Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curtis Sironen - CONFIRMED

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Much reduced than his marquee salary at Leeds yes but certainly not coming for small change
    I agree totally, but given his potential threat, if he gets to our fitness level, he could prove great value for money

He won't be coming for bus fare

Not sure where it leaves Simm and Batchelor.

Just don't understand the logic of Hurrell especially alongside Hopoate and Sironen who are both gambles for different reasons.
    Are three big signings have question marks over form/heart , injury and weight respectively .

This recruitment will go down as either inspired or be a car crash of hohaia Perry and LaFrank proportions.
    One gamble signing in an off-season is one thing. Saints have gone all in on longshots
    Wait and see.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    He won't be coming for bus fare

Not sure where it leaves Simm and Batchelor.

Just don't understand the logic of Hurrell especially alongside Hopoate and Sironen who are both gambles for different reasons.
    Are three big signings have question marks over form/heart , injury and weight respectively .

This recruitment will go down as either inspired or be a car crash of hohaia Perry and LaFrank proportions.
    One gamble signing in an off-season is one thing. Saints have gone all in on longshots
    Wait and see.

I mean I am not sure how many teams would consider NRL regulars as longshots...

Your concerns seem very contrary. If Hurrell/Sironen/Hopoate dont perform, then they get replaced by Simm/Batchelor/Wingfield. Having a competitive squad where kids who are ready can step into a squad and replace a senior player, without having to be dependent on them (like Wigan have been for this season for example). The role of Simm and Batchelor is to make sure Hopoate/Sironen/Hurrell put the work in, and if there are injuries that theyre ready to step in.

Its entirely possible all 3 of Hurrell/Sironen/Hopoate dont work out for one reason or another, and Simm/Batchelor/Wingfield arent ready to step in, and we have a car crash season (labelled quickly as "transition") but the liklihood of all of those risks materialising is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post

Your concerns seem very contrary. If Hurrell/Sironen/Hopoate dont perform, then they get replaced by Simm/Batchelor/Wingfield. Having a competitive squad where kids who are ready can step into a squad and replace a senior player, without having to be dependent on them (like Wigan have been for this season for example). The role of Simm and Batchelor is to make sure Hopoate/Sironen/Hurrell put the work in, and if there are injuries that theyre ready to step in.

Its entirely possible all 3 of Hurrell/Sironen/Hopoate dont work out for one reason or another, and Simm/Batchelor/Wingfield arent ready to step in, and we have a car crash season (labelled quickly as "transition") but the liklihood of all of those risks materialising is unlikely.
    Nrl is no guarantee but longshot is probably not the best term.

All three will be on six figures plus and 3 year deals if options are in their favour.

Thats a risk and a lot of cap tied up.
    One high end signing with a risk is one thing. We will have three.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Any signing you make is a risk.

There's no guarantees whatsoever and we have signed players in the past with great reputations who have been fantastic and some with great reputations who have failed. Same with players with very limited reputations, some great some flops.

Ultimately I trust the current coaching staff and our recent reputation of bringing players in has been good under Rush for the last 3 or 4 years now. If Woolf has trust in these players, and given his success here so far, I've no reason to doubt him (playing style or not) then I'm happy to go with it.

I think we'll be very strong again next year with the players we are bringing in, along with the excitement that Dodd and Welsby will bring as younger players playing in the spine of our team. It's all about balance and I feel we've had that right in recent years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Any signing you make is a risk.

There's no guarantees whatsoever and we have signed players in the past with great reputations who have been fantastic and some with great reputations who have failed. Same with players with very limited reputations, some great some flops.

Ultimately I trust the current coaching staff and our recent reputation of bringing players in has been good under Rush for the last 3 or 4 years now. If Woolf has trust in these players, and given his success here so far, I've no reason to doubt him (playing style or not) then I'm happy to go with it.

