Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: carney bias

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Just listened to Carney on the Golden Point podcast and he's saying how Hull KR are bucking the trend by playing an entertaining game with great exciting passing plays and doing things differently...........I think he has a SAINTS blindspot.
    Maybe 20years ago under Millward we could say that but since Anderson we have only really played off the cuff when we have "earned the right to". A lot of clubs in SL play the percentages. Hull KR don't because they can't. I think that was more his implication than saying Hull KR are more entertaining than other clubs.

With regards to Carney on SKY, I actually have no problems with him hosting the matches. I think he comes across pretty well. Phil Clarke has to go. Baz and Tez, as they liked to be called when paired together, need to take a step back.

Learning All The Songs

Just listened to Carney on the Golden Point podcast and he's saying how Hull KR are bucking the trend by playing an entertaining game with great exciting passing plays and doing things differently...........I think he has a SAINTS blindspot.
    If there was relegation this season they would be playing a lot more Conservative. No relegation, no worries for a side who would finish around the bottom of the league.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Maybe 20years ago under Millward we could say that but since Anderson we have only really played off the cuff when we have "earned the right to". A lot of clubs in SL play the percentages. Hull KR don't because they can't. I think that was more his implication than saying Hull KR are more entertaining than other clubs.

With regards to Carney on SKY, I actually have no problems with him hosting the matches. I think he comes across pretty well. Phil Clarke has to go. Baz and Tez, as they liked to be called when paired together, need to take a step back.
    Some of us will remember pre super league that we played a lot of this "off the cuff" as far back as the 80's and early 90's. We had plenty of games were we played a Harlem Globetrotters Style and we came up with a couple of innovative plays, plenty will remember the John Harrison header try for George Mann for example.

It's interesting that Carney complemented Tony Smith with this adventurous play, seem to remember the coach mentioned quite a few seasons ago that he is a big admirer of Saints style of plays.

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Not really. Your patter is terrible though.
    Sorry I, ll just try to be nice from now on

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    In the same way you can't do a apostrophe? Get back on the silly step.
    You mean “An apostrophe”

Grammar Nazi!!!!

Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    You mean “An apostrophe”

Grammar Nazi!!!!

Yes, that’s what I meant. I look foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by angry dave View Post
    yes, that’s what i meant. I look foolish.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post

Clarke adds nothing in my view, they even cut to him while there was a play the ball going on in active play likely to make him seem more relevant & informed. Can't stand it when that happens it's just lazy broadcasting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Carney is ok imo , Clarke is shockingly biased against the saints and just as biased pro wigan

"baz and tez" are ok just not the sharpest tools in the box so to speak

wells is good as is that aussie woman

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Perhaps Clarke has a watertight contract. They seem to be constantly finding new "themes" for him, I used to hate that stat board session he did.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The South Stand

Carney is woeful. His dress sense is abysmal and his chat on par with that. He often stumbles through sentences, stuttering his way through saying club names, it’s not even like it’s particularly hard to do.

Clarke, McDermott, O’Connor and Wells are terrible, too. I don’t think you’d get an insightful comment out of them between now and the end of 2021, let alone this season. They desperately need recently retired players on or coaches that aren’t Noble or Kear. I’d even offer Wilkin the hosting role if he wants it, he’d not only be good at that but he’d add valuable insight to a conversation rather than the dull rubbish we get now.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by JB1973 View Post
    Carney is ok imo , Clarke is shockingly biased against the saints and just as biased pro wigan

"baz and tez" are ok just not the sharpest tools in the box so to speak

wells is good as is that aussie woman
    Wells is the worst in terms of obvious bias after Phil. It's so unprofessional from Sky having him on there. He's the Director of Rugby at Cas, yet he's commenting on not only their games but all other clubs as well. He was trying his best to make a case against one of our players at the weekend in the hope he could get them banned for a nothing incident. Imagine Cas get to the semis or final and he's commenting on their opponents in the other semi final. Do Sky really not see the conflict of interests there? Also talking of conflicts of interest, how Phil Clark still has a job is beyond me. The list of bizarre statements he comes out with about his brother's players is beyond me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

You can see why Sky were so keen on Clarke to begin with. He was a good player, a reasonably well known name in the sport, he's not a bad looking fella and he had a vocabulary that extended beyond the usual stereotypical ex-player on the box. They looked at him as a face that would attract a new set of people to the sport, and offset the more 'traditional' Stevo.

