Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Super league update - Covid 19

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Default Super league update - Covid 19

The Rugby Football League have approved a number of changes regarding fixtures, the league table and the salary cap, following discussions with Super League and clubs about the specific challenges of the 2020 Betfred Super League season.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/09/0...league-update/

This sees saints drop to 2nd as the table will be points percentage

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Starting A Programme Collection

Scrap the season now

EDIT: Posted in error

In The South Stand

Not an ideal scenario but none of this is ideal and we as a sport need to finish the year in the best way possible in order to meet TV obligations and for the sports own credibility and if this is the way to do it, so be it. This also probably helps player welfare, too, which was something bubbling under the surface, what with so many injuries as some clubs.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    Scrap the season now
    This season will always have an asterisk next to it in the history books, and that's not ideal. But it's not worth the game committing financial suicide to avoid that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    Scrap the season now
    Why? I hate comments like this.(Not aimed solely at you but soon a few on Twitter).

Of course it isn't ideal but it is a plan put in place to ensure we can complete the season properly. Sometimes you just have to adapt to the current scenario and that is exactly what the RFL/Super League doing. I am normally the first person to point out what an incompetent, farcical organisation they are but you can't really fault them here.

The show must go on as they say........
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Why? I hate comments like this.(Not aimed solely at you but soon a few on Twitter).

Of course it isn't ideal but it is a plan put in place to ensure we can complete the season properly. Sometimes you just have to adapt to the current scenario and that is exactly what the RFL/Super League doing. I am normally the first person to point out what an incompetent, farcical organisation they are but you can't really fault them here.

Not for me unfortunately.

Just bin it

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

Just bin it
    And to hell with the consequences?

Scrapped season = no TV money.

No TV money = no RL.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

I was just going to post something very similar to this.

And, on a separate note, I sometimes wonder whether some RL fans actually like RL. I don't know about anyone else, but I would like to be able to settle down with a beer after a week's work and watch a game, even if the league table is calculated in an unusual fashion.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    And, on a separate note, I sometimes wonder whether some RL fans actually like RL. I don't know about anyone else, but I would like to be able to settle down with a beer after a week's work and watch a game, even if the league table is calculated in an unusual fashion.
    Same here. If we scrapped it because Catalans may end up playing 21 instead of 22 I’d be absolutely fuming.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    The Rugby Football League have approved a number of changes regarding fixtures, the league table and the salary cap, following discussions with Super League and clubs about the specific challenges of the 2020 Betfred Super League season.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2020/09/0...league-update/

This sees saints drop to 2nd as the table will be points percentage

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    For probably the first time ever, Il be supporting Wigan on Saturday now! It looks like they're preparing for the worst, don't blame the Rugby League blame the idiots going round shops without masks, ignoring track and trace requests, going abroad on holiday against advice and then complaining about having to come home early, rant over....

Learning All The Songs

Just bin it
    Who's chipping in to cover the refund we'd owe to Sky and the BBC? At this point I'd guess you're looking at not far off a seven figure sum per club if we canned it now.

Wages still have to be paid, clubs still have other fixed costs. They aren't just sitting on a pot of cash, most werent exactly flush before all this. If McManus/Coleman couldn't/wouldn't be able to cover it would you be happy to the demise of the club?

Glad it's been sorted early on and it's unusually positive to see RL applying some common sense.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I've no real issue with the new rules for one season, and if they're admitting that they are worried about some games not being played then it's better to do it now and make everyone aware. It would be daft if a team with 12 wins and 10 losses ended up finishing above a team with 11 wins and 5 losses (for example) so it's a clear ruling that encourages teams to win games whilst they can.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Damn it all, I came on here expecting a meltdown and find a bunch of reasonable posts. Sort yourselves out!

In The South Stand

I don't like it but as others have pointed out it's probably the only way to move on. Ideally, I'd scrap the season, but this would involve massive financial implications for the sport. So Saints aren't top, not a problem. I'll still be willing on Catalans against the Crust Munchers as a loss for them (Pie Eaters) may see them drop out of the top four.

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Who's chipping in to cover the refund we'd owe to Sky and the BBC? At this point I'd guess you're looking at not far off a seven figure sum per club if we canned it now.

