Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Race for the Top 4 or 6 or 8 (merged)

Banned

Default Race for the Top 4 or 6 or 8 (merged)

I think we are pretty much safe in the top 4 now (despite the awful rugby) but who do we think will join us? It's almost certain it's 3 from 4.

Wire threw everything at the piescum yet succumbed to a gargantuan defensive effort, but they play Leeds this week, who have just named a much-weakened squad with one eye on the CCF. Can't see anything but a Wire win, which puts them back into the 4.

Then the piescum travel to Catalans. Another '4-pointer'. If the piescum win, I think they're almost home as well. A Catalans win, though, and it opens that wider chase up.

The mad, fixture-congested period sees the following key games:

Saints - Leeds, piescum, Catalans, wanky
    piescum - Catalans, Saints, Leeds
    Catalans - piescum, Wanky, Saints
    Wanky - Leeds, Catalans, Saints
    Leeds - Wanky, Saints, piescum, Cas (twice - I know Cas aren't in the mix, but they're local rivals so likely to give it some)

I think at this stage, I'd put Leeds as most likely to drop out. I think they'll beat Salford (but... come on Salford!!!) to win the CC and consider their work for the season accomplished.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

When I looked at the fixtures the other day , I think we have Leeds 23rd Oct then Salford 25th Oct then Wigoons 29th Oct that's 3 games in 6 days and 2 of those games are 4 pointers.

I would imagine we will go full strength against Leeds and the Wigoons, the in between game against Salford I think we will see Dodd, Welsby, Smith, Costello, Paulo, Ashworth, Batchelor, Eaves, Wingfield, Rizzelli etc.

Leeds have the toughest campaign with the CC looming I expect them as well to go out of the Top 4.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 12th October 2020 at 11:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I think we are pretty much safe in the top 4 now (despite the awful rugby) but who do we think will join us? It's almost certain it's 3 from 4.

Wire threw everything at the piescum yet succumbed to a gargantuan defensive effort, but they play Leeds this week, who have just named a much-weakened squad with one eye on the CCF. Can't see anything but a Wire win, which puts them back into the 4.

Then the piescum travel to Catalans. Another '4-pointer'. If the piescum win, I think they're almost home as well. A Catalans win, though, and it opens that wider chase up.

Leeds - Wanky, Saints, piescum, Cas (twice - I know Cas aren't in the mix, but they're local rivals so likely to give it some)

I think at this stage, I'd put Leeds as most likely to drop out. I think they'll beat Salford (but... come on Salford!!!) to win the CC and consider their work for the season accomplished.
    I largely agree but you never know when Warrington are going to down tools for the season. I could see them getting all the way to the final and winning it at our expense or, now that they’ve had a couple of setbacks in big games, having a sulk and not even making the top 4.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I'm expecting Leeds to miss out but its tough to guess what will happen with two games a week, injury and covid could play a part in this crazy season.
    If we play to our best we'll beat anyone in SL but I'm not confident that we'll get up for it. We need that same attitude as the play off semi against Wigan last year where we absolutely ran over them, so much so they were still shot to bits when they played Salford the week later.

Despite having the cup final on Saturday Im surprised Leeds are prepared to effectively surrender the points to Warrington tomorrow as it could be crucial in deciding who makes the top 4.

I get why sometimes clubs throw their lot in to reach Wembley although its unlikely to be the cash cow it normally is this time around with no crowds and no addition revenue streams that you would normally enjoy. Clearly the records will show a cup win and that is big but Im not sure its worth resting players when a play off place hangs on it as well.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Tough to even make a guess given nobody but Catalans has real home advantage and because the congestion and potential Covid-cases could scupper teams abilities to win games they'd normally win most weeks.

We'll be fine, and I haven't given missing the 4 a seconds thought for weeks to be honest.

Wigan will do enough, and Catalans have home games which will get them over the line, but the other spot is up in the air, but I'd strongly back Warrington at this point. At least it gives the end of season some drama. With no crowds I'm still wondering what the semi-finals will look like in terms of venues and stuff. Finishing top and getting the prize money will be big, but apart from that I see no real merit in 2nd over 3rd and 3rd over 4th as it stands, unless you're Catalans and 2nd gets you a home game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Assuming Covid doesn’t make a pigs of it, how many more rounds are their before the playoffs?
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Assuming Covid doesn’t make a pigs of it, how many more rounds are their before the playoffs?
    A total of 20games each. Saints have played 13

Quote Originally Posted by 58er View Post
    A total of 20games each. Saints have played 13
    Ahhh right thanks mate. The teams currently placed 2-5 could shuffle a fair bit but can’t see any of the other sides sneaking into the top 4.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Wigan don't travel to Catalan, they played over there a month ago.

