Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Another signing?

Default Another signing?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    I dont get why people are saying Lees is to lightweight. If we bulk him up, we are just setting ourselves up for a pack thats just 5 drives and a punt.

Lee's would be better off in the preseason learning decent running lines and building up and offload technique.

Hes already got a bit of grit about him , he'll never back down, lets develop his game, evolve him as a player rather than turning him into a glorified battering ram.
    Any team, no matter how expansively they play, needs a glorified battering ram or two.

To me it makes sense to build his size because the strengths in his game are suited to a big bloke - he runs straight and hard, is absolutely fearless and loves throwing his weight around. I think it makes more sense, and will be much easier, to change his weight than to try to change his instincts.

EDIT: I’d also echo what Wee Waa Womble says above. There’s no reason why he can’t put on weight and add subtleties to his game at the same time.

Starting A Programme Collection

prop's need to run and run straight first and foremost, it's a tough position to play if your giving up size and weight

you can be as brave as you like but if your constantly running into players 2/3 stones heavier your not going to make much yardage

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I dont get why people are saying Lees is to lightweight. If we bulk him up, we are just setting ourselves up for a pack thats just 5 drives and a punt.

Lee's would be better off in the preseason learning decent running lines and building up and offload technique.

Hes already got a bit of grit about him , he'll never back down, lets develop his game, evolve him as a player rather than turning him into a glorified battering ram.
    I don't think people are suggesting bulking him up to be a battering ram, he was a little over 100kg when he first started and went down to 94 kg during his bad illness. Put another 5kg on him with the same leg speed I would expect him to be something similar to LMS, quite surprised when he has made the occasional break he runs with his head up ready to pass to the supporting player, we probably need a bit more of that.

Don’t shoot the messenger.. If indeed there is a message, but twitter rumours hinting Luke Thompson signing for Wigan / Leeds..
    One source is a subscription which I don’t subscribe to just has a headline Luke Thompson to Wigan??.
    As I say not sure if it’s all crap, but that would be a coup..

Yes I know the pitfalls of twitter.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Don’t shoot the messenger.. If indeed there is a message, but twitter rumours hinting Luke Thompson signing for Wigan / Leeds..
    One source is a subscription which I don’t subscribe to just has a headline Luke Thompson to Wigan??.

That’s come from Johnny Davidson. I don’t subscribe to his stuff but he’s usually spot on when it comes to his stuff.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

A swap between Luke Thompson and George Burgess was rumoured the other day, quickly shot down by The Mole on Twitter.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

I'm not going to get sucked in on this and doubt there's any truth in it but, if it did happen, I'd be amazed.

Firstly, there's no way we'd not be offering him a return. That would mean he'd have to reject us. I doubt we're short of cash - and with Amor and LMS off contract for next season, we could find even more (assuming we've not re-signed them already). Four props of Walmsley, Paasi, Thompson & Lees would be superb. I know McManus made that comment when he went, but there's have to be immature petulance from one or both to refuse to work together again.

Secondly, he's on record for saying he really hates the pies. He was a Saint in an Ashton school full of six-fingered scum fans. Players won't refuse to play for rivals, obviously (I dare say that growing up, players like Long & Joynt hated Saints), but when a player has been at their hometown, boyhood club and are wanted back by them, unless there's a massive disparity in wages on offer (and I doubt there would be), I'd be stumped for the player to go the rival knowing how much they'd be despised by the fans of their former club.

Thirdly, if he was going to another team, it would surely be wanky, with their 'flexible salary cap' and superior culture.

I personally think he will start next season in the NRL. It's been a crazy year and I think he and Canterbury know that circumstances dictate he wasn't anything like his best. Canterbury won't want to give up on their investment after only a fraction of a mad season; Thompson won't want to give up his ambition so quickly and be written off as a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    A swap between Luke Thompson and George Burgess was rumoured the other day, quickly shot down by The Mole on Twitter.
    As said above the source is usually quite accurate but as I don’t subscribe it could just be a headline to pull you in. Hence the ?? After the headline. The thought of him going to Wigan would be a lot too handle.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

Thompson to Wigan, that would hurt.