Unfortunately he's completely old-hat now. He offset the older Eddie and Stevo by being a younger face in the studio, but with Carney there now he's just making up the numbers in that regard. And in terms of his 'analysis', the likes of Wilkin tick all of the above boxes in terms of name value, appearance, vocabulary etc, but importantly the likes of Wilkin are smarter and more coherent, and Clarke hasn't kept up so has tried to stand out by making ridiculous comments and tipping weird things to happen just to be heard.

He had his time and his place, and I think he did okay for a while. But that time and place has been and gone.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Wells is the worst in terms of obvious bias after Phil. It's so unprofessional from Sky having him on there. He's the Director of Rugby at Cas, yet he's commenting on not only their games but all other clubs as well. He was trying his best to make a case against one of our players at the weekend in the hope he could get them banned for a nothing incident. Imagine Cas get to the semis or final and he's commenting on their opponents in the other semi final. Do Sky really not see the conflict of interests there? Also talking of conflicts of interest, how Phil Clark still has a job is beyond me. The list of bizarre statements he comes out with about his brother's players is beyond me.
    I usually don't mind Wells but the whole chat between him and Carney around the Cas - Salford game was disgraceful and embarrassing.

Oddly, Clark was the only that was talking sense about the Evalds situation. Everyone else was trying to make a big controversy about it and he just wanted to talk about the match. (Probably the first and last time that I am going to praise Clark)
    Last edited by LaVenRouge; 7th September 2020 at 14:19. Reason: Clark(e)'s name

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    You can see why Sky were so keen on Clarke to begin with. He was a good player, a reasonably well known name in the sport, he's not a bad looking fella and he had a vocabulary that extended beyond the usual stereotypical ex-player on the box. They looked at him as a face that would attract a new set of people to the sport, and offset the more 'traditional' Stevo.

Unfortunately he's completely old-hat now. He offset the older Eddie and Stevo by being a younger face in the studio, but with Carney there now he's just making up the numbers in that regard. And in terms of his 'analysis', the likes of Wilkin tick all of the above boxes in terms of name value, appearance, vocabulary etc, but importantly the likes of Wilkin are smarter and more coherent, and Clarke hasn't kept up so has tried to stand out by making ridiculous comments and tipping weird things to happen just to be heard.

He had his time and his place, and I think he did okay for a while. But that time and place has been and gone.
    The odd thing about Clarke is that he was relatively sensible when he started out, but since Stevo retired he seems to have taken it upon himself to become the studio 'eccentric'.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    The odd thing about Clarke is that he was relatively sensible when he started out, but since Stevo retired he seems to have taken it upon himself to become the studio 'eccentric'.
    I’m absolutely certain that Sky told Clarke to purposely go against the grain in regards to video referee decisions so that Cummings got some air time.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

The only thing I have against Carney is the way he went OTT about McManus with the "Hicks Affair" it got to a point that Carney was shight stirring with guns blazing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post

The joke used to be that Clarke was a closet Saints fan. I don't know whether those sort of 'accusations' made him switch 180 degrees (or whether he tried extra hard to appear unbiased when he was still relatively new to TV work that he came across as liking Saints), but he became proper anti-Saints, having a dig at every opportunity.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

The only thing I have against Carney is the way he went OTT about McManus with the "Hicks Affair" it got to a point that Carney was shight stirring with guns blazing.
    That and the time he wet his knickers over a Luke Walsh tackle that resulted in a ban meaning he missed the game against his former club, the pie fiddlers.

I was and am disappointed that he has used his position to influence others, that and the fact he’s crap! I’d keep Wells, bring in Wilkin and a couple of new faces to freshen it up.
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    The joke used to be that Clarke was a closet Saints fan. I don't know whether those sort of 'accusations' made him switch 180 degrees (or whether he tried extra hard to appear unbiased when he was still relatively new to TV work that he came across as liking Saints), but he became proper anti-Saints, having a dig at every opportunity.
    I'm not really bothered about bias in commentary - I think it's generally one of those things that all supporters think is happening against their team. What I tend to find with Sky is that they root for the underdog, which doesn't bother me but I can see why it winds some people up. For me the problem with Clarke is that he talks utter balls.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    Perhaps Clarke has a watertight contract. They seem to be constantly finding new "themes" for him, I used to hate that stat board session he did.
    Remember he had a thing like a clock, it was so boring I don't even remember what it was supposed to measure. It must have been bad for Sky to bin it after 1 season

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Remember he had a thing like a clock, it was so boring I don't even remember what it was supposed to measure. It must have been bad for Sky to bin it after 1 season
    The prediction metre thing?

They've really had some garbage, but that was the worst.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by belgian saint View Post
    remember he had a thing like a clock

The Margin Meter wasn't it?!

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    The Margin Meter wasn't it?!
    Margin meter was garbage but no worse than XG in football.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk