Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Hull FC

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Crap attendance last night.
    Liverpool was very busy for St Patricks day. I did wonder if that has had some effect.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I note that the crowd tonight was 9,218. That's a 6,000 drop-off from the opening game. The only time we had a lower crowd than that last season was when we put the reserves out on Bank Holiday Monday against Wakefield. Is that how many walk away after a couple of defeats? I'm sorry, but that's utterly disgraceful.
    To be honest I'm happy to see the "glory hunters" from the openng home fixture b*gger off. Good riddance, get back to your Premier league football! As for the game, watching it back I felt much better than what I saw live. Yes, we're not hitting our straps but the baggage from the WCC plus missing Matauia, Hurrell, Percy, Batchelor and of course Hopoate cannot be ignored.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Liverpool was very busy for St Patricks day. I did wonder if that has had some effect.
    Which goes back to matchday experience and how poor it is.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    What Warrington have done is completely reshape their side.

Vaughan and Kasiano are looking great signings for them but it's not just in the forwards. They've speed and strike at full back with Dufty and on both flanks. Their halves are both running the ball and same with their two hookers. They've Josh McGuire to add in soon as well, who'll be a ball playing forward for them.

That doesn't mean I think they'll win the competition(s), it's early days and of course Saints will be in the mix for all the silverware. Think it's clear though that Warrington will be an extra threat on last year to add to Wigan and I'd say Catalan too. It's better for the integrity of the competition to have more teams challenging.

Saints don't need a massive overhaul on the scale that Warrington have done but a freshness to the side should have been done. I've spoken about this extensively in the transfer rumours thread.

Saints are looking flat. Both sides looked toothless last night and the first half especially, was a poor watch. A lot of the televised games we're seeing have been poor.

Teams have figured out how to play against Saints and are being brave in promoting the offloads and moving the ball to the edges quickly. Teams know that Saints want to make the game an arm-wrestle and don't offer a threat of striking from deep.

Just a point on whether there's a hangover from the WCC... I actually wonder if some of the players are believing the hype/being cocksure. Example being Welsby holding his arms out as if he was the Messiah after scoring a walk-in try last night. If he'd gone the length or bust through 5 tackles like Ben Barba used to do, then fair enough. Just need to remember about the fundamentals of hard work and being humble.
    I think we need to look at the backs. Hurrell and Makinson are not getting any younger, though Makinson still has a few years left. Percy can't be relied on to complete a full season and we are playing a young FB as a winger. Definitely need a rebuild.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    To be honest I'm happy to see the "glory hunters" from the openng home fixture b*gger off. Good riddance, get back to your Premier league football! As for the game, watching it back I felt much better than what I saw live. Yes, we're not hitting our straps but the baggage from the WCC plus missing Matauia, Hurrell, Percy, Batchelor and of course Hopoate cannot be ignored.
    So it's season ticket or don't bother not all supporters can afford one and prefer to pick there matches

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    You can’t be really happy to see Saints lose fans and cash can you. I don’t see anything positive in that ?.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Penrith Plonker View Post
    Not really, Paddy's day is once a year, it was also Gold Cup day so plenty will have been out on the ale from early. I'm guessing quite a few don't have the money to drink all day, bet and go to the match. And obviously some patchy form.
    It does. St Patrick’s Day is once a year on the same date every single year. If you can’t think of something to try and attract a crowd to watch the four times Champions and World Champions, then someone needs sacking. But when you’ve done, a mascot walking around and a group of teenage girls with Pom-poms for the best part of 30 years, it’s little surprise to see nothing done.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Got A Replica Shirt

If winning the GF 4 years in a row isn't enough on it's own to fill the ground then surely the club needs to do something else?

An "experience" outside of the game is obviously not meant for people who are invested enough to post on here but, it will help attract new or more casual fans along with encouraging partners and children of people already going to tag along.

I agree that the success of the team should be enough but it clearly isn't.

Overhauling the food and beverage offer would be a good starting point. Pricing, choice and service are all currently poor. Marketing is the same. Great job done around the Leeds game but we should do something for every game if we're not getting regular sell outs. A St Patrick's Day game should be easy to market

Noooobie

Saints have won 4 grand finals in a row and beat a highly rated Aussie team in their own back yard.

And now lost 2 games in a 9 month long play-off-based post-season?

Benison, Dodd, Lomax, Davies, Ritson and Walmsley are all shit and Sironen, Mata’utia and Hurrell are out of control monsters?

You should have this forum taken off you.

This forum is a joke.

You are shitting your pants that Wire will beats us at Old Trafford, get a ••••ing grip.

Maybe we won't win 5 in a row, we might, but if we don't so ••••ing what?

Jesus.

Enjoy the moment, the best team in the world!

Learning All The Songs

If we don't win 5 in a row so what??? But we want to be entertained...................We are spoilt YES................Entertained A MUST.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

My suggestion was that the St Patricks Day celebrations in Liverpool could partly explain why we had a disappointing attendance. Kids were flocking there from the likes of Crewe earlier that day, so I would expect something similar happened in St Helens.
    I passed through Liverpool on my way home after the game. It was heaving!
    There's no way on earth that Saints could compete with that sort of party!

Noooobie

•••• me, context, just returned from Australia after beating the best team in recent memory. Sorry if if players limping off the field covered in bandages are not giving enough for you all.

In The South Stand

Might have communicated it differently, but I’m with St Ulrich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by St. Ulrich of Augsburg View Post
    •••• me, context, just returned from Australia after beating the best team in recent memory. Sorry if if players limping off the field covered in bandages are not giving enough for you all.
    Fair point!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by St. Ulrich of Augsburg View Post
    How long is this excuse going to keep coming out? Australia was over 4 weeks ago.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    How long is this excuse going to keep coming out? Australia was over 4 weeks ago.
    Quite a while. It's not the actual trip per se it's the psychological hangover of that and 4 years of being at the top with everyone wanting to knock you off. It looks like their minds are not in it. Not because they don't care but because they care too much so they are trying too hard

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Quite a while. It's not the actual trip per se it's the psychological hangover of that and 4 years of being at the top with everyone wanting to knock you off. It looks like their minds are not in it. Not because they don't care but because they care too much so they are trying too hard
    100% agree.

If we don't win 5 in a row so what??? But we want to be entertained...................We are spoilt YES................Entertained A MUST.
    What utter tripe…. “Entertained is a must” go back to bed

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by WIDE2WEST View Post
    What utter tripe…. “Entertained is a must” go back to bed

I think you’ve missed the irony in that post 😊

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

We need to lower our expectations, could take months and months mentally at the moment we can'y play with any intensity for 80 mins, 5 seasons of dominance is a big ask. Our players just need to be picking up form around September, think we can just forget the LLS altogether, let the early forerunners take all the acolades and later Saints will pick them off one by one in the second half of the season.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Nail. Hammer. Head

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We need to lower our expectations, could take months and months mentally at the moment we can'y play with any intensity for 80 mins, 5 seasons of dominance is a big ask. Our players just need to be picking up form around September, think we can just forget the LLS altogether, let the early forerunners take all the acolades and later Saints will pick them off one by one in the second half of the season.
    I wonder whether they have got a sports psychologist

In The South Stand

Wow. There's no pleasing some people.
    Leaving that game many of the "fans"were gobby idiots winding people up and looking for a spat, if you want those sort of "fans" you're welcome to them. If it's Wire's year this year, no doubt they'll turn up there, once the Premier League is finished, of course. Naturally I want the club to attract supporters but wind up merchants with flares and attitude I can do without.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

It’s not just the flying, which apparently was a bit of a disaster anyway. They probably spent their first 8-10 days with their bodies on UK time while operating on Aus time.
    Then they would have had the same in reverse coming home. After that thrown straight into an away game. It catches up with you. I have done literally hundreds of intercontinental flights and when I got home all I wanted to do was sleep.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

You've said it yourself, four time champions and world champions. That should be enough, and no gimmick is going to suddenly add 500, 1000, 2000 or 20000 and the gate.

I really don't get this "experience" stuff. People are either interested or clearly not in this case.
    I go for the experience on the field. Probably not fair on any artist Saints put on, but I am happier having a beer under the stand and discussing the game and players.