Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: 18th Man

Starting A Programme Collection

Smile 18th Man

Super League following the NRL in introducing an additional player in there match day squad. Can be used as an interchange player if 3 players in their team fail HIA in the same match

In The South Stand

Seems a bit of a reach. Have three players from one side ever failed HIAs in one game?

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Seems a bit of a reach. Have three players from one side ever failed HIAs in one game?
    It has happened in the NRL a couple of times

In The South Stand

Was surprised that it’s as high as three. I’m sure I’ve heard of two but not three.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Was surprised that it’s as high as three. I’m sure I’ve heard of two but not three.
    NRL 3 last season don't know if they reduced it to 2 for 2023

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    NRL 3 last season don't know if they reduced it to 2 for 2023
    They have indeed reduced it to 2 for the upcoming season.

18th-player rule
    The number of failed head-injury assessments will be reduced from three to two to trigger the activation of the 18th player. This will allow greater flexibility for clubs that lose multiple players to head injuries in a match.

Got A Season Ticket

This sport will die

In a world people still box, MMA and now a knew sport where people have 3 attempts to slap each other as hard as they can. Rugby seems to have all the HIA rules

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post
    This sport will die

In a world people still box, MMA and now a knew sport where people have 3 attempts to slap each other as hard as they can. Rugby seems to have all the HIA rules
    We also have the "joint going out of the range of movement" rulingI bet the wrestlers and judo people were laughing their heads off with that Knowles incident last season. The game will probably be Sterile Complete by the year 2025.

Learning All The Songs

In fairness I'm not sure that there's any need for outrage on this? There's no new interpretation of the rulings making anything striciter, only that if you ge a couple of failed HIAs then you get an extra sub. It's not making anything any less combatant.

I do agree the game is being over sanitised in some ways, but a failed HIA is an indication of brain trauma. That doesn't fall into the over sanitisation of the sport, that's just protecting human welfare based upon the scientific evidence we now have available about head injury.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    In fairness I'm not sure that there's any need for outrage on this? There's no new interpretation of the rulings making anything striciter, only that if you ge a couple of failed HIAs then you get an extra sub. It's not making anything any less combatant.

I do agree the game is being over sanitised in some ways, but a failed HIA is an indication of brain trauma. That doesn't fall into the over sanitisation of the sport, that's just protecting human welfare based upon the scientific evidence we now have available about head injury.

Aiden sezer missed what could be his biggest game if his career when he felt completely fine in the week leading to the final. It's scandalous

In The South Stand

Aiden sezer missed what could be his biggest game if his career when he felt completely fine in the week leading to the final. It's scandalous
    Feeling fine and being fine are two different things. Sad for him that he missed out,but the rule is there for a reason.

Got A Season Ticket

It has happened in the NRL a couple of times
    Think it was one of the origin games last season that was carnage at the start. Think 3 went off with concussion in the first 5 or 10 mins

Learning All The Songs

This sport will die

Nobody professionally boxes every 6-7 days for 6+ months, you cannot compare Rugby with these combat sports.

Learning All The Songs

Felt fine.

The players need to be protected from themselves sometimes. If you get the chance, have a listen to what James Graham has to say on HIA and concussion regulations, it's a really interesting listen coming from someone who played the game as hard as any.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Nobody professionally boxes every 6-7 days for 6+ months, you cannot compare Rugby with these combat sports.
    A really poor comparable there. In an average boxing bout, if it went the full 36 minutes. Around 200 punches land between the two fighters. Let’s say half of them are head shots. That would mean each fighter receives repeated direct contact head trauma an average of every 21+ seconds in that short space of time.
    A one time concussion In rugby league results in a player being tested there and then by a doctor following being removed from the field. They will now receive almost two weeks recovery, to note this does not happen to every player every week of the season.
    In summary, really hard to compare the two sports.

Learning All The Songs

This has been done in "The Tackle Question" thread.
    A brilliant TedTalk is in there with all the new research since 2019.
    There will be changes to all contact sports.

I thought this was about Wigan fans.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I thought this was about Wigan fans.
    Would require an amendment to the rule to stipulate that the 18th man was only allowed for 70 minutes...

Personally I would like to see more players on the subs bench full stop. Having proper replacements for backs and halves would improve injury hit games.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Personally I would like to see more players on the subs bench full stop. Having proper replacements for backs and halves would improve injury hit games.

I would like to see us to be able to select from a larger number of subs, but not to increase the number of subs able to be used. I think that may be what you were suggesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Hull KR 1st team to trigger their 18th man since the rule change playing Catalan yesterday

In The South Stand

Hull KR 1st team to trigger their 18th man since the rule change playing Catalan yesterday
    Fair play. Can't even accuse them of abusing the system with the mandatory suspension for the players that failed the HIA.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I would like to see us to be able to select from a larger number of subs, but not to increase the number of subs able to be used. I think that may be what you were suggesting?
    I'd personally like to go back to substitutions and not interchanges. If a player goes off, that's it (other than maybe HIA).
    I think this would prevent a lot of the massive collision injuries on tired players when a fresh Walmsleyesque player comes charging at you.

I know it would be a massive change to how the game is coached and played now but it would increase creativity and rely less on brute force. Long-term it would improve the game as a spectacle.

Can't ever see it happening though.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    I'd personally like to go back to substitutions and not interchanges. If a player goes off, that's it (other than maybe HIA).
    I think this would prevent a lot of the massive collision injuries on tired players when a fresh Walmsleyesque player comes charging at you.

I know it would be a massive change to how the game is coached and played now but it would increase creativity and rely less on brute force. Long-term it would improve the game as a spectacle.

Can't ever see it happening though.
    I wouldn’t be bothered if they did change the rule, but it would some fundamental changes to team make up. The likes of Kasiano as an example would be finished if they were expected to do 80 each week.