Wages still have to be paid, clubs still have other fixed costs. They aren't just sitting on a pot of cash, most werent exactly flush before all this. If McManus/Coleman couldn't/wouldn't be able to cover it would you be happy to the demise of the club?

Glad it's been sorted early on and it's unusually positive to see RL applying some common sense.
    Well if the sport had been managed properly over the years and we'd managed to secure decent tv deals, & strong income & revenue streams (for example, kicking on after a brilliant 2013 world cup) then perhaps we might have a bit more leeway?

If it's a points percentage, do we now allow the Toronto results to stand or not?

I'm going against the grain & I'll get hammered for it, but the competition now completely lacks integrity.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Just get on with it. The RFL/Superleague have to plan. You would all be slagging them off if they didn't
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

I suggested this would have to happen last week. It makes perfect sense. Catalans especially are not likely to finish their games, but as long as we've all played the vast majority, then points per games is the only fair and reasonable solution to reward the work the clubs have done since January.

My only slight concern is that clubs may want to strategically get the 'right' number of absentees if they were about to play a match they would surely lose. It's something the RFL will have to monitor closely over the closing weeks, because Catalans could stand to benefit tremendously by playing 15 games rather than 20.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Well if the sport had been managed properly over the years and we'd managed to secure decent tv deals, & strong income & revenue streams (for example, kicking on after a brilliant 2013 world cup) then perhaps we might have a bit more leeway?

If it's a points percentage, do we now allow the Toronto results to stand or not?

I'm going against the grain & I'll get hammered for it, but the competition now completely lacks integrity.
    Ifs and buts and defaulting to a suitable point in the past to justify your argument doesn't change reality. We are where we are.

The competition may lack 'integrity' but the world is in a strange place right now and we have to make the most of the hand we have been dealt.

The Toronto results rightfully won't stand because they are no longer in the competition.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Just get on with it. The RFL/Superleague have to plan. You would all be slagging them off if they didn't
    Correct , get on with it . Nothing in life is normal at the moment ( apart from having dump which has returned to normal after bog roll rationing)

Plans need to be made for now and for Next season . It is what it is

Get over it and groove on brothers and sisters ✌️

So you'd have the game killed off to prove a point?

No sport could afford to just chuck away its only sources of income for an entire year, no matter how well or badly managed it had been in the past.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I suggested this would have to happen last week. It makes perfect sense. Catalans especially are not likely to finish their games, but as long as we've all played the vast majority, then points per games is the only fair and reasonable solution to reward the work the clubs have done since January.

My only slight concern is that clubs may want to strategically get the 'right' number of absentees if they were about to play a match they would surely lose. It's something the RFL will have to monitor closely over the closing weeks, because Catalans could stand to benefit tremendously by playing 15 games rather than 20.
    Catalans is an interesting situation, being the only side that will have proper home advantage (weather, geography and fans) for the short to medium term. If they can play their six home games and win the lot or even four or five of them, they would only 'need' to fulfill a handful of their remaining games in England to easily finish in the top four, off the back of a skewed set of games that massively advantaged them.

Saying that, I'm looking forward to watching a game with an actual crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Catalans is an interesting situation, being the only side that will have proper home advantage (weather, geography and fans) for the short to medium term. If they can play their six home games and win the lot or even four or five of them, they would only 'need' to fulfill a handful of their remaining games in England to easily finish in the top four, off the back of a skewed set of games that massively advantaged them.

Saying that, I'm looking forward to watching a game with an actual crowd.
    I suppose it will all "justify the play-offs". :-)

In reality, RL has a long and chequered history of skewed fixture lists and that's why the old Championship had a top four play-off in the first place. Clearly, a team finishing fifth might have a beef, but if Catalans top the table on a percentage basis and go on to win it via they play-offs, then it won't be tainted for me.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. The RL community is full of conspiracy theorists and the only guarantees are that dopey Saints fans will think it's all been done to favour Wigan and dopey Wigan fans will all think it's been done to favour Saints. :-)

Learning All The Songs

Well he was the reason for a few days anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk