Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NRL 2021 season

Wow, big upset this morning!
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by JBT View Post
    Wow, big upset this morning!
    I'm not that sure why you consider it as even an upset, let alone a big one. Parra finished 3rd last season, are definite Top 4 candidates again, they've only lost 2 home games in over a year since they moved to BankWest, and Melbourne lost there last year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I'm not that sure why you consider it as even an upset, let alone a big one. Parra finished 3rd last season, are definite Top 4 candidates again, they've only lost 2 home games in over a year since they moved to BankWest, and Melbourne lost there last year as well.
    Because the defending premiers and favourites for this season have been beaten and were probably favourites to win this game too?
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Learning All The Songs

Good win today for JH's Titans over Brisbane

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    From the highlights ive seen, the team played in a very similar fashion to '19 Saints

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    What a player David Fifita is. Great signing could build a pack around him.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    From the highlights ive seen, the team played in a very similar fashion to '19 Saints
    I watched it, Gold Coast were good, Brisbane were terrible first half and arent very good anyway, theyve lost 13 in a row.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    What a player David Fifita is. Great signing could build a pack around him.
    The aussies are murder for over hyping young players. Clubs pay out huge contracts for lads who turn out not to be worth it. Fifita looked handy today but its one game, against last years wooden spooners. When Gold Coast come up against Roosters or Melbourne ive got a feeling Fifita will disappear like Jo Swansons credibility.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Some good games this weekend, even in the wet.

Really big games to look forward to for next week- Panthers Vs Storm on Thursday & Souths Vs Roosters on Friday. Both on Sky.

Regards,

STEVO

Banned

Jarryd Hayne convicted of sexual assault; judge says prison sentence is 'inevitable'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56480224

Wasn't the poster masquerading as Stevo advocating we sign Hayne as a replacement for Barba? Frying pan... fire

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Jarryd Hayne convicted of sexual assault; judge says prison sentence is 'inevitable'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56480224

Wasn't the poster masquerading as Stevo advocating we sign Hayne as a replacement for Barba? Frying pan... fire
    Yeah I did, Hayne was one of the best full backs of his generation and was available. I felt he could've done similar to what Barba did and take SL by storm. This was before any of these stories came to light of course.

Regards,

STEVO

Hardly fair that mate.

Banned

Hardly fair that mate.
    It was more a 'if we'd have signed Hayne as a replacement for Barba, we'd have been knackered' observation.

Learning All The Songs

It was more a 'if we'd have signed Hayne as a replacement for Barba, we'd have been knackered' observation.
    To be fair, i thought you were on about Haynes prior legal issue along the lines of what he has been convicted of, this case isnt the first time its been alleged against him.

Learning All The Songs

Thats some finish to the Penrith v Melbourne game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Just seen the highlights you're spot oj

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    What a great game. Recoded it and just finished watching it. Those two will be right up there again this year I think. Kikau was fortunate to just get back across in the nick of time to join the tackle and get his arm under the ball. If he hadnt spent 10 seconds lying on the floor play acting he would have been able to join the tackle and Melbourne wouldn't have got over the line.

Nice to see Ashley Klein is still making a name for himself! Surely that came of the Penrith player and should've been offside? Craig Bellamy was restrained as ever

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum Down View Post
    What a great game. Recoded it and just finished watching it. Those two will be right up there again this year I think. Kikau was fortunate to just get back across in the nick of time to join the tackle and get his arm under the ball. If he hadnt spent 10 seconds lying on the floor play acting he would have been able to join the tackle and Melbourne wouldn't have got over the line.

Nice to see Ashley Klein is still making a name for himself! Surely that came of the Penrith player and should've been offside? Craig Bellamy was restrained as ever
    In theory the non call gave them the chance to win the game, which they should have done with players out left and Penrith scrambling across. The kick would have been a tough one just to level it so I suppose it worked for them at the time and when they threw it out left they'd have thanking Klein for not giving the pen 30 seconds earlier.

But it was a fantastic game for so early in the season, and much like for Parra the week before I think it was a bigger game for Penrith to try to lay down a marker and beat Melbourne at home early. Melbourne will be fine, will finish Top 4 and nobody will want to play them in the Finals.

I was listening to Gus Gould talking about how there are two leagues in the NRL now, and he said that the games between the bottom sides (St George, Wests, NQ, Canterbury etc) are fun to watch but they aren't NRL games in terms of top quality. A divide has opened up between Penrith, Melbourne, Souths, Roosters, Canberra and Parra and the sides in the bottom 6, and it's interesting that in a cash-rich league like the NRL there are now sides that know before a ball is kicked that they have no chance of making the 8. Personally I don't see the problem, and I hope the Aussies don't either. Over here we'd be changing the structure and the system to give the poorer sides artificial chances to close the gap, but I hope that those NRL clubs are simply told to recruit better, pick better coaches and improve themselves, because their failures are self-inflicted really.

If some games every weekend aren't great quality it doesn't matter, because Penrith v Melbourne was top top quality and that is what sells the game. We should take note, some clubs just do their business better and should reap the rewards.

Banned

Are we allowed to comment on today's games yet?

Quite enjoyed the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Are we allowed to comment on today's games yet?

Quite enjoyed the second one.
    The whole point of this thread is that people know where to avoid such chat mate. Nothing should be off limits in here because everyone should know if they want to avoid NRL spoilers they should just avoid this thread until they're caught up. That way, everyone can hopefully come on here and know NRL chat isn't in other threads because it should all be in here. So, go for it.

Banned

I love seeing the Roosters getting beat. Absolutely love it.

Got A Season Ticket

In theory the non call gave them the chance to win the game, which they should have done with players out left and Penrith scrambling across. The kick would have been a tough one just to level it so I suppose it worked for them at the time and when they threw it out left they'd have thanking Klein for not giving the pen 30 seconds earlier.

But it was a fantastic game for so early in the season, and much like for Parra the week before I think it was a bigger game for Penrith to try to lay down a marker and beat Melbourne at home early. Melbourne will be fine, will finish Top 4 and nobody will want to play them in the Finals.

I was listening to Gus Gould talking about how there are two leagues in the NRL now, and he said that the games between the bottom sides (St George, Wests, NQ, Canterbury etc) are fun to watch but they aren't NRL games in terms of top quality. A divide has opened up between Penrith, Melbourne, Souths, Roosters, Canberra and Parra and the sides in the bottom 6, and it's interesting that in a cash-rich league like the NRL there are now sides that know before a ball is kicked that they have no chance of making the 8. Personally I don't see the problem, and I hope the Aussies don't either. Over here we'd be changing the structure and the system to give the poorer sides artificial chances to close the gap, but I hope that those NRL clubs are simply told to recruit better, pick better coaches and improve themselves, because their failures are self-inflicted really.

If some games every weekend aren't great quality it doesn't matter, because Penrith v Melbourne was top top quality and that is what sells the game. We should take note, some clubs just do their business better and should reap the rewards.
    Yep, completely agree. Don't think there will be any attempts to artificially try and level things up. Like u say, up to them to get their own house in order.

Banned

Bulldogs looking even more of a laughing stock than they were last season. Back to back nillings with the latest against the inept Broncos.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Bulldogs looking even more of a laughing stock than they were last season. Back to back nillings with the latest against the inept Broncos.
    I turned that game off at half time it was dreadful

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum Down View Post

Shows how things can be seen differently. I thought Klein was wrong as well, but not for the same reason. To me the ball came forward off the Melbourne players hand onto the Penrith hand, then went forward to the Penrith player who was offside. Should have been a restart by Penrith. However, I accept my view may have been wrong as well.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.