Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stronger next year

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Just changing the subject slightly, are we back to scrums next year, cannot recall seeing any news over that or I must have missed it, the delay in the messing around forming the scrum not being there certainly quickened the game up this year
    I think I would like to see scrums back with less seconds on the clock, for me their has been a gradual creep of delaying the game anyway under the new rule, the ref asks the team where they want to play the ball, players have a discussion about it and slowly walk to the new PTB position. By that time the opposition have set up a 13 man defence and have had at least a 20 sec rest, also some players see the opportunity to have a lay down to claim injury.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I posted on the Leeds board as they said we had been lucky on injuries for 3 years. When comparing 1-13 (extending that to 17 is hard because you get into a discussion about players missing games due to not being selected rather than injured) Saints 1-13 played 67% of the game time, Leeds 1-13* played 61% - there really wasn't a huge difference, about 20 games, or one more serious injury. Leeds fans have really been blowing their own trumpet (a better pack than ours continues to be brought up on their forum) but I just am not convinced. They are still looking for a prop and a winger apparently, which might change things, but its also entirely possible that Hetherington is making stuff up to keep the fans off his back.

*the 1-13 for Leeds was adapted slightly to sub in Myler for Walker as Walker didnt play a single game this year (thus wont have been on the cap) so its impossible for me to tell if he would have played.
    We have had lengthy injury spells for Coote, Makinson, Percival, Lomax, Fages, Lees, Knowles, Bentley, Thompson and Mata’utia plus squad players like Wingfield and Foster. Add in to that the niggly injuries that have kept players out for a week or two and we’re not much different to the rest. The difference is the quality we’ve had to replace key players, particularly Welsby, Dodd and Batchelor stepping up.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I posted on the Leeds board as they said we had been lucky on injuries for 3 years. When comparing 1-13 (extending that to 17 is hard because you get into a discussion about players missing games due to not being selected rather than injured) Saints 1-13 played 67% of the game time, Leeds 1-13* played 61% - there really wasn't a huge difference, about 20 games, or one more serious injury. Leeds fans have really been blowing their own trumpet (a better pack than ours continues to be brought up on their forum) but I just am not convinced. They are still looking for a prop and a winger apparently, which might change things, but its also entirely possible that Hetherington is making stuff up to keep the fans off his back.

*the 1-13 for Leeds was adapted slightly to sub in Myler for Walker as Walker didnt play a single game this year (thus wont have been on the cap) so its impossible for me to tell if he would have played.
    When I see the Leeds team, they seem to have round pegs in square holes at times. They will have a promising half back partnership, the Briscoe brothers don't look good enough don't know how many times Handley has played in his better position on the wing. Like you say another winger and prop will give them a better quality team.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think I would like to see scrums back with less seconds on the clock, for me their has been a gradual creep of delaying the game anyway under the new rule, the ref asks the team where they want to play the ball, players have a discussion about it and slowly walk to the new PTB position. By that time the opposition have set up a 13 man defence and have had at least a 20 sec rest, also some players see the opportunity to have a lay down to claim injury.
    The first couple of games without scrums were great to watch, but as you say the time wasting to set the defences as become a farce. I would be happy to see scrums back.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I also want to see scrums back,like you say it will take away some rest time and it will also add an extra element of fatigue when the big players have to get back into the defensive line