Catalan also have a home game v Leeds to re-arrange.
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 12th October 2020 at 20:55.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

With the fixture congestion coming up it opens up every game as a potential upset. In the union premiership after the restart with their midweek fixtures there was a lot of mixing and matching teams and some unexpected results and blowout scores when 1st XV’s came up against essentially 2nd XV’s. Then the team that probably evened out all their teams the most (Northampton) lost every single game. I doubt we’ll see any team win every game between now and the play offs and I wouldn’t be surprised to see every team lose at least 2.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    With the fixture congestion coming up it opens up every game as a potential upset. In the union premiership after the restart with their midweek fixtures there was a lot of mixing and matching teams and some unexpected results and blowout scores when 1st XV’s came up against essentially 2nd XV’s. Then the team that probably evened out all their teams the most (Northampton) lost every single game. I doubt we’ll see any team win every game between now and the play offs and I wouldn’t be surprised to see every team lose at least 2.
    From what you say reflecting the Northampton arrangement it would be better to specifically target certain matches and allow the others to trust to luck. Seems logical I have to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    From what you say reflecting the Northampton arrangement it would be better to specifically target certain matches and allow the others to trust to luck. Seems logical I have to say

It then comes down to a little bit of luck as to whether the teams you are playing against are targeting that game as well. That’s why I think there’ll be more losses than people might expect. For example as it stands we play Wakefield then a week later:
    3 games in 7 days Leeds, Salford, Wigan
    7 days rest
    3 games in 8 days Catalan, Hull, Warrington
    It’s conceivable that we might target the Salford and Hull games to put out weaker squads opening up a potential loss, but then we could come up against 1st choice squads from the rest of the top 5 and potentially lose those as well. Of course we’ve seen fixtures changed around at very short notice so it’s impossible to predict and I wouldn’t want the job of trying to put together 3 competitive squads in a week.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

Once we get to 15 games played, can we just duck out of any tough games as you only need to have played 15 to get into the play offs, or would that count as a loss?

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Once we get to 15 games played, can we just duck out of any tough games as you only need to have played 15 to get into the play offs, or would that count as a loss?
    I think there's criteria for ducking out but no play has no negative effect on the table as far as I know

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    I think there's criteria for ducking out but no play has no negative effect on the table as far as I know

Can't be hard to bribe a few testers can it?

Learning All The Songs

It then comes down to a little bit of luck as to whether the teams you are playing against are targeting that game as well. That’s why I think there’ll be more losses than people might expect. For example as it stands we play Wakefield then a week later:
    7 days rest
    It’s conceivable that we might target the Salford and Hull games to put out weaker squads opening up a potential loss, but then we could come up against 1st choice squads from the rest of the top 5 and potentially lose those as well. Of course we’ve seen fixtures changed around at very short notice so it’s impossible to predict and I wouldn’t want the job of trying to put together 3 competitive squads in a week.
    The Leeds and Salford games are a week after the cup final which may work in our favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    The Leeds and Salford games are a week after the cup final which may work in our favour.
    It'll be interesting to see how he manages it all

I'm sure some knows someone else

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

7 days rest
    So realistically the current top 5 could finish in any of those 5 positions. Maybe the talk of 100k for the LLS is a bit premature, even though we are in the box seat.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

No, but you'd have to drive to Aberdeen to find one!

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

I wouldn't dismiss Hull as easybeats. It looks as though they will be getting a lot of their injured and covid players back in the next couple of weeks and in Jake Connor they have a player similar to Gelling and Gigot in that when they're on form can almost win a game on their own, when they're off they can also lose it.
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 13th October 2020 at 10:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I wouldn't dismiss Hull as easybeats. It looks as though they will be getting a lot of their injured and covid players back in the next couple of weeks and in Jake Connor they have a player similar to Gelling and Gigot in that when they're on form can almost win a game on their own, when they're off they can also lose it.
    As long as ive got a hole in my arse i’ll never rate Anthony Gelling. Even if he does seem to play well against us.

Learning All The Songs

Round 18 26 October v Salford
    Round 19 30 October v Wigan

short turn round that

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    Round 18 26 October v Salford
    Round 19 30 October v Wigan

short turn round that
    The wider squad needs to step up for sure trouble is I don't think there's too many options for the forwards save for who's been playing anyway. The backs should be ok but that's not really where the issue is. We could be a minor injury to BigAl away from a flat spin if KW is not careful and doesn't have a plan.