Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Bargains

In The South Stand

What I like about it is that while it’s a big, national brand, they’re committing long-term, whether this deal lasts five years or fifty, to the town by the creation of 750 jobs with the building of a warehouse in Bold.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    As dim sighted and uneducated as your personal attacks on Konrad Hurrell.
    There have been no personal attacks on anyone. Saying I don't rate someone and he doesn't look fit isn't a personal attack.

Thankfully there are people on here who are willing to accept other viewpoints and debate them properly. If you think what I've posted is obviously wrong, go and look on Facebook, Twitter etc at the comments after the announcement and the many joke posts being made about it.

Got A Season Ticket Duke Eddington's Avatar

The spelling is wrong on it. Everyone knows it is known as 'Home and Bargain'

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I'm entirely sure people will complain. And they have a right to, to be fair. Whilst I understand the importance of sponsorship for the club with the few years we've had recently, I don't think we could have got a more embarassing set of sponsors. Totally Wicked, Cash Converters and now Home Bargains? Perhaps Durex or Tampax might have been worse, but the image this portrays isn't going to be fantastic.

I'd love to see someone mock up what the kit could look like with their genuinely horrific logo on it? You have to wonder what percentage of the income the club will get from the deal will be lost in the reduction in kit sales over the next few years? It's also almost a meme in itself whenever we lose at home.

Why do you feel that people have a right to complain? Would you have done better? A million times better than cash converters. They're a successful local company supporting our club.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    They are a massive local brand with billionaire owners, im not sure i see what the problem is. Compared to Cash Converters they are a much better brand to be associated with, Cash Converters absolutely suck in my eyes and prey on people struggling financially. Home Bargains is nowhere near a glamorous brand, but in terms of Rugby Leagues profile getting a major local business on board is a good sign, its not like we are Warrington who have a sign saying they suck on the front.
    Come on dude you gotta hand it to Warrington with that sponsorship regardless of the giggles it creates. They have gone and got themselves a global brand on their shirts which is no mean achievement.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    Come on dude you gotta hand it to Warrington with that sponsorship regardless of the giggles it creates. They have gone and got themselves a global brand on their shirts which is no mean achievement.
    There was no attempt to ridicule the size of Hoover, they are a massive brand, its more of a joke aimed at Warrington not having won the league in 66 years.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    What I like about it is that while it’s a big, national brand, they’re committing long-term, whether this deal lasts five years or fifty, to the town by the creation of 750 jobs with the building of a warehouse in Bold.
    Yeah I think when you look at the community driven nature of the sport it's a pretty good tie up in that regard. A nationwide company with fairly local roots, committing to employing a significant number of people locally too.

To be blunt, St Helens isn't an affluent area, it doesn't have an affluent supporter base and isn't awash with headquarters of blue chip corporations who are going to see an attraction in advertising their branding around the town and to a relatively small TV audience.

The challenge for Saints longer term (and indeed the sport) is widening our appeal so advertising to our supporter base is a more attractive proposition. In the meantime finding the right sort of companies with those community links etc and hopefully avoiding those with the more questionable operating models (like Cash Converters).

If it's a decent deal for the club financially and fits into the shirt designs reasonably well then I think we've done ok overall with this one. It should help pay for an extension to the trophy room at least

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Sorry, but I can't help being a little disappointed with this...And I do sometimes shop at HB...And I'll probably buy the shirt anyway!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Eddington View Post

Only in 'Tellins it is

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I don't think it's embarassing. I'm as poor as they come these days and would happily shop there with no shame whatsoever. However it's a brand associated with cheapness. Would Saints fans be taking the proverbial out of Warrington or Wigan if they accounced that as their main sponsor though? Of course they would.
    Yes fancy being sponsored by a multi billion pound company

Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    Yes fancy being sponsored by a multi billion pound company
    Do you mean like 'Hoover'?

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Great news that a company of that size wants to commit to Saints, especially in this economical environment.

The creation of 750 jobs as well is something the club should be proud to part of.

COYS

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Do you mean like 'Hoover'?
    What has hoover got to do with Saints ?????

Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    What has hoover got to do with Saints ?????
    Nothing, sadly.

Banned

I wonder if Bezos wasn't answering his phone

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    My thoughts too.

Not the sexiest sponsor but a good well known company that is on the up. A good piece of business from the club.

Bloody Hell who do you want - Ann Summers?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Will the jerseys have Arabic writing on them?

I think its a good move by both parties, a local business with a national footprint and as others have said moving away from a pawnbrokers is a move upwards

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Home Bargains has a very admirable business model, in that it buys main branded stuff but sells them for less than the more ‘up market’ stores, it treats its employers decently compared to others in this field.

People don’t see Aldi and Lidl low brow any more, so maybe this part of their strategy to be associated with quality. They don’t sell rubbish they sell top brands at lower prices. It isn’t fingerpost Mr Thrifty

Compare that to Others whose business model is to buy very cheap clothing items made in near slavery conditions in the far east.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Home Bargains has a very admirable business model, in that it buys main branded stuff but sells them for less than the more ‘up market’ stores, it treats its employers decently compared to others in this field.

People don’t see Aldi and Lidl low brow any more, so maybe this part of their strategy to be associated with quality. They don’t sell rubbish they sell top brands at lower prices. It isn’t fingerpost Mr Thrifty

Compare that to Others whose business model is to buy very cheap clothing items made in near slavery conditions in the far east.
    You're quite right - I don't think people see them as a particularly budget brand, joking aside. I don't know what people were thinking we'd end up with, maybe Google and Microsoft were busy when we were negotiating a deal?

We've moved away from a pawnbrokers, not gone to the standard betting company that seems common across most sports.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post

I think that's putting HB on too big a pedestal. They do have a lot of their own-brand stuff in there, as well as some bargain-basement options in terms of both price & quality. Their business model has changed over the past 5/6 years, though.

All these discount retailers have built their businesses on buying discounted bulk stock from manufacturers/distributors that is either discontinued lines, rebranded/designed packaging, over-production or coming up to best before dates, then knocking them out at a price between the normal retail and the bulk price they paid. They of course did many other products on a permanent basis to keep people coming back regularly, but the main attraction for many shoppers was always dropping on a proper bargain (often on products that were well-known brands, and often that weren't normally stocked permanently). Home Bargains have moved away from that to have a constant product suite complimented by season products.

It's also nudged its pricing up, too, so IMO doesn't represent as good a value as it once did. But it's stores are nicer/better organised/less chaotic than they used to be (and like many nominal competitors are)

Learning All The Songs

Don't care who is on the shirt personally better than a Bingo Hall

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Eddington View Post
    Correct!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    It's a national brand name company turns over 3 billion and I hope it's a cracking deal for the club. Welcome aboard for me to anyone who puts money into the club.
    A bit of sense, couldn’t agree more.

Considering Home Bargains have effectively replaced Woolworths on the metaphorical high street, if Woolworths still existed would people be happy - unhappy if Saints were to announce them as sponsors? “Bleedin ell, we’re gonna be known as the pick n mixers.”

What surprises me the most is that nobody has said “sponsored by Scousers”. Kudos to Bronco for gaslighting everyone on RedVee.tv

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    Within the UK based on revenue, Home Bargains is about 10 times the size of Hoover, so I hope they are paying more.