Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where Do You Play Welsby?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I don’t watch the Academy on a regular basis and have probably seen most of Simm’s appearances since he come on the scene, either in person or on the TV in 2020 and I don’t doubt he has some talent but to go straight into a starting position next year, replacing Naiqama? I’m not sure about that. I like Naiqama, even though he wasn’t as good in 2020 as he was in 2019 but that’s a hell of a change to be making.
    I was thinking more that Naiqama will be out of contract next year (2022) and will probably go back home, Simm is still work in progress similar stage to when Percival was introduced into the first team. He looks very promising but if we try and sign another centre replacement for Naiqama then Simm will look elsewhere for his rugby.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I was thinking more that Naiqama will be out of contract next year (2022) and will probably go back home, Simm is still work in progress similar stage to when Percival was introduced into the first team. He looks very promising but if we try and sign another centre replacement for Naiqama then Simm will look elsewhere for his rugby.
    That’s my point. Is he good enough? Simm was kept out of the squad by Welsby at the back end of 2020, so I’m not exactly confident that he is good enough, at present.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    2 ACL injuries, last one in 2015, he played at fullback for pretty much all of 16, most of 17 and a few games in 18. I dont think there is much difference between the lateral movement needed when in attack and when defending, if anything being tackled round his legs may put more pressure on his knee than when moving laterally in defence, i dont think his knee is much of a concern, given that he has played 5 seasons with no issues.
    I would like to think that Lomax is a lot tougher these days and a lot more experienced on loading his standing leg. Last year Lomax took a hammering by the opposition last year at half back and picked up quite a lot of injuries during games but just shook them off and carried on.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Discussion aside, isn’t it great to have such strong young players capable of pushing for game time in a back to back champion backline?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I would like to think that Lomax is a lot tougher these days and a lot more experienced on loading his standing leg. Last year Lomax took a hammering by the opposition last year at half back and picked up quite a lot of injuries during games but just shook them off and carried on.
    Right. He took some big knocks last year and some late ones, but always got up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Why would you think he’s slow? He’s not lightning quick but I’d back him in a foot race against Coote, Fages and Lomax.
    Understand the question.

For older viewers a bit like comparing Neil Holding to Paul Loughlin.

Loughlin was a long striding centre but did not have the pace for half back /fullback.

Houses for courses.

Welsby can cover ground but not the pace and agility of a modern HB/FB.
    Not sneering or a slight just an observation.

Banned

I don't actually think he's that good at the moment.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

He looked pretty rapid in the final seconds of the Grand Final.

Welsby has come on leaps and bounds in the past couple of seasons.

Hes on the fringes of a first team place, hes still only 19 and with Coote and Naiquama possibly heading back home at the end of '21 , he just needs to keep his powder dry, when he plays have a steady game and his time will come.

I wouldn't be surprised if he didnt start ahead of Percival at the start of the season though.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

Now I'm doubting myself.

Hasn't he got a susceptibility to knee/leg injuries/niggles? And the fullback position requires more lateral movement that stand off.

Or have I dreamt all this?
    Not dreamt it, your just living in the past.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Not dreamt it, your just living in the past.
    Not the first time that's been said to me

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    That’s my point. Is he good enough? Simm was kept out of the squad by Welsby at the back end of 2020, so I’m not exactly confident that he is good enough, at present.

Welsby seems more physically mature than Simm, naturally bigger.

Simm has ripped it up at age-restricted levels (2019 scored 30 tries in 20 games for the Academy). But he's not a naturally big lad, so will take more time to gain the muscle/build required for being a consistent player against fully grown blokes. He's only 19 and I expect his introduction to be managed carefully and gradually.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Add Lewis Dodd to the frame .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Add Lewis Dodd to the frame .
    But is he as good as Dave Hewitt?

As for Welsby Saints, long term have always seen him as a fullback. He'll be the replacement for Coote.
    Last edited by Rogues Gallery; 12th February 2021 at 20:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    But is he as good as Dave Hewitt?
    Now now Rogues lol, was your Daughter part of the vaccination process at the TWS , if the lady was you should be very proud of her everyone concerned did and are doing a tremendous job , 25 thousand people have received shall we say the 'jab' and without all these volunteers with massive hearts this could never have happened. Could you just pass my thanks on for both myself and my better half = thank you xx. PS the kisses are not for you but the 'chip' off the old block lol.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Now now Rogues lol, was your Daughter part of the vaccination process at the TWS , if the lady was you should be very proud of her everyone concerned did and are doing a tremendous job , 25 thousand people have received shall we say the 'jab' and without all these volunteers with massive hearts this could never have happened. Could you just pass my thanks on for both myself and my better half = thank you xx. PS the kisses are not for you but the 'chip' off the old block lol.
    Both my daughter and granddaughter Roy. Yes I am very proud of them and indeed all those who have done such a wonderful job. I will pass your thanks on, thank you, stay safe, have fun, keep smiling.

btw. I bumped into Jacko and the rest of the Wigan scouts in the Billinge Arms (George and Dragon to proper Billingers) just before Christmas, they were on their "Christmas do"

Both my daughter and granddaughter Roy. Yes I am very proud of them and indeed all those who have done such a wonderful job. I will pass your thanks on, thank you, stay safe, have fun, keep smiling.

btw. I bumped into Jacko and the rest of the Wigan scouts in the Billinge Arms (George and Dragon to proper Billingers) just before Christmas, they were on their "Christmas do"
    Jacko is a good friend of the lads he's local is the Woodlands seen him in there a couple of times decent bloke . G&D with that lot in just glad I wasn't passing imagine I could have nipped in the cellar and turned the pumps off .

I'm still trying to work out how he did this pass...

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Sainthood View Post
    I'm still trying to work out how he did this pass...

Let’s not get carried away yet with Welsby , he is young and had an ‘Ok’ season last year . Play him when and where required and continue to mould him

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

As you should be.
    Not like the shower you normally support.

I wouldn't be surprised if Coote did another year at least. Within a few weeks of arriving he was talking about extending his contact! He'll be 31 in April so I'm not sure NRL clubs would be mad on him starting their season at 32, as good as he is

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Let’s not get carried away yet with Welsby , he is young and had an ‘Ok’ season last year . Play him when and where required and continue to mould him
    I think he did ok is a fair summary. He was hyped by too many pundits on SKY and it did'nt help. He looks like one of those players who is similar to how Paul Wellens or Sean Long progressed in their career, both taking a while to really command the field at the early parts of their career.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I think he did ok is a fair summary. He was hyped by too many pundits on SKY and it did'nt help. He looks like one of those players who is similar to how Paul Wellens or Sean Long progressed in their career, both taking a while to really command the field at the early parts of their career.
    That could be a very good shout Eddie. I don't think anyone would be upset with a hybrid Wello/Long on our hands.