Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bulldogs chase British stars and Pangai

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Welcome home Luke.
    Indeed. Would be great having him back lol! Not sure why he ever signed for a clown show like Canterbury whoSe coaching staff make Alan Ball look like he was a genius!

Just seen Thompsons stats 8 carries for over 80 metres. I was expecting a Clubb esque 6 carries for 30, hardly seems like ‘no impact.’ Apparently thats getting worse each week
    ��

Fwiw this was Brett Kimmorley’s take on the situation.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/23/...-the-bulldogs/

Probably just a bunch of cranks at the Bulldogs expecting Thompson to win every game with a hat trick for them.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 23rd August 2020 at 08:12.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

I have a feeling Justin Holbrook could come to his rescue and give him a chance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    I have a feeling Justin Holbrook could come to his rescue and give him a chance.
    And he’d be better utilised in that Titans team than a side like Canterbury who still play in the dark ages. Horses for courses.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    He offers a quick play the ball for the Bulldogs but thats about it. Tolman and Napa are shyte but still manage to make more metres, tackles and post contact metres than Thompson. I just don’t think Thompson is big enough to be a NRL prop. I also question his heart. He just jogs about the pitch, no urgency in his game. He doesn’t go looking for the ball. He doesn’t fancy tackling big men either. He prefers to just come in as third defender round the legs. He can’t wrap up ball carriers either. Teams always get the offload away when they run at him.
    I can’t see him seeing out his contract.
    The few clips I've seen he looks as though he is prepping for a big impact instead of thinking of a tackle bust, he does seem to struggle with the better tackling technique out there. If he doesn't improve his performances and more important in enjoy the game, then he might rethink that he is better suited to Superleague with the less intensity.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Indeed. Would be great having him back lol! Not sure why he ever signed for a clown show like Canterbury whoSe coaching staff make Alan Ball look like he was a genius!

Just seen Thompsons stats 8 carries for over 80 metres. I was expecting a Clubb esque 6 carries for 30, hardly seems like ‘no impact.’ Apparently thats getting worse each week
    ��

Fwiw this was Brett Kimmorley’s take on the situation.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/23/...-the-bulldogs/

Probably just a bunch of cranks at the Bulldogs expecting Thompson to win every game with a hat trick for them.
    You're most likely right. Canterbury would get pasted most weeks over here.

Quote Originally Posted by saint mac View Post
    Someone said that to me last week. I was hoping that he'd get sick of the Aussie press/people/beer/creepy crawlies/weather.

Got A Replica Shirt

No it’s wrong on a number of levels. It’s stripping you of talent and holding back some younger talent here. Thompson not so good today, but the Dogs are awful.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Thommo was bossing it at prop. He's quick, agile and a great runner of the ball. So why sign him and move positions? Theres a big difference between prop and loose forward. I know hes not been asked to play as a LF, more of a 3rd prop but still simple things make big differences

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Think you are going a bit OTT on Tolman and Napa. There are plenty better but they are two decent workhorses with great respect in the NRL...

Thompson is looking a bit undersized at the moment and needs a full NRL off season. Don’t know why he joined the Dogs anyway. Titans will be much closer to top 8 than the Dogs next year

Thompson is too small for the NRL unfortunately. I said before he’d played a game he’d be banjoed around relentlessly and would be back in SL before we knew it

The tacking is far more intense and physical down under, we drop at the first contact for quick play the ball but they don’t

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint in Queensland View Post
    Think you are going a bit OTT on Tolman and Napa. There are plenty better but they are two decent workhorses with great respect in the NRL...

Thompson is looking a bit undersized at the moment and needs a full NRL off season. Don’t know why he joined the Dogs anyway. Titans will be much closer to top 8 than the Dogs next year
    Tolman is trash. Used to be a fair player but miles past it now. As I said the Bulldogs play a predictable and slow ‘pound the rock’ game which doesnt suit LT. Look at the Saints props - built for speed not like gym addicts. If rugby was all about that youd have a pack full of the worlds strongest men.

I agree. The one game I saw of them one of their props looked like championship standard

Got A Season Ticket

Thompson will go well next season with a good off season in him. He should of stayed at Saints until the season is over. It wasn’t the greatest idea to go to a club in turmoil in the middle of the season. It would have been better going to a team doing well like Parramatta where it would be easier to adapt with better players around him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I doubt it pal. They may be bottom of the NRL but they have lost a ton of games by less than 6 points. They would be a top 5 team over here, easily.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I agree. The one game I saw of them one of their props looked like championship standard
    They are one of the worst nrl teams I've seen; as bad as Souths around 2002/3ish. Id seriously have backed Toronto to have run them close.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Tolman is trash. Used to be a fair player but miles past it now. As I said the Bulldogs play a predictable and slow ‘pound the rock’ game which doesnt suit LT. Look at the Saints props - built for speed not like gym addicts. If rugby was all about that youd have a pack full of the worlds strongest men.
    Thompson , undoubted a fine talent has been thrown into a team which does not contribute to his qualities . Running the ball off the back of big AlÂ’s hard yards LT was often the second phase hitting the line when we had a roll on or the Defensive line was not set. His power speed and agility was overwhelming for most defensive in that scenario .