New contract for Morgan Knowles. That is great news.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Thompson to Wigan wouldnt surprise me.

I might be a bit out of step with the majority of the forum ,but I felt his actions in a time of uncertainty where nothing short of Mercenary.

If Wigan come knocking with a bag full of cash then I think he would pull on Costa Coffee RL shirt.

Thompson to Wigan wouldnt surprise me.

I might be a bit out of step with the majority of the forum ,but I felt his actions in a time of uncertainty where nothing short of Mercenary.

If Wigan come knocking with a bag full of cash then I think he would pull on Costa Coffee RL shirt.
    Probably missing Big Al's first hit up scattering defenders for him to take a carry on the back of.

Thompson to Wigan would be a shame, but such is life. Two things make me sceptical about the rumour, though: first, Wigan have Bevan French and John Bateman on what must be marquee contracts for next year. I would have thought any SL club signing Thompson would need to offer a marquee wage, too. Second, the idea that the Bulldogs would take in return an overweight prop who was binned off by Souths a year ago and has done nothing since strikes me as improbable, to say the least. It wouldn't surprise me to see Leeds go for Thompson, though. They're in desperate need of proper forwards, they have money, and they now have a connection in Sean Long.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

I’d be shocked if Thompson jacked in the NRL after just 10 games. I’d have thought he’d want to give it a proper go regardless of how homesick he may or may not be.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Probably missing Big Al's first hit up scattering defenders for him to take a carry on the back of.
    True , but it was a formula that worked really well

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'm not going to get sucked in on this and doubt there's any truth in it but, if it did happen, I'd be amazed.

Firstly, there's no way we'd not be offering him a return. That would mean he'd have to reject us. I doubt we're short of cash - and with Amor and LMS off contract for next season, we could find even more (assuming we've not re-signed them already). Four props of Walmsley, Paasi, Thompson & Lees would be superb. I know McManus made that comment when he went, but there's have to be immature petulance from one or both to refuse to work together again.

Secondly, he's on record for saying he really hates the pies. He was a Saint in an Ashton school full of six-fingered scum fans. Players won't refuse to play for rivals, obviously (I dare say that growing up, players like Long & Joynt hated Saints), but when a player has been at their hometown, boyhood club and are wanted back by them, unless there's a massive disparity in wages on offer (and I doubt there would be), I'd be stumped for the player to go the rival knowing how much they'd be despised by the fans of their former club.

Thirdly, if he was going to another team, it would surely be wanky, with their 'flexible salary cap' and superior culture.

I personally think he will start next season in the NRL. It's been a crazy year and I think he and Canterbury know that circumstances dictate he wasn't anything like his best. Canterbury won't want to give up on their investment after only a fraction of a mad season; Thompson won't want to give up his ambition so quickly and be written off as a failure.
    If he came back he wasnts 600k a yesr

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    I honestly don't know but is any UK based player on that already? I'd suppose there's a few Aussies up there but that figure has taken me aback a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Aus $?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I think Luke will stay in aus he is not a quitter.
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Gold Coast Titans, its just a matter of time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    In Aus $?
    Sorry no sterling

Sorry no sterling
    He’s a cracking player but no way is he worth that.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Don’t have access to the article but title ‘Mata’utia deal moves closer’

https://www.totalrl.com/matautia-deal-moves-closer/

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

The article says we’ve offered him a 3 year deal and he’s currently in talks with Newcastle to negotiate his release. Sounds like he’s agreed to come and just needs Newcastle to allow it basically as he’s under contract til the end of 2021.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    I honestly don't know but is any UK based player on that already? I'd suppose there's a few Aussies up there but that figure has taken me aback a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thats what I was told