will be over by that point anyway, let Clark do an hour then move Mbye to 9 and let Robertson have a go at 6

Robertson is just there for the mstchday experience.
Unless something unusual happens he won't be playing.
I think Holbrook started this idea, Woolf certainly did it. It just get tge lads used to being with the squad

Welsby
Makinson Percival Hurrell Blake
Mbye Dodd
Delaney Clark Lees
Sironen Mata’utia
Bell

Robertson Vaughan Paasi Stephans

Bennison Burns Royle and Davies miss out.
That would be the team i would pick also. Gives a couple of players a first team appearance and also gives a good chance of decent points on the board.

On a different note - looking forward to visiting the Twickenham Stoop on Sunday. Been nearly 20 years since my last visit there! Forecast looks okay (for now!). Excited for a few beers in the sun, put a score on London (hopefully) then finding a decent boozer nearby for the England match at 20:00. Making a whole weekend of it in the capital. Any ideas of how many we’re taking down?
"Well over" 1k according to the Saints website

Welsby
Makinson
Hurrell
Percival
Blake
Mbye
Dodd
Delaney
Clark
Lees
Sironen
Matautia
Bell

Royle
Davies
Paasi
Stephens

If I was Vaughan and Davies or Royle got picked before me I'd be pissed off.

Vaughan not in the Swinton side this weekend, so should be involved.

If a couple need a rest then I’m happy to see Vaughan and Davies come in. I suspect that Robertson is travelling for the experience rather than to be in contention.

Last edited:

Welsby
Makinson
Hurrell
Percival
Blake
Mbye
Dodd
Delaney
Clark
Lees
Sironen
Matautia
Bell

Royle
Davies
Paasi
Stephens

I think most would agree with the bench you suggest.

Surely an ideal time to have Vaughan and Burns on the bench instead of Davies and Royle. The Cas game then rest the England lads and give them more minutes We have a tough block of games after that and we’ll need everybody fit and ready 😇😇

Welsby
Makinson
Hurrell
Percival
Blake
Mbye
Dodd
Delaney
Clark
Lees
Sironen
Matautia
Bell

Royle
Davies
Paasi
Stephens

Perhaps Burns OR Vaughan? Can't see Wello risking both at same time tbh. He seems a no risks coach, he maybe sees London as a potential banana skin if too many changes and less than perfect approach to the game? I know it's a fairly predictable result but nothing is an absolute given is it COYS

Perhaps Burns OR Vaughan? Can't see Wello risking both at same time tbh. He seems a no risks coach, he maybe sees London as a potential banana skin if too many changes and less than perfect approach to the game? I know it's a fairly predictable result but nothing is an absolute given is it COYS

If Vaughan or Robertson/Burns replace both Davies and Royle are we any weaker? We've not seen anything from either of those to say they really deserve to play based on performance. At the least those coming in have shown they have plenty of potential, albeit in the lower leagues/academy games. I realise it's a big step up to SL, but London are basically a lower league side who in fairness to them have punched above there weight a little bit this year.

I don't think there is any risk, if they replace Davies/Royle. If we was to leave out Hurrell/Dodd or another senior player as some have suggested, then that is a risk. I am struggling to see the risk involved of leaving Davies AND Royle out if i'm honest.

I do feel like we are harsh on Davies/Royle as well at times, and i include myself in that. Both give 100%, will play wherever they are asked and both seem to have really good attitudes. There just not at the level required to play for Saints unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom