Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Sky coverage and commentary

Default Sky coverage and commentary

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    As much as he was criticised by myself and others, he was miles better than the rest.
    This was Eddie being talked about.

I sat watching the game with my wife, who is an occasional fan, as we are on Gran Canaria on holiday so she can’t pack me off to the pub with my mates as usual.....

After ten minutes or so of commentary, she said “whatever happened to Eddie Hemmings?” (Clearly forgotten Good Friday’s finale and the documentary she watched!)

Throughout the game she kept piping up......

“Wow this new commentator is poor”

“That’s Naiqama, not Grace. They look completely different!”

“Is Carney watching the same game as US?”

“That Leeds player looks too fat to change direction so why are they raving about him, he’s just a battering ram” (Hurrell)

And quote of the evening.

“It’s not the same without Eddie. He got on my nerves sometimes but he held it all together”

I hope there’s somebody new waiting in the wings to commentate...... I don’t think Bill Arthur’s good enough and this new kid last night isn’t ready.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

My missus wanted to turn the sound off and then fell asleep which she never does if we're playing. Ben Proe sounded like a giddy child the way he was cheering Leeds on at times in the first half and his voice annoys me. Barrie and Clark don't need discussing although I thought Wells was better last night. Jenna Brooks is a slight improvement on Angela Powers but she's neither that nice looking nor knowledgeable.

Proe by name but not Pro by nature...

In The South Stand

But she is Aussie.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I was getting cheesed off with them mentioning the young talent of Jack Walker and Harry Newman whilst making insignificant comments of Smith, Eaves, Bentley, Batchelor, only Welsby got a couple of mentions but not on the same scale of Walker and Newman.

Noooobie

HI Angry Dave from another bluenose , whoever he is "the commentator" sounds like he's got a feather up he's @r$e.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    My missus wanted to turn the sound off and then fell asleep which she never does if we're playing. Ben Proe sounded like a giddy child the way he was cheering Leeds on at times in the first half and his voice annoys me. Barrie and Clark don't need discussing although I thought Wells was better last night. Jenna Brooks is a slight improvement on Angela Powers but she's neither that nice looking nor knowledgeable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roylitherland View Post
    hi angry dave from another bluenose , whoever he is "the commentator" sounds like he's got a feather up he's @r$e.

Banned

I think the Sky coverage has been desperate for a while now and it become a recurring theme. It feels like Sky management just don't understand how poorly perceived their coverage is and show little inclination to make the changes required.

I must admit that I my senses were dulled by a particularly fine Cote d' or last night, but there was the usual tired hyperbole; at one point Clarke saying that Leeds had 'completely outplayed St. Helens' but were down on the scoreboard. No Phil, they had a bit of ball and territory but certainly hadn't 'outplayed' their opposition in that scrappy opening.

It seems like Sky coverage has a lazy mission to 'find an angle' in games such as this where, ostensibly, the two sides on view are unbalanced. To be honest I'm sick and tired of their constant need for a 'turning point,' the shouting and bluster from Carney, Baz and Tez and Wells - it all screams small time. I'm not sure how anyone ever thought Ben Proe capable; he'd be out of his depth on hospital radio.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I was getting cheesed off with them mentioning the young talent of Jack Walker and Harry Newman whilst making insignificant comments of Smith, Eaves, Bentley, Batchelor, only Welsby got a couple of mentions but not on the same scale of Walker and Newman.

Spot on mate. It was embarrassing! Walker made plenty of mistakes including one massive cross field hospital pass under his own sticks. I don't want anyone throwing under the bus, but I don't want these proteges treated as if they're the second coming! Barry was so partisan, it was unbearable. As for the idea that Leeds outplayed Saints for the first twenty minutes, were they all watching something else? Then there was Clarke's remark that Saints couldn't punch through Leed's centre! Couldn't they? Don't know what I was watching then! The whole lead up to the game was all about Leeds, it was sickening. I know that our League season is done and Leeds are still fighting for something, but they appear to have been on SKY for months! Why are SKY not harping on about us being so far ahead of everyone else? It occasionally gets a mention but for the second place team to be closer to the relegation place than the team above them says quite a lot!

Starting A Programme Collection

Regarding commentators what a load of idiots they are. I honestly believe sky has to do something. Any commentator who has an affinity to a club should not be able to comment when thereclub is playing. Eg wells , castleford. Clarke ,O’Connor, Wigan. Macdermot , Leeds, Darnley to a point. They show there support for there clubs. Can’t say much about saints warr, eg as sky don’t use only the chosen few. Match came on at 7 last night thought saints hadn’t turned they were never mentioned till about 7-30 think they realised there were 2 teams playing. Rant over . Come back Eddie and Steveo u are needed....

At one point, Barrie McDermott claimed that Justin Holbrook "wouldn't want to win every game" and then tried to back this up by saying he'll want his team to lose a few times to learn from it. Bizarre.

Gone, but never forgotten

Knowsley Road

1890 - 2010

Starting A Programme Collection

But heispart of the chosen crew. For gods sake let’s get rid of all the biased commentators. Had enough.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintbibby View Post
    At one point, Barrie McDermott claimed that Justin Holbrook "wouldn't want to win every game" and then tried to back this up by saying he'll want his team to lose a few times to learn from it. Bizarre.
    I wasn't sure I heard that right, even if someone who'd never watched any sport whatsoever before wouldn't fall for that kind of nonsense.

Learning All The Songs

It amazes me how bad the commentary actually is, the way they get players mixed up all the time, Naiqama and Grace consistently even though they are on opposite sides of the pitch, Thompson, Lees and Ashworth i have noticed a few times as well. The way over the last couple of weeks they have gone on about the young players from Warrington and Leeds playing against us without much being said about our youngsters playing is a joke, they weren’t far off their beat team yesterday and we had most of our senior players out and very little was said about how well they performed. Its almost when it comes to us, the commentators are incapable of complimenting how well we do at bringing our academy players through consistently.

In The South Stand

I wouldn't be surprised if SKY dropped Rugby League soon , it gets up there nose that the BBC can make a big showpiece of something that SKY have bee downplaying for ages and next Saturday they will probably show something special , they only want the grand final .

Learning All The Songs

I find it amazing that a lot of fans from the twelve SL clubs think the Sky commentators have got something against their team.

I’m not expecting Barrie, Terry o’connor And Phil Clarke to suddenly turn off allegiances for clubs they are fans of as well as ex players (in fact when Sean Long and John Wilkin were guests they said “we” when describing Saints.... and I like the link ups (even Clarke if you accept he loves the hyperbole.... who can forget “Never write off the Saints!” Whilst 16 points down with 4 mins left.....!)

I’m being critical of the main commentator, who is supposed to hold the thing together and he sounded like an excited kid getting louder and LOUDER... reminds me of The Simpson’s episode was here they try to make “Soccer” sound interesting by shouting.

https://youtu.be/qjp1Zrvn8VQ

Do you think Eddie would come back for the GF if enough people asked for it?