Welcome to the RedVee.Net forums!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss Rugby League, chat all things Saints and share opinions with other RedVee.Net members.

SignUp Now!

2024 NRL season

Mike Stephenson

replies to every thread
As well as SL starting tomorrow, the NRL Pre-season Challenge is also getting underway.

Looks like all the games are on SKY and tomorrow's is Bulldogs vs Storm...

Lot's of development players involved as you'd expect, but there's also some big names on the team lists including Ryan Papenhuyzen and Bronson Xerri. Papenhuyzen on the comeback trail after some bad injuries and Xerri hasn't played a game for about 4 years after his drugs ban.

There's a staggering stat doing the rounds about the Bulldogs, in that not a single player who was in their top 30 in 2021, is still at the club. That is some turnover!

As well as SL starting tomorrow, the NRL Pre-season Challenge is also getting underway.

Lot's of development players involved as you'd expect, but there's also some big names on the team lists including Ryan Papenhuyzen and Bronson Xerri. Papenhuyzen on the comeback trail after some bad injuries and Xerri hasn't played a game for about 4 years after his drugs ban.

There's a staggering stat doing the rounds about the Bulldogs, in that not a single player who was in their top 30 in 2021, is still at the club. That is some turnover!

Looking forward to both seasons, have the NRL Allstars games on Friday night and Saints Saturday morning ( NZ time) then preseason games through the weekend.
My daughter and I have NZ Warriors tickets and sharing her enjoyment of walking up to the ground takes me back to me and my brothers walking to Knowsley Rd. COYS, Up the Wahs.

The Titans have always come as a soft team lacking the stomach for hard work. Des Hasler will improve them.

Just watched the first half of the All Stars game. Really impressed with the kicking game of Trindall. Is he any relation to Tricky? If so, we should get him over :)

Well last week you were pushing for Saints to look at Toby Sexton from the Doggies. Well it seems like he's started this year like he left the last - utter gash !!!
He looked out of his depth in 2023 at 1st team level and in yesterdays pre-season game, even against a team of Melbourne reserves he looked out of his depth and utterly clueless

Yes he is going well. Great atmosphere and pride and passion both before and during the game. Kia kaha te Māori

Looking forward to both seasons, have the NRL Allstars games on Friday night and Saints Saturday morning ( NZ time) then preseason games through the weekend.
My daughter and I have NZ Warriors tickets and sharing her enjoyment of walking up to the ground takes me back to me and my brothers walking to Knowsley Rd. COYS, Up the Wahs.

Seen the highlights of the Warriors game Vinny... great to see RTS back in the sport!

The Titans have always come as a soft team lacking the stomach for hard work. Des Hasler will improve them.

How Gold Coast go this year will be one to follow. They've got some exciting backs and some rep forwards to boot, though think they'll have to go some though to make the finals.

Just watched the first half of the All Stars game. Really impressed with the kicking game of Trindall. Is he any relation to Tricky? If so, we should get him over :)

Braydon Trindall was a back up half up until mid-way through last season, when he managed to force Matt Moylan out of the Sharks' 6 jersey. He's a good foil for Nicho Hynes and has his best years ahead of him.

Well last week you were pushing for Saints to look at Toby Sexton from the Doggies. Well it seems like he's started this year like he left the last - utter gash !!!
He looked out of his depth in 2023 at 1st team level and in yesterdays pre-season game, even against a team of Melbourne reserves he looked out of his depth and utterly clueless

We see the game very different Saint Toppy don't we? I actually thought Sexton had some prominent moments when he came on. Missed a couple of coversions, but they were from the sideline. And remember I mentioned his name because he's a young developing half off contract at end of the season. These types of players are the realistic targets these days. Sure we can both agree it was good to see RP back and looking sharp!

Last edited:
Yes RTS is just one of those naturally competitive people, gives it his all all the time. We are so pleased to have him back. The Wahs did well considering they were down a player for majority of game, looking forward to the season but not picking my top 8 for our tipping comp!

We see the game very different Saint Toppy don't we? I actually thought Sexton had some prominent moments when he came on. Missed a couple of coversions, but they were from the sideline. And remember I mentioned his name because he's a young developing half off contract at end of the season. These types of players are the realistic targets these days. Sure we can both agree it was good to see RP back and looking sharp!

We must see things very differently - maybe its just because I dont watch NRL games with rose tinted specs and think all things NRL is automatically better than SL.
Sexton did nothing of note at all, in fact i'd go so far as to say he looked no better than young Whitby when he came on in Saints pre season friendly.

He would be an utterly pointless signing for a club like Saints. Would offer absolutely nothing we couldn't get from one of our own youngsters, would take up a quota spot and come at a much higher cost than one of our own.

Its not that long ago you were talking similarly about another Doggies half back in Brandon Wakeham and he turned out to be utter gash as well. He's now just a back-up at Manly and looked pretty ordinary in their game this weekend against the Roosters.

We must see things very differently - maybe its just because I dont watch NRL games with rose tinted specs and think all things NRL is automatically better than SL.
Sexton did nothing of note at all, in fact i'd go so far as to say he looked no better than young Whitby when he came on in Saints pre season friendly.

He would be an utterly pointless signing for a club like Saints. Would offer absolutely nothing we couldn't get from one of our own youngsters, would take up a quota spot and come at a much higher cost than one of our own.

Its not that long ago you were talking similarly about another Doggies half back in Brandon Wakeham and he turned out to be utter gash as well. He's now just a back-up at Manly and looked pretty ordinary in their game this weekend against the Roosters.

I don't remember that (championing Brandon Wakeham) Saint Toppy? Just done a quick search and can only find this- http://forums.redvee.net/showthread.php?32609-Transfer-Rumours-All-in-Here/page130... reading it back, think I talk a lot of sense!:D

See my comments for you in the Non-Saints Game thread too;)

Yes RTS is just one of those naturally competitive people, gives it his all all the time. We are so pleased to have him back. The Wahs did well considering they were down a player for majority of game, looking forward to the season but not picking my top 8 for our tipping comp!

Didn't see the game. What is the starting backline for the Wahs then? Was imagining RTS would want the fullback position but CNK was going really well there last season.

Didn't see the game. What is the starting backline for the Wahs then? Was imagining RTS would want the fullback position but CNK was going really well there last season.

Seems like they are sticking with CNK at fullback with RTS centre. I think Metcalfe and SJ in halves with TMM and CHT as utility options.

Seems like they are sticking with CNK at fullback with RTS centre. I think Metcalfe and SJ in halves with TMM and CHT as utility options.

Warriors have plenty of options don't they, Vinny? RTS could move back to #1 if needed, plus DWZ is comfortable there too.

Utility wise, there's Dylan Walker to add in to the mix as well. Lots of competition for places.

Think Kurt Capewell will add something in the second row. Showed his worth at Panthers and Broncos. Will bring that experience with him...

Do you have the Warriors making top 4 again this year? Think the Roosters in particular, will be pushing to move a few places up the ladder.

Look I'm always going to back the Wahs, and the real positive thing about last season was while the team was not that different to previous seasons, the confidence and spirit was. And you are absolutely right about depth, even Capewell will be pushing to prove himself with some of the young braves knocking about just below the top squad.
It does make me think that developing belief and spirit is maybe almost more important as skills and tactics in getting long term success.
Yes reckon Roosters will be up there this time.

The gap between the NRL and Superleague is so painfully huge.

NRL opens in Las Vegas, top quality, big attendance.

Superleague, opens in Hull, awful game biggest talking point is red and yellow cards.

Back
Top Bottom