Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 ins and out ....

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I agree with what you're saying here, though the trouble is who's available? I think the biggest reason Gold Coast were said to have inquired about Daryl Clark earlier in the year, was because of a shortage of hookers over there.

It wouldn't surprise me if Saints look at Havili or Katoa. Both off contract and KW has picked both for Tonga. Saints were linked to Katoa earlier in the year weren't they? I've seen more of Havili and think he's the better of the two from what I've seen. This said, I'm not sure either are especially dynamic. It's a difficult situation for the club to manage at hooker, especially with the other changes you speak about.
    Neither Havili or Katoa are particularly good hookers and no better than the youngsters we already have who'd come at a fraction of the price.
    If we're signing a hooker then sign a good quality one, not these bog stands ones from the NRL.

Banned

Seen that mau has been offered to other SL clubs from hull

Tongan second row/prop. Never rated him in the nrl and thought hes been poor for hull fc bit woolf could fet the best out of him

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itswide2west View Post
    Seen that mau has been offered to other SL clubs from hull

Tongan second row/prop. Never rated him in the nrl and thought hes been poor for hull fc bit woolf could fet the best out of him
    Considering the rap he came over with I’ve not seen him do anything of note.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I wouldn’t pay stupid money for Peachey but he could be a revelation in super league where the game is less of a grind. If we signed him he would be best played in some sort of role like Jason Hooper played. In 2004 Hooper was our official stand off but that wasn’t really his game. Long and Sculthorpe were our link players. Hooper was given a free roam around the pitch to defend, score tries, charge down kicks etc. I reckon Peachey would play that role very well. He isn’t the best in any one position but he is skillful, strong, fast and elusive. Ive seen him score plenty long range tries with pace, short range tries with strength. I think he’s well suited to super league. Obviously if his attitudes right which isn’t always a given with NRL players.
    He seems to be at his best in a ball playing loose forward role which Australia has suddenly realised is an important role in the game.
    But he seems very inconsistent,He was brilliant when the titans nearly came back to beat the Roosters a few weeks ago but then has hardly played since.

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I still think Smith deserves an extended chance at 9 to see if he can be Roby's successor.

I'd rather do that than buy a second-rate hooker from the NRL that probably wouldn't be an improvement but would cost 4/5-times as much in salary.

If others would prefer Eaves, then let's go with that instead.

I just think in the first instance we should give one of them a season (in tandem with a carefully-managed Roby) before panic-buying when there's no quality out there and available.
    I'm with you, both have done well in the academy so must have some skills. Other than getting his head in the wrong place a couple of times Smith doesn't seem phased by the physicality of SL. I would give one of those a go.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    He seems to be at his best in a ball playing loose forward role which Australia has suddenly realised is an important role in the game.
    But he seems very inconsistent,He was brilliant when the titans nearly came back to beat the Roosters a few weeks ago but then has hardly played since.

Yeh i agree Buddy. Consistency does seem to be an issue. He was highly rated when he first broke into the Panthers first team a few years back.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Maybe the club will try and get another season or two out of Roby whilst looking to bring Taylor Pemberton through?

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Neither Havili or Katoa are particularly good hookers and no better than the youngsters we already have who'd come at a fraction of the price.
    If we're signing a hooker then sign a good quality one, not these bog stands ones from the NRL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    I've speculated Saints could have ~£500K on the cap and the option to use the marquee player rule dispensation... Do you think the club would pay a transfer fee?

I don't think the club could persuade Koroisau to come over here Saint Toppy Tom Starling would be a great interchange hooker, but I don't think he's leaving Canberra either.

I think the top hookers in SL are (in no particular order) Clark, Parcell, McShane, Dwyer, Kruise Leeming- I think Leeds paid Huddersfield a fee for him? Danny Walker

There's a rumour that Liam Hood is going to Wakefield for next year.

Not too many to pick from.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I've speculated Saints could have ~£500K on the cap and the option to use the marquee player rule dispensation... Do you think the club would pay a transfer fee?

I don't think the club could persuade Koroisau to come over here Saint Toppy Tom Starling would be a great interchange hooker, but I don't think he's leaving Canberra either.

I think the top hookers in SL are (in no particular order) Clark, Parcell, McShane, Dwyer, Kruise Leeming- I think Leeds paid Huddersfield a fee for him? Danny Walker

There's a rumour that Liam Hood is going to Wakefield for next year.

Not too many to pick from.
    Some of those hookers are off contract at the end of 2022 though when I think we’re more likely to sign one. Can’t see us signing any more than 3 players this year, a centre/full back, a back rower and possibility a utility back/half.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Seems Will Hopate rumours are gaining some more legs. Below just one of quite a few Aussie sources saying similar.

https://www.zerotackle.com/bulldogs-...ve-nrl-106979/
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand

Quite a few of the players and staff interviewed on the field after the game mentioned that they wanted to get the win for the players leaving and for those retiring. A couple of people like Tommy and LMS seemed to mention it, then backtrack on it so not to give anything away.

Thompson is the only one I'm aware of. Roby, LMS and Amor are all out of contract aren't they? LMS played like an 18 year old yesterday, I hope he's staying. Amor has been very solid all season too, I'd keep him as well.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Quite a few of the players and staff interviewed on the field after the game mentioned that they wanted to get the win for the players leaving and for those retiring. A couple of people like Tommy and LMS seemed to mention it, then backtrack on it so not to give anything away.

