Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benji Marshall

Learning All The Songs

Default Benji Marshall

TotalRL stating he has been offered to SL clubs for next season. Should we be interested? Give him a year or two with Dodd working under him?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    TotalRL stating he has been offered to SL clubs for next season. Should we be interested? Give him a year or two with Dodd working under him?
    No

Got A Season Ticket

no thanks

In The South Stand

If he can still run, yes. If he can't, no.

I don't think I've seen him play since he was in his prime that I can remember.

Banned

Definitely not. Has Wire written all over it with their elastic salary cap...
    We should prioritise money on the pack.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Brilliant in his prime but no point now.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Definitely not. Has Wire written all over it with their elastic salary cap...
    We should prioritise money on the pack.
    Was just going to say Warrington might be interested but they might hang on to see if Darren Lockyear could be available.

Banned

No chance, far too much of gamble, he's 35 now and would still probably want a fair wedge.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

‘Offered to super league clubs’ is code for ‘let Toronto know there’s another over the hill player who wants one last big pay check’
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Was just going to say Warrington might be interested but they might hang on to see if Darren Lockyear could be available.

They could have them both. I’m sure they’ve still got space available on their salary cap.

In The South Stand

My initial thought was the Catalans Dragon Holiday Home for Antipodeans. He was still good last year so could easily do a job over here.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    If he can still run, yes. If he can't, no.

I don't think I've seen him play since he was in his prime that I can remember.
    In his prime he was absolutely brilliant, one of my favourite players. Everything that you want from a running half- creativity, footwork & speed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=009TzYp4HDY

I think even Benji Marshall himself will tell you that his best days are behind him, but still performing to a good standard in the NRL nonetheless.

I don't think Saints should be looking at him moving forwards.

Regards,

STEVO

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

One of my favourite players to watch over the years but he’s not what we need right now. Fages is solid if unspectacular and I certainly wouldn’t see him as a weak link that needed replacing.

I think over the next 12-18 months all of our spare resources will be spent on the pack. How many of the current forwards are likely to be lining up for us in 2022 for example?

Knowles, Walmsley, Lees, Smith, Bentley....any others?

So that’s at least 2 props, 2 2nd rowers and depending on the progress of Smith and Eaves maybe a hooker too that will all need to come in over the next year or 2 unless we get a couple of the younger lads suddenly breaking through.

So sorry Benji, your pension pot will have to get topped up elsewhere pal!
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Apparently he's been playing very well over the last year or two, but as people have said, it would be a hell of a gamble in a position where we don't currently need to take gambles.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Apparently he's been playing very well over the last year or two, but as people have said, it would be a hell of a gamble in a position where we don't currently need to take gambles.
    Yep agree with this. Benji has been revamped the last couple of seasons, a classic example of a player who may not have the legs still but the brain is sharp as ever. Commentators in NRL were asking him if this was his last season but after 2 games were asking him if he would be staying on for longer.

I dont think he would be a buy for Saints, I would actually be surprised if he went to Europe at all, he does a lot of media work down here( alongside James Graham usually) and is a big role model for Maori youth in particular. A year or two away from Aus and NZ could jepodise that career path.

He is a very marketable player. Maybe Ottawa/New York are his likely destination, he could play on for a long time in League 1/Championship.

Our current squad allows us to look long term and we need to get some younger players for our pack.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    No chance, far too much of gamble, he's 35 now and would still probably want a fair wedge.
    I'll eat my words as I watching the Tigers game now and he looks pretty good still. Certainly good enough for over here.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'll eat my words as I watching the Tigers game now and he looks pretty good still. Certainly good enough for over here.
    I'm normally one who is totally against signing a player of Marshalls age.
    However with my Wigan hat on here goes.

