Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 Man Squad v Leeds

Learning All The Songs

Strange team this year Leeds. On paper they should be up there as title contenders but they have too many players not really playing to their full potential. For me there are only 3 players on that teamsheet that could win them the game, Walker has the pace to finish any breaks they make (though he is still very prone to errors), Watkins is still class despite not yet being back to his best and Parcell can cause havoc at dummy half if we're not switched on at our marker defence.
    Other than those 3 there isn't anything in that team that should cause us to much of a headache as long as we do the basics well (respect possession, muscle up in defence and keep composed). If we keep inviting them into our half though with penalties & errors they could make a real game of it and turn us over as Salford found out last week.
    Warrington showed exactly how to beat Leeds, hit them hard up the middle and keep them moving round the field. Flat track bullies like Ward, Singleton, Hurrell & Ferres soon lose their composure when the opposition front up.

Tough game is this for Saints, as has been mentioned by others, I cannot see much change in the team. Hope Coote can get those kicks into their in-goal area like he was able to do in the NRL.

Unfortunately I'm at a do in Yorkshire on Friday night, so it should be good watching this in the bar with that lot

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    Hicks is the ref (again)
    Jeez not him , as useful as "chocolate firegaurd" , hope the players have all got thier birth certificates , passports, driving licences , ect , watch me not the game t0$$€r .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Warrington showed exactly how to beat Leeds, hit them hard up the middle and keep them moving round the field. Flat track bullies like Ward, Singleton, Hurrell & Ferres soon lose their composure when the opposition front up.
    Surely this the way to beat any team Toppy ? But it is easier said than done if the guy opposite does not want to be dominated and you are not on your game.

Got A Replica Shirt Southern Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Jeez not him , as useful as "chocolate firegaurd" , hope the players have all got thier birth certificates , passports, driving licences , ect , watch me not the game t0$$€r .
    I disagree. At the moment he is the best British ref out there.
    I stopped smoking and my brother called me a quitter

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Saint View Post
    Unfortunately the flow of a game firmly depends what mood he is in. Some days he seems to turn up and want rugby to be played. Others he seems to pick holes in all he can and a game of rugby struggles to break out between his blasts of the whistle

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Saint View Post
    It's all about him , the guys a joke , he loves the limelight , and let's not forget the forward pass , infact I think I'm sat in front of you in the south stand , are you in row J silver ?? , if so excuse my criticism of him tonight as it will certainly happen . I'll have some hot bovril , you'll need a cup - lol.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

It's all about him , the guys a joke , he loves the limelight , and let's not forget the forward pass , infact I think I'm sat in front of you in the south stand , are you in row J silver ?? , if so excuse my criticism of him tonight as it will certainly happen . I'll have some hot bovril , you'll need a cup - lol.
    You can give him a bit of abuse from me Roy. The guy comes across as so arrogant. I hope he does Ref it properly and keep the game flowing, rather than it being the Robert Hicks show.

Learning All The Songs

I don’t understand why the standard of refereeing is so low at the moment. We used to have some good refs. I can’t think of any good ones just now

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    It is perceived that way because everything they do now is replayed over and over, if not in a live TV game then on highlights shows, RL websites and club websites. Before Super League as a spectator you got one look. If a referee made a mistake you may not even have noticed whereas now it is highlighted to death. For what it is worth I think Robert Hicks is the best referee we have right now. He's the only one I have seen willing to stand up to Wigan's dark arts tactics. They got nilled by Warrington in the cup last year precisely because Hicks wouldn't stand for it.

People get far too bogged down with who the referee is. Every week when the appointments are announced there is always someone on social media pronouncing that we have already lost because (enter name here) is the referee. And then we go and win usually. If we lose it won't be the referee's fault, and if we win it won't be to his credit.
    Fair point. I wonder if we’ve gone too far with video refereeing as well. Eddie Hemings desire to create controversy where there isn’t any doesn’t help either

I don't have a problem with the refs themselves, I just have an issue with the way that the TV games are managed for a TV audience. The refs and the technology are used at the right times to keep teams in the contest and to keep people tuned in. As a TV company why would you not want that? More close games = more viewers. How do you get more close games? Use a video review process that gives the benefit of the doubt to the team that is most likely to lose

They even tried to legitimise their process and called it "Phil Clarke's Margin Meter" at one point but it was swiftly binned as it made it a bit too obvious

Learning All The Songs

I'd get rid of video refereeing tomorrow. How I miss the golden age of being able to celebrate a try in a TV game with anything like spontaneity. When we score tonight the first thing I will do is turn to look at the screen....
    Same here. It would improve the game if we have the refs a lot more discretion. The inevitable errors would even out. I would also stop players talking to the refs

Upside
    Non Members

It is perceived that way because everything they do now is replayed over and over, if not in a live TV game then on highlights shows, RL websites and club websites. Before Super League as a spectator you got one look. If a referee made a mistake you may not even have noticed whereas now it is highlighted to death. For what it is worth I think Robert Hicks is the best referee we have right now. He's the only one I have seen willing to stand up to Wigan's dark arts tactics. They got nilled by Warrington in the cup last year precisely because Hicks wouldn't stand for it.

