Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wakefield Match Thread

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Whilst I've only seen the highlights, it must be noted that the long cut-out passes Lachlan Coote made to create tries for Tommy and Regan were sheer class. We haven't got another player in the team that can do that.

Clearly, his kicking game needs working on, because it seems that we have a full back who is effectively going to be playing at half back in attack. with Theo given somewhat of a roving commission, which suits his game much better. However, that plan will not come together if Lachlan is not up to scratch with the boot.
    I didn't see Sunday's game, so can't comment on how good Cootes Passes were, but Ivé seen Lomax do quite a lot of cut out passes.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I didn't see Sunday's game, so can't comment on how good Cootes Passes were, but Ivé seen Lomax do quite a lot of cut out passes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KijWkM7ynI
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

I agree in that Lomax can do it on occasion, but it happens rarely. Coote has made several of these passes in both games so far and I suspect our wingers are in for a lot more tries this year on the back of it.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

I agree in that Lomax can do it on occasion, but it happens rarely. Coote has made several of these passes in both games so far and I suspect our wingers are in for a lot more tries this year on the back of it.
    The first one to Makinson was world class. He didn’t particularly even look, instinct told him Tommy was in space and he put it right in front of him to run onto

Got A Season Ticket The Meister's Avatar

2 games in for Saints and 2 wins.
    However, like some fans on here, I can’t help but wonder why we don’t have our “recognised goal kicker” Danny Richardson in the team. Yesterday we missed 3 arguably kickable goals which would have made the game an easier win than it turned out to be.
    We all know that Richardson has his defensive problems - but for me that’s up to Holbrook to try and smartly manage within our team set up. A goal kick is worth half a try at the end of the day.
    Ian Millward would have put him first on the team sheet back in the day.

Danny Broughs kicking yesterday was excellent again - and I remember when his defence was as poor as Richardson’s.
    Richardson is not meant to be the finished article at this young age - but for mine - he is worth playing week in week out as he has the xfactor which we need to put other teams to bed before any last minute shenanigans.
    “With great power comes great responsibility”

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Thanks mate. Been travelling for 2 days and hadn't caught up yet. I'm glad I never had to stand and tackle Thompson running at me.

Having only seen the highlights of yesterday, I don't know how many cut out passes Coote has made, but the one to Makinson on about 29mins was real class. I still think Lomax does them very well, but too early for me to compare the numbers of them

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Dom is showing shades of being all over the place again
    Just saw his stats, missed 5 tackles made 16.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Drop Paulo and bring Danny Back

Theo can sit in the stands and Louie to L/F
    Do you actually go to any of the games ?

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Meister View Post
    However, like some fans on here, I can’t help but wonder why we don’t have our “recognised goal kicker” Danny Richardson in the team. Yesterday we missed 3 arguably kickable goals which would have made the game an easier win than it turned out to be.
    Arguably kickable? Touchline conversions in gale force winds??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RedveeDotNet

Got A Season Ticket Voll au Vent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post

I agree. Was stood right behind Brough, arguably a better kicker than Percival, when he was taking the conversion for Johnstone's first try. The kick looked to be missing to the near post, got caught by a gust of wind and looked to be going over, then another gust caught it and it ended up wide of the far post. That's how difficult it was to kick!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

unbelievable bagging players after 2 games.
    Learned comment from The Don

Starting A Programme Collection

We all know that Richardson has his defensive problems - but for me that’s up to Holbrook to try and smartly manage within our team set up. A goal kick is worth half a try at the end of the day.
    Ian Millward would have put him first on the team sheet back in the day.

Danny Broughs kicking yesterday was excellent again - and I remember when his defence was as poor as Richardson’s.
    Richardson is not meant to be the finished article at this young age - but for mine - he is worth playing week in week out as he has the xfactor which we need to put other teams to bed before any last minute shenanigans.
    If it's a go all kicker you want why not resign Jamie Foster and play him.

Got A Season Ticket The Meister's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    If it's a go all kicker you want why not resign Jamie Foster and play him.
    Yes yes that’s the point I’m trying to make....
    Maybe we could bring some other legends back to the team like Josh Perry, Jack Owens, and maybe Lance Hohaia could grace us again with his silky skills.....
    Knob.
    “With great power comes great responsibility”

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Dom is showing shades of being all over the place again
    Peyroux can come up with the odd bit of brilliance, but when it comes to his defence he is found wanting. It does look like he’s been spun around for two minutes then told to get back into the defensive line, and then you watch to see where he ends up.

Thought you would have been use to it by now Scouse Don, it's something in the water I think

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Voll au Vent View Post
    He certainly doesn't need to improve his tackling!! Two games played off the bench, 51 tackles made, no misses! what is there to fault in that?
    With the ball he’s looked really poor and I think most people would agree, especially compared to Knowles but only two games so I’m not massively concerned.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Peyroux can come up with the odd bit of brilliance, but when it comes to his defence he is found wanting. It does look like he’s been spun around for two minutes then told to get back into the defensive line, and then you watch to see where he ends up.
    I agree, the first half against Wigan summed him up perfectly. Makes a great break and pass to Lomax for a try then knocks on and gives away two penalties.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Having only seen the highlights of yesterday, I don't know how many cut out passes Coote has made, but the one to Makinson on about 29mins was real class.
    Hell of a pass that, world class. The one he threw to Grace was outstanding too.

All of those tries there took some scoring, the two try assists from Jonny Lomax were very impressive as well. Fages looks handy in the highlights also. I’ve been impressed with a lot of what I’ve seen from us so far this season.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Starting A Programme Collection

Yes yes that’s the point I’m trying to make....
    Maybe we could bring some other legends back to the team like Josh Perry, Jack Owens, and maybe Lance Hohaia could grace us again with his silky skills.....
    Knob.
    I didn't know the above-mentioned were accomplished goalkickers, one learns something every day.
    Thank you so much for your wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post

Fair comment Dave but we have seen Percy's kicking in perfect conditions and he isn't great.

I understand why Danny isn't in the team at the moment whether it's a disrupted pre season coupled with an undeniable drop in form in the latter half of 2018. He is, as far as I can see our only reasonably reliable goal kicker. In a tight game it will be the difference.

I trust JH to bring him back in when the time is right.

I'm a fan of Theo by the way. Not sure he offers a massive running threat at 7 though.

In The South Stand

At the start of the season I placed Wakey to end up in the top five. They're committed, well drilled and have some skill. Their pitch is a great leveller, as we've seen on many occasions. I think two points from them is a good result, many "big names" will underestimate them to their cost! I know they haven't started well, but we of all supporters should know, it's not how you start...……………………...

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    At the start of the season I placed Wakey to end up in the top five. They're committed, well drilled and have some skill. Their pitch is a great leveller, as we've seen on many occasions. I think two points from them is a good result, many "big names" will underestimate them to their cost! I know they haven't started well, but we of all supporters should know, it's not how you start...……………………...
    It's teams and places like Wakefield that will have a say in who finishes where. It's not that long ago that they almost put us out of the playoffs let's not forget. Only a stupid error from them let us progress. They have a big pack,pace out back and a couple of veteran halfbacks and will be a threat to teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I still wouldn't bet against them ending up top five.