At the end of this season we will lose O'Loughlin and Leuluai, a lot of experience, Smithies will replace Lockers and Harry Smith will replace Leuluai, both excellent young players.
    Now the problem. If Hastings goes back to Aus, and I think it will happen we don't have another youngster ready at this time. Hanley could do a job but IMO he's not ready and is primarily a fullback. To go into a season with two young inexperienced halves would be suicide.
    So with that in mind I would take Marshall on a one year deal with a second year option if Hastings goes. He was very good in todays game.

I wonder if that Williams lad from Canberra fancies a go over here, he looks o.k.
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 30th May 2020 at 16:49.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post

At the end of this season we will lose O'Loughlin and Leuluai, a lot of experience, Smithies will replace Lockers and Harry Smith will replace Leuluai, both excellent young players.
    Now the problem. If Hastings goes back to Aus, and I think it will happen we don't have another youngster ready at this time. Hanley could do a job but IMO he's not ready and is primarily a fullback. To go into a season with two young inexperienced halved would be suicide.
    So with that in mind I would take Marshall on a one year deal with a second year option if Hastings goes. He was very good in todays game.

I wonder if that Williams lad from Canberra fancies a go over here, he looks o.k.
    I couldn't give a toss to be honest Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    One of my favourite players to watch over the years but he’s not what we need right now. Fages is solid if unspectacular and I certainly wouldn’t see him as a weak link that needed replacing.

I think over the next 12-18 months all of our spare resources will be spent on the pack. How many of the current forwards are likely to be lining up for us in 2022 for example?

Knowles, Walmsley, Lees, Smith, Bentley....any others?

So that’s at least 2 props, 2 2nd rowers and depending on the progress of Smith and Eaves maybe a hooker too that will all need to come in over the next year or 2 unless we get a couple of the younger lads suddenly breaking through.

So sorry Benji, your pension pot will have to get topped up elsewhere pal!
    I'm not so sure if Fages is what we need at scrum half. From what I saw so far of us it looks like Woolf wants us to trundle it up the pitch. Be better with a 7 who can organise and has a kicking game

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Now the problem. If Hastings goes back to Aus, and I think it will happen we don't have another youngster ready at this time. Hanley could do a job but IMO he's not ready and is primarily a fullback. To go into a season with two young inexperienced halves would be suicide.

Williams would cost too much Brian, you would be better off with Jack of all Trades in way of John Wilkin who can play scrum half, stand off and loose forward.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I'm not so sure if Fages is what we need at scrum half. From what I saw so far of us it looks like Woolf wants us to trundle it up the pitch. Be better with a 7 who can organise and has a kicking game
    I was thinking about this earlier, with Roby coming to the end do we look to Fages as a hooker in tandem with Smith/Eaves. I wouldn't like to lose Fages but I think we need be looking at a bit more creativity at Scrum half, especially as you say with Woolfe's dreary tactics.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I like Fages because I think he fits in well with the rest of the back line. Lomax, Naquima, Percival, Grace etc are all brilliant runners and players who are quick and can create things if we can get the ball to them. Fages is a bit more structured but he sets the field position up for those players to attack and I like the contrast he brings, I think he makes those players look better and does the thinking for them so to speak. Thought he had a really good season last year and was particularly good in the play-off’s IMO. I thought the way he stepped up at 7 given it was his first full season in that position was impressive as was his improvement from the season before.

Watching from the side of the pitch at Old Trafford, it was noticeable how loud and how vocal he was as well which will serve him well at both 9 and 7. Didn’t stop talking all game.

Think his biggest weakness and need to work on though is his long kicking. His short kicking is fine but his clearing kicks lack a bit of height and distance at times.

I think he could play 9 quite comfortably as well to be fair. He’s not a big defender but I think the rest of his skill set is transferable between 7 and 9.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

Never mind worrying about players for next season get the rent paid and pitch in for a new carpet ready for the next wedding reception.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Never mind worrying about players for next season get the rent paid and pitch in for a new carpet ready for the next wedding reception.
    Rent, carpets, weddings, that lot calls for a spreadsheet.