Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 19 for Cas

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We need Coote back as soon as possible our pivotal players are being picked up too easily, Coote adds those unpredictable attacking shapes.
    Spot on. He gives us an extra dimension, an x factor that compliments Lomax and confuses defences. Major reason we didn't have much attacking edge last night, great defence though COYS!

Noooobie

Default 19 for Cas

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Just watched back the (incorrectly) disallowed try at the end. Can anyone offer any reason why Child waited until Lomax scores before giving a penalty for obstruction. He looked happy with it until he crossed the line.

Plus another bizarre non use of the video ref

Agree totally. If it was obstruction then blow the whistle as soon as he sees it He had a great view. !
    No - he waited until Lomax was just crossing the line until he blew whistle and claimed obstruction
    He did a similar thing in first half where he blew whistle a few seconds after the alleged offence

If the ref is so sure of the call then make the call as soon as he sees it - not after a few seconds
    Or - now here’s an idea ..........go to the VR if he’s not sure !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Yes. The last couple of years we haven't seemed to handle time off very well. Players that needed a rest should have had one by now, and we should be working on match toughness and our fluidity in passing and movement, something that has been less evident recently.
    It's the 4th and 5th tackle plays that concern me. They're awful

Banned

I took two Everton season ticket holders last night. It was the first RL game for both, "husband and wife" their thoughts included how superb to see the kids involved and the dancers and what a tough game rugby league is.

i really enjoyed the game, Cas wanted it and needed it and we toughed it out. 4-0 like how it used to be in the late sixties in the mudfests.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Last night they were one of the worst aspects of our game. Whether it was Richardson or Lomax most of the were either predictable or too rushed.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Last night they were one of the worst aspects of our game. Whether it was Richardson or Lomax most of the were either predictable or too rushed.
    IMO...We dont kick enough on the ground. Little grubber kicks to cause a bit of bother. Its always up in the air. Too predictable.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    IMO...We dont kick enough on the ground. Little grubber kicks to cause a bit of bother. Its always up in the air. Too predictable.

100% agree. It means we hardly ever get repeat sets.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    To be fair most teams put high kicks up nowadays instead of the grubbers. Coaches don’t want to run the risk of giving away a 7 tackle set.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Was saying the same last night on the way home. It’s the one thing we don’t seem to do a lot of, forcing repeat sets with little kicks into the in goal area.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post

Last night was crying out for it. Richardson ••••es me off with his constant high kicks, not normally that accurate either.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

we can also do short kicks that fall between the back three and defence line like Fax did against us.We need some variety and above all composure.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

Our kicking game was dreadful last night, Roby’s kicks are poor, and the first decent kick we did came on around 65mins when Richardson did a high one and it bounced between two Cas players. Ashworth was really struggling to keep up with play. Our play the balls were shocking as well, players are in such a rush to play it they end up losing the ball, or they try and milk a penalty (like walmsley tried to do) and he ended up dropping the ball. I wish Ganson would sort out the PTB’s.

Agree re the kicking. There is no quality in the short kicking game. It’s either a rushed grubber straight to their man or the kick to the corner which comes off a handful of times a season at best

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Cas's were even worse.

Noooobie

Our defence was absolutely superb. Grand final winning defense that. The errors however were poor and need to be sorted if we want to win it this year

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgey91 View Post
    Our defence was absolutely superb. Grand final winning defense that. The errors however were poor and need to be sorted if we want to win it this year
    Somebody will probably shoot me down in flames for this but I did wonder whether they’d been primed to play a defensive game to prepare for the semifinal and Grand Final? Was the game treated as a glorified training exercise?

Castleford had overlaps where the wingers looked certain to score and yet our defence moved across so quickly that they were left floundering with absolutely nowhere to go. Castleford also started well, playing patiently but started making their own errors as they got desperate to break our defence down.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Somebody will probably shoot me down in flames for this but I did wonder whether they’d been primed to play a defensive game to prepare for the semifinal and Grand Final? Was the game treated as a glorified training exercise?

Castleford had overlaps where the wingers looked certain to score and yet our defence moved across so quickly that they were left floundering with absolutely nowhere to go. Castleford also started well, playing patiently but started making their own errors as they got desperate to break our defence down.
    You may have a very good point.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post

I should imagine the team just wanted to get through the game, get the 2 pts, re energise and move onto to next week. Both teams made plenty of errors Saints all season have defended well to cover their mistakes, Cas are not the same standard when it happens to them. For me Holbrook wouldn't have had a defensive plan in place........we missed 51 tackles one of the highest negative stats in a game all this season.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Our kicking game was dreadful last night, Roby’s kicks are poor, and the first decent kick we did came on around 65mins when Richardson did a high one and it bounced between two Cas players. Ashworth was really struggling to keep up with play. Our play the balls were shocking as well, players are in such a rush to play it they end up losing the ball, or they try and milk a penalty (like walmsley tried to do) and he ended up dropping the ball. I wish Ganson would sort out the PTB’s.
    You mean the one where Watts clearly stripped it out?

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

We need Coote back as soon as possible our pivotal players are being picked up too easily, Coote adds those unpredictable attacking shapes.
    Friday night Castleford played without a "bobby" for the full game , allowing an extra man in the thier line defence , Brough would have had a field day against this , unfortunately not many other teams have the luxury of the guy with the best kicking game not just in the British game with the NFL included.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I should imagine the team just wanted to get through the game, get the 2 pts, re energise and move onto to next week. Both teams made plenty of errors Saints all season have defended well to cover their mistakes, Cas are not the same standard when it happens to them. For me Holbrook wouldn't have had a defensive plan in place........we missed 51 tackles one of the highest negative stats in a game all this season.
    I think this is nearer the reality. A great defensive effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Im pretty certain if we defend like we did on Friday night for the rest of season, then we will surely be grand final winners
    It’d take a special team to beat us, that’s for sure.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Im pretty certain if we defend like we did on Friday night for the rest of season, then we will surely be grand final winners
    Not if our discipline with the ball is like it was on Friday. Our defence is very impressive but we won’t get away with all those errors in a final.

Defensively solid on friday. Particularly after CC.

However Cas are very limited in attack.
    No Pace or threat. (gale,shenton,eden etc)

Other than the CCF blip, defence has been excellent all season.

Attack has been either sublime or very ordinary and not much in between.
    Saints also not had many intense tight games.

GFs are about taking 2-3 chances in 80 mins.

Attack needs to be better. Not Harelm Globetrotters better but clinical.

Won't be easy.

A hull kr fan said to me yesterday afternoon, would a Warrington, wigan, hull fc or salford fan be worried about potentially having to play saints at old Trafford,, based on our Friday night performance?
    I'd see it like this...

If a team scores 16 or more points against us in a play off game, we have got a major problem.

Our defence is pretty good, our effort is tremendous, particularly the back line on exit sets.

What we are not doing is building a platform with the forwards & creating pressure situations by forcing repeat sets or at least using a good short kicking game to make the opposition defence panic/scramble.

If we don't sort this out quickly, we will not make the final. Winning the final is another task entirely. As it stands, my gut feeling is that we will be losing finalists.

We are not as good as we have been made out. But that is through no lack of effort. The crunch games are played on percentages and pushing the rules to slow us down at the ruck.

We have been found out & it's going to take a special, thought out plan to counteract it