Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Sky Sports Mix

Got A Season Ticket

Default Sky Sports Mix

Seems to have gone a bit under the radar but I noticed over the weekend that Super League matches are being simulcast on Sky Sports' free channel Sky Sports Mix. I've checked the schedules and by the look of it the vast majority of games being shown will be available for free (to Sky and Virgin customers) until the start of March.

Part of me wonders if this is what we've come to; being shown on a channel that regularly features Netball and Drone Racing. Will this have a negative effect on how the game is perceived? However the optimist in me thinks that showcasing the game to a new audience of more casual sports fans can only be a good thing.

I'm sure that some people will quite rightly have a moan at Sky for giving away something that they've already had to pay for but I'm hopeful the "heroin dealer" approach of giving the first hit away for free might bring some new eyes to the game who'll like what they see and stay with it.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

My brother doesnt pay for sky sports package , to expensive for him. But hes able to watch rugby league on Sky Mix.

Its on tv for 'free' thats all that matters.

Imo.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

It's not a good thing. IMO this is another example of them cheapening the product. I really think Sky are gearing up for exiting the sport.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    It's not a good thing. IMO this is another example of them cheapening the product. I really think Sky are gearing up for exiting the sport.
    Or offering a very small amount

Problem is we are not big enough for them, we had our chance with mergers and licence system, they want bigger names to well nationally, not a regional sport

Maybe the new structure, London and possibly Toronto will save us, or are there others willing to pay the same amount as sky do? Amazon, BBC, itv, bt sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Or offering a very small amount

Problem is we are not big enough for them, we had our chance with mergers and licence system, they want bigger names to well nationally, not a regional sport

Maybe the new structure, London and possibly Toronto will save us, or are there others willing to pay the same amount as sky do? Amazon, BBC, itv, bt sport?
    Can't see any of them (or Sky) offering anywhere near the amount of money we get now and thats hardly a lot in the overall scheme of things. The fact that there has been around 8 games shown so far and not one of them has been on main event says it all.

Also I don't think Cumbria, Calder or Celtic Crusaders etc. would have made the slighest bit of difference. The one merger that went ahead was a disaster and clubs went under under licensing. Dunno what the answer is but Sky are just going through the motions at the minute.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

I don't see it as a bad thing to show games early on in the season, hopefully it's designed to be a taster and will be probably be reduced as the season continues.

Does anyone know how many were shown on "mix" last year or the one before, just for comparison?

Looking through the sky live fixtures, it does seem to cease being shown on Mix part way into the season. I don’t think it’s in their interests to devalue their own asset as, if they have no intention of renewing their deal, they will want other potential broadcasters having to dig deeper into their own pockets for it. My own thought is that they will bid again for it as they have schedules to fill and they’ve lost a significant amount of football as well as club RU. I can only imagine their subscriptions are down from what they were say 5 years ago as a result of this and the emergence of many other competitors and will want to cling to the RL audience to prevent further dwindling their customer base

Starting A Programme Collection

I'm sure I have read it is only for February.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

There's more games on sky now than I can ever remember. Past 2 weeks had games Thurs Fri Sat Sun. NRL hasn't started yet. Hope that schedule stays for the season plus the Aussie games.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by h-bomb View Post
    but I'm hopeful the "heroin dealer" approach of giving the first hit away for free might bring some new eyes to the game who'll like what they see and stay with it.
    Love the phrasing

And I agree with the sentiment that you and others have made, that it's hopefully a taster to attract both fans and casual viewers to tune in when it stops being 'free'.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Can't see any of them (or Sky) offering anywhere near the amount of money we get now and thats hardly a lot in the overall scheme of things. The fact that there has been around 8 games shown so far and not one of them has been on main event says it all.

Also I don't think Cumbria, Calder or Celtic Crusaders etc. would have made the slighest bit of difference. The one merger that went ahead was a disaster and clubs went under under licensing. Dunno what the answer is but Sky are just going through the motions at the minute.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I don't remember any of them on main event, at least not in recent years.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    I'm sure I have read it is only for February.
    It's definitely only temporary

Starting A Programme Collection HoofeHearted's Avatar

According to https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com/superleague
    The last match on Mix is Catalan v Wire on 2nd March.
    Phil Vievers...Balls...Joan Collins...Try...Orgasmic... RH the living legend.

Banned

Last Sundays game was down for being on Sky Sports Mix was basketball on when I switched on

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

What Sky channel is Sports Mix on.

I know it on line but when I googled it for the channel number it says 407 but on my box 407 is Arena ???

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    What Sky channel is Sports Mix on.

I know it on line but when I googled it for the channel number it says 407 but on my box 407 is Arena ???
    121. It's in with the general entertainment channels not the sports ones as it's being promoted as the sports channel for general subscribers without the sports sub.

It’s bizarre to watch Sky these days. I’ve got the full sports access and sometimes the same content is on four channels at the same time