Thompson is the only one I'm aware of. Roby, LMS and Amor are all out of contract aren't they? LMS played like an 18 year old yesterday, I hope he's staying. Amor has been very solid all season too, I'd keep him as well.
    Its probably reference to Coote, Naiqama, Bentley and Thompson with Roby still deciding to play on.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its probably reference to Coote, Naiqama, Bentley and Thompson with Roby still deciding to play on.
    Yeah could just mean Naiqama and Thompson I guess, I forgot about Kev. LMS definitely said something along the lines of 'the ones that are leaving and the ones that are retiring'.

Whilst I love Roby, he kind of needs to be given a deadline doesn't he? He seems to be doing a Wellens and waiting until the season is over before making his mind up. That's a lot of salary cap to be mulling over their future if LMS, Amor and Roby are still making their minds up?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Yeah could just mean Naiqama and Thompson I guess, I forgot about Kev. LMS definitely said something along the lines of 'the ones that are leaving and the ones that are retiring'.

Whilst I love Roby, he kind of needs to be given a deadline doesn't he? He seems to be doing a Wellens and waiting until the season is over before making his mind up. That's a lot of salary cap to be mulling over their future if LMS, Amor and Roby are still making their minds up?
    One more season for Roby and retire like a king!!

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgowsaint View Post
    One more season for Roby and retire like a king!!

And pass the torch to Pemberton if the rumours are true

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    And pass the torch to Pemberton if the rumours are true
    Your name's not Craig by chance is it? You certainly like championing young Tyler

Learning All The Songs

I often wonder if the vacant assistant coaching position has been left open for Roby retiring.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I often wonder if the vacant assistant coaching position has been left open for Roby retiring.
    I thought Roby has no intention of staying involved in the sport after playing.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I thought Roby has no intention of staying involved in the sport after playing.
    According to the podcast he was on , he certainly intends to completely break away from the sport when he retires from playing.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    According to the podcast he was on , he certainly intends to completely break away from the sport when he retires from playing.
    Is his decision but it would be a loss to the game. I am sure he would have plenty to offer in a coaching capacity.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

I’ve watch Leon’s lad Will over the last few weeks, watched how he takes the line on and has great feet etc. Without just comparing him he does have lots of similarities to his old man. For me, I think Eamonn should be taking a look. He looks a genuine prospect.

Noooobie

Other possibilities for next season:
    Knowles to 9 (mentioned this before and got no takers!) Strong, great physicality in defence, good decision maker. Would have great impact running from the play-the-ball. Cunningham Mark 2. Also, long-term solution barring moving to the NRL.
    Roby to 13. Experienced link between backs and forwards, unlimited tackling duties so these won't be lost to the team. Easier to spell him at 13 which he will need (develop Wingfield who shows really good potential) than at 9. Smith/Eaves may make a career in RL but not at a top Club like Saints.
    Go with Bachelor in the second row. He won't be a great player but will give consistency and commitment. He has improved greatly and this will continue as he WANTS to get better. He does need a coach to help him to acquire the extra offensive skills he needs (Wolfe?).
    Retain one of LMS/Amor (I would go LMS) and the props are sorted - Walmsley, Lees, Paasi, LMS and possibly Norman as fifth prop.
    Dodd is obviously being groomed for a half-back role. If Fages is out for a few weeks, we will probably know a lot more as to whether he can do it.
    Need to recruit at least 2 players - a Centre/Full Back, depending on where Welsby plays. Also need a Second rower.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Forber View Post
    Other possibilities for next season:
    Knowles to 9 (mentioned this before and got no takers!) Strong, great physicality in defence, good decision maker. Would have great impact running from the play-the-ball. Cunningham Mark 2. Also, long-term solution barring moving to the NRL.
    Roby to 13. Experienced link between backs and forwards, unlimited tackling duties so these won't be lost to the team. Easier to spell him at 13 which he will need (develop Wingfield who shows really good potential) than at 9. Smith/Eaves may make a career in RL but not at a top Club like Saints.
    Go with Bachelor in the second row. He won't be a great player but will give consistency and commitment. He has improved greatly and this will continue as he WANTS to get better. He does need a coach to help him to acquire the extra offensive skills he needs (Wolfe?).
    Retain one of LMS/Amor (I would go LMS) and the props are sorted - Walmsley, Lees, Paasi, LMS and possibly Norman as fifth prop.
    Dodd is obviously being groomed for a half-back role. If Fages is out for a few weeks, we will probably know a lot more as to whether he can do it.
    Need to recruit at least 2 players - a Centre/Full Back, depending on where Welsby plays. Also need a Second rower.
    I would imagine if Knowles moves it will be to prop after he impressed for England. I can't see him moving to 9

Banned

When Knowles has played 9 his distribution from DH hasn't been snappy enough.

I get the concerns regarding Smith's defence, but his distribution off the floor at DH is rapid and he's a busy player round the ruck. When he's come on for Roby in games, you notice an improvement in the speed of passing. I think by ignoring him as an option (because he's a couple steps down from 'peak Roby') runs the risk of going for another option that wouldn't be any improvement over Smith.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Knowles is the perfect modern day loose. He brings tenacity and line speed in attack and defence. He doesn’t take a backwards step, will take the hard carries when we’re under pressure and leads from the middle.

I suppose the last few posts about moving position is because he is that committed, strong and able that he could play in most positions and still be very effective. Loose however is his best position for me and for what he brings to the team and I feel it would be really daft to move him.

John Kear said on the BBC if he could name a team of players he’d name 17 Morgan Knowles’.