Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1929353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Stadium Watch 8

From a layman's point of view:

The 100 year old oak tree that has just blown down is an "act of god".

The brand new stadium that has just blown down, has got something seriously wrong with it and someone somewhere is to blame.

Learning All The Songs

If God is attacking our new stadium then we're already in trouble and the season hasn't started yet.

Was the roofer a Pie Eater? Then it's an act of the devil. Is that covered?

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post

The brand new stadium that has just blown down, has got something seriously wrong with it and someone somewhere is to blame.
    Hahaha............ Yeah thats a great comparison!! :-)

It's only 'honest' (what used to be know as 'fair') comment if:

- it's judged to be a statement of opinion, and that statement contains a substratum of fact

- its on a subject of public interest - whether it is of 'public interest' is for the judge to decide

- and if so 'any fair man, however prejudiced, however exaggerated or obstinate his views might be' would also have said it.

Like this would go that far anyway...

Anyway...

I think it is agreed that something has gone terribly wrong here. Whether that be down to the material or the design...etc, it's all speculation until a full audit of the damage has been conducted.

The fact that there is no similar damage in the area surrounding LP makes me worry too...

Interesting comparison made on RLFans..

Reading this Guardian article it shows a picture of the damage at Epsom downs.

Interesting to note that the roof material looks the same as that used on Saints ground eg lightweight aluminium

http://m.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jan/ ... pe=article

Better pics from the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing ... -roof.html

Starting A Programme Collection

As the stadium structure (not the internal fit out) is now within the Defects Liability Period, the contractor will make a full investigation into the reasons for the cladding detaching. This will most certainly point to the number of fixings which, under standard conditions would prove satisfactory, but under conditions that occur, say one in every 80 years, then there will be an increased number of fixings for the replacement cladding required. this will fall to the cladding contractor to rectify.

Noooobie

I can't believe the amount of total tripe being spouted on this forum.We had hurricane force winds, which surprisingly enough tend to do structural damage.Whether the stadium was 1 or 100 years old , if the wind whips up enough then this can happen.Yes maybe it shouldnt have happened and the design should have accommodated hurricane force winds. But s**t happens.The roof will be fixed, the ground and shop will be opened and we will all need something else to bitch about. So can the hysterical drama queens among us please pipe down and stop giving the pies and the dire something to buzz off.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou_2006 View Post
    We had hurricane force winds
    Force 12 or above?

I must have missed them, along with the rest of St Helens.

Don't criticise people as spouting tripe then do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    This will most certainly point to the number of fixings which, under standard conditions would prove satisfactory, but under conditions that occur, say one in every 80 years, then there will be an increased number of fixings for the replacement cladding required.
    In that case, which daft bugger decided that the wind never blows round here except once every 80 years?

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

In that case, which daft bugger decided that the wind never blows round here except once every 80 years?
    i found that a bit odd considering the roof has been damaged twice in what a month or two

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    It's only 'honest' (what used to be know as 'fair') comment if:

- it's judged to be a statement of opinion, and that statement contains a substratum of fact

- its on a subject of public interest - whether it is of 'public interest' is for the judge to decide

- and if so 'any fair man, however prejudiced, however exaggerated or obstinate his views might be' would also have said it.

Like this would go that far anyway...

Anyway...

I think it is agreed that something has gone terribly wrong here. Whether that be down to the material or the design...etc, it's all speculation until a full audit of the damage has been conducted.

The fact that there is no similar damage in the area surrounding LP makes me worry too...
    That may be because the structure is more exposed than nearby buildings. Plus older buildings and propertys may have had a series of safety checks done over the years to reinforce them.Of course,nothing came down from the gas tower but that seems to be one confined structure with few or no 'attachments' and similarly has had checks, rechecks.

In The West Stand

Given that some believe that god made everything it could have been shoddy workmanship on the part of god when constructing the trees.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    until a full audit of the damage has been conducted.
    and after they have finished ticking boxes for the sake of ticking boxes we can get some engineers in to find out what is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyl View Post
    Given that some believe that god made everything it could have been shoddy workmanship on the part of god when constructing the trees.
    So it was a scheduled removal of old and defective stock?

Learning All The Songs

Force 12 or above?

I must have missed them, along with the rest of St Helens.

Don't criticise people as spouting tripe then do it yourself.
    Crosby recorded a wind speed of 70mph yesterday and according to the Beauford Wind Scale Huricane winds are above 64 knots or 73 mph, so while technically you are correct you are also (like me) pedantic. Anyway there is a very high probablity that gusts could have exceeded 64 knots

Starting A Programme Collection Samba's Avatar

You agree that 'someone' is at fault (but it's not God), so surely that would be the construction team...wouldn't it? In that case, why have you banned someone for saying as much but actually mentioning the company name? He/she was in no way rude, offensive etc, but you seem to have taken a 'high ground' attitude to a few statements here. Just my opinion....allegedly.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou_2006 View Post
    I can't believe the amount of total tripe being spouted on this forum.We had hurricane force winds, which surprisingly enough tend to do structural damage.Whether the stadium was 1 or 100 years old , if the wind whips up enough then this can happen.Yes maybe it shouldnt have happened and the design should have accommodated hurricane force winds. But s**t happens.The roof will be fixed, the ground and shop will be opened and we will all need something else to bitch about. So can the hysterical drama queens among us please pipe down and stop giving the pies and the dire something to buzz off.
    its ironic that you accuse others of spouting tripe. You will find from a HSE / legal perspective that "$h1t" doesnt just happen, that most of these things are managable unless you live in tornado alley and that there are accountabilities and responsibilities with certain people to prevent this from happening.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyl View Post
    its ironic that you accuse others of spouting tripe. You will find from a HSE / legal perspective that "$h1t" doesnt just happen, that most of these things are managable unless you live in tornado alley and that there are accountabilities and responsibilities with certain people to prevent this from happening.
    You can't half tell this site is sponsered by Hattons Solicitors

In The West Stand Talk some sense!'s Avatar

Well this thread seems to have gone in a direction it didn't really need to!

The wind has blown the roof off, Barr need to fix it - thats it really isn't it?

In The South Stand

lets get it sorted, would hate a big game looming and a couple of days before we get high winds.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post

The wind has blown the roof off, Barr need to fix it - thats it really isn't it?
    Its gone with the wind...............!!!

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Talk some sense! View Post

So thats where you got your username from!
    Well said

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave01 View Post
    Also as a saints fan, i would just like to see the issue corrected so we can look forward to settling into LP Stadium and the season ahead!!
    I'm with you there!

I was just pointing out that there may be no one to blame here.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I'm with you there!

I was just pointing out that there may be no one to blame here.
    I second that.
    With working in construction myself, there is always someone at fault, even if no one is involved haha.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

How about some nice pics of men fixing things to settle us down a bit?