He has not been utilised in this was so far at the Bulldogs , arguably out of position at loose his defence has been more at the fore than what we know him for . Apart from that, his fellow forwards are seemingly lacking in the go forward , meaning Luke canÂ’t show off his qualities .

Thompson is at his best with a roll on, something that is less prominent in then NRL with fitter and faster defensive lines , it may not suit his style ? If he can adjust his style he will be a world beater if not he could be back .

Learning All The Songs

Thompson not in the squad this weekend. Come home, Luke.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Thompson not in the squad this weekend. Come home, Luke.
    NRL 360 this morning said he was being rested and Spud Carol was on the show and he said “It just shows you how soft SL is if you need a rest after 7 Games of NRL “ the same guy that got knocked out every other week when he played for the London broncos lololol

Default Bulldogs chase British stars and Pangai

Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    NRL 360 this morning said he was being rested and Spud Carol was on the show and he said “It just shows you how soft SL is if you need a rest after 7 Games of NRL “ the same guy that got knocked out every other week when he played for the London broncos lololol
    Haha - Spud Carroll got his backside served up to him on a silver platter every week when he was over here.

Default Bulldogs chase British stars and Pangai

I may be completely wrong here, but I wonder if it’s a mental thing with Thommo. It took him a while to become a dominant figure at Saints, but once he got there he was demanding the ball in every set and running onto the ball from deep and with reckless intent. Having watched him play for the Bulldogs a few times he reminds me a bit of what he was like when he was younger - a bit unsure of himself, and not knowing whether to put himself forward for a big carry.

It may be that he’s a bit shy and needs time to settle into the group and think of himself as a top player - I don’t know - but he’s likely on big money and performance will be expected sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I may be completely wrong here, but I wonder if it’s a mental thing with Thommo. It took him a while to become a dominant figure at Saints, but once he got there he was demanding the ball in every set and running onto the ball from deep and with reckless intent. Having watched him play for the Bulldogs a few times he reminds me a bit of what he was like when he was younger - a bit unsure of himself, and not knowing whether to put himself forward for a big carry.

It may be that he’s a bit shy and needs time to settle into the group and think of himself as a top player - I don’t know - but he’s likely on big money and performance will be expected sooner rather than later.
    Thats a strong possibility Dux. He made his debut 7 years ago but he’s only really hit something like a peak over the last 18 months. Some players develop confidence over time. Less so these days as it has become a young mans sport but years ago players (prop forwards especially) didn’t hit their peak until late 20’s once they had aged and gained respect amongst other forwards. It was like a pecking order and you had to have been around a while and wait your turn to be top dog. Like i said, thats less so these days because its a young mans game now. But Thompson has taken some time to develop into the player he is.
    Going to the NRL where the blokes are bigger, hit harder and gang tackle in numbers has maybe knocked his confidence a bit. It probably feels like the first day of infant school all over again.

If im Mike Rush im on the phone to Thompsons agent right now trying to get an idea how Lukes feeling. I wouldn’t want to rush into signing a prop for next season if theirs half a chance Thompson wants to return to the UK.

If im Mike Rush im on the phone to Thompsons agent right now trying to get an idea how Lukes feeling. I wouldn’t want to rush into signing a prop for next season if theirs half a chance Thompson wants to return to the UK.
    Definitely.

Banned

Absolutely. In fact I'd be on to him personally (of course Rush won't do that as we're far too professional ).

Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    Im pretty enraged by this. I read the Aussie forums. A few folk are calling to send Thompson home because he’s another ‘super league superstar flop’ which really pi**es me off. Our forwards have been revelations in the NRL. Graham, Burgess, Morley, Ellis, Bateman, Cooper, Sutton off the top of my head. In fact the only forwards i can think of that failed miserably were Lee Mossop and to a lesser extent Joe Greenwood. I thought Greenwood looked handy but the new coach that came in didn’t want him. He definitely had the ability to make it over there.

I do feel for Thompson. I wasn’t impressed with how he left us but i still wanted him to go well down under.

As for Mark Carols comments!! He was crap for London. When we played them Brett Goldspink gave him a pasting. He was crap.

https://youtu.be/LD3Tcpscmbc

This is all i remember from Pud Carols career.

Learning All The Songs

Saints and Thompson did not part on the best of terms.