People get far too bogged down with who the referee is. Every week when the appointments are announced there is always someone on social media pronouncing that we have already lost because (enter name here) is the referee. And then we go and win usually. If we lose it won't be the referee's fault, and if we win it won't be to his credit.
    Great post, no ref no game

Translations

Keep the game flowing - ignore penalties
    Stop their foul play - don't ignore Penalties
    Refs a joke - we lost
    Doesn't have the balls - ignored penalties
    Wants the limelight - didn't ignore penalties
    He gave them everything - my team gave away more penalties than the other team
    That was an appalling decision - He made an error which I've spotted on slow mo after watching 8 times
    He should be accountable - I want him publically humiliated as my team lost
    I shout abuse at him - I consider refs sub human and the social rules of respect don't apply to them
    I despise the ref - he wears a different shirt than everyone else and therefore all my anger is justified
    They are not as good as they used to be - said every year for the past ten decades

What's worse is the amatuer game, normally sane peop,e just seem it perfectly ok to hurl abuse at s young man or woman because the normal,rules don't apply, they encourage players and abuse ref.
    Why is it socially acceptable to be abusive towards a ref?

And we wonder why we cannot get more refs in the game
    Last edited by Upside; 22nd February 2019 at 15:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Too early for changes, but why we all had to have a week off after 2 games because Wigan are playing is beyond me. They Knew it was Wigan in the WCC before any fixtures were announced so surely it could have been better catered for. I know that scenario would inconvenience one team by giving them a short turn around. Makes a real stop start of the season and makes me wonder if the WCC is worth it.
    WCC should be used as a curtain-raiser before the start of the season.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

It used to be

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Sky are providing a real treat for viewers tonight yet ANOTHER bloody Wiganer RATBOY the Barmaids favourite giving his worthless view. Can Sky not show a Sport without the perceived view of idiots "favourite" team players as pundits. Rugby League = Wigan Football = Liverpool if you hate Wigan and Liverpool Sky are the broadcasters from Hell closely followed by BT.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    I don't have a problem with the refs themselves, I just have an issue with the way that the TV games are managed for a TV audience. The refs and the technology are used at the right times to keep teams in the contest and to keep people tuned in. As a TV company why would you not want that? More close games = more viewers. How do you get more close games? Use a video review process that gives the benefit of the doubt to the team that is most likely to lose

They even tried to legitimise their process and called it "Phil Clarke's Margin Meter" at one point but it was swiftly binned as it made it a bit too obvious
    Absolutely right. No paranoia or tinfoil hats here, Sky fix the games to keep them close.

You can see it at work when we pulverized Salford 60-10 and Huddersfield 66-4 last year, smashed Hull at Magic in 2017 and completely ruined Cas in the first game last season and 26-0 in the super 8’s, and Wakefield bumming Wigan and racking up 70 odd points. All televised games artificially adjusted to keep it close.

Wait, hang on.......?

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post

Want to buy some snake oil?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Great post, no ref no game

Translations

Keep the game flowing - ignore penalties
    Ref was a joke - we lost
    Wants the limelight - didn't ignore penalties
    He gave them everything - my team gave away more penalties than the other team
    He made an error - he is human
    He should be accountable - I want him publically humiliated as my team lost
    I shout abuse at him - I consider refs sub human and the social rules of respect don't apply to them
    I despise the ref - he wears a different shirt than everyone else and therefore all my anger is justified
    They are not as good as they used to be - said every year for the past ten decades

What's worse is the amatuer game, normally sane peop,e just seem it perfectly ok to hurl abuse at s young man or woman because the normal,rules don't apply, they encourage players and abuse ref.
    Why is it socially acceptable to be abusive towards a ref?

And we wonder why we cannot get more refs in the game

In seacula saeculorum

Enjoyed the game last night Chris Kendal had a blinder , a couple tried to con him but the guy sussed them out . Loved it when he put ratboy on report AND look what the sky muppets slapped on first at half time = yes ratboy being badly done to , not TJs great try or even Danny Broughs superb kicking game , not my favourite player but he had a belter.
    Last edited by roy litherland; 22nd February 2019 at 17:03.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    It used to be
    Yes, but the powers that be keep moving the SL start date earlier & earlier. On the plus side, it won't be too long before we have Boxing Day games back.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Enjoyed the game last night Chris Kendal had a blinder , a couple tried to con him but the guy sussed them out . Loved it when he put ratboy on report AND look what the sky muppets slapped on first at half time = yes ratboy being badly done to , not TJs great try or even Danny Broughs superb kicking game , not my favourite player but he had a belter.
    He was OK last night Kendall got conned once or twice, but he is human.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Yes, but the powers that be keep moving the SL start date earlier & earlier. On the plus side, it won't be too long before we have Boxing Day games back.
    We stat at least 3 weeks to early

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It would work though, if we had WCC end of Jan/1st week Feb then SL starts the week after. Imagine if it was pushed and marketed, free to air and get people interested.... neutrals and non-fans!! What a crazy idea, eh?!!

Learning All The Songs

It would work though, if we had WCC end of Jan/1st week Feb then SL starts the week after. Imagine if it was pushed and marketed, free to air and get people interested.... neutrals and non-fans!! What a crazy idea, eh?!!
    Imagine if after the WCC the SL clubs entered a cup competition were the final was played in May, where the free to air viewers could watch before the season started.......... do you remember them not so distant memories.