I think we'll be very strong again next year with the players we are bringing in, along with the excitement that Dodd and Welsby will bring as younger players playing in the spine of our team. It's all about balance and I feel we've had that right in recent years.
    Understand and respect the logic but don't quite have the same degree of confidence

Even if you start the clock at Holbrook and ignore Douglas and Morgan, there have been paulo, Thompson (wrong type of player and busted).
    I like Passi and mautauia and they have the capacity to come good but as of yet have not ripped up many trees.

Wait and see.
    I am looking forward to seeing sironen.
    My thoughts on hopoate are well documented.
    Hurrell I'm just scratching my head.

In The West Stand

Understand and respect the logic but don't quite have the same degree of confidence

Even if you start the clock at Holbrook and ignore Douglas and Morgan, there have been paulo, Thompson (wrong type of player and busted).
    I like Passi and mautauia and they have the capacity to come good but as of yet have not ripped up many trees.

Wait and see.
    I am looking forward to seeing sironen.
    My thoughts on hopoate are well documented.
    Hurrell I'm just scratching my head.

In: Batchelor, Naiqama, Paulo, Coote
    Out: Wilkin, Smith, Barba

In:
    Out: Swift, Douglas, Morgan, Richardson

In: J Thompson, Graham, Paasi, Mata’utia, Norman
    Out: Graham, L Thompson, Taia, Peyroux, Paulo, Costello, Ashworth

2021 (so far)
    In: Hopoate, Sironen
    Out: Coote, Naiqama, Bentley, Thompson

Not too many duff players in there. There is an argument around Thompson but he’s been very good since a couple of weeks before the challenge cup final

This is my view of things. Woolf knows the Tongan boys really well and is obviously very confident that they will fit in, Sironen is as good a 2nd row as we can get I suppose, far more experienced with a better skill set than Bentley & much less likely to cost you a game through stupidity. As you say, our home grown players have time & again stepped up & we have to believe that they will push the established players for the shirt.
    I think we have hedged our bets quite well, hopefully it will work out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I think we need to get the kids on good long term contracts. When you look at the Canterbury Bulldogs team it appears the NRL doesn’t have enough talent for 16 teams, and they’re gonna bring in a 17th! They will be poaching plenty top British players i worry. Players like Knowles will be top of the shopping list. With the money in the NRL they could even take a punt on players as young as Welsby or Dodd. The Raiders took on Turner a few seasons back and he never even played a game.

Never mind worrying about the quality of Sironen and Hurrel. Our biggest concern should be tying down the youngsters long term.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I think we need to get the kids on good long term contracts. When you look at the Canterbury Bulldogs team it appears the NRL doesn’t have enough talent for 16 teams, and they’re gonna bring in a 17th! They will be poaching plenty top British players i worry. Players like Knowles will be top of the shopping list. With the money in the NRL they could even take a punt on players as young as Welsby or Dodd. The Raiders took on Turner a few seasons back and he never even played a game.

Never mind worrying about the quality of Sironen and Hurrel. Our biggest concern should be tying down the youngsters long term.
    Agree with all of this, we absolutely must tie Knowles down, a long term deal including being captain. Welsby & Dodd also crucial to us. Wingfield also looks to be a real prospect, Grace only signed a 1 year deal so that needs extending too. The NRL wil be coming calling as we all know.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Agree with most of this, but not sure Hurrel will get to start before Batchelor. One is an improving SR the other is a centre being brought inas a utility. Has Hurrell ever played SR?

In: Batchelor, Naiqama, Paulo, Coote
    Out: Wilkin, Smith, Barba

In:
    Out: Swift, Douglas, Morgan, Richardson

In: J Thompson, Graham, Paasi, Mata’utia, Norman
    Out: Graham, L Thompson, Taia, Peyroux, Paulo, Costello, Ashworth

2021 (so far)
    In: Hopoate, Sironen
    Out: Coote, Naiqama, Bentley, Thompson

Not too many duff players in there. There is an argument around Thompson but he’s been very good since a couple of weeks before the challenge cup final
    I was talking overseas. When we have signed well we have signed very well but there are a few who haven't gone well. The argument from another poster was all recent overseas signings have been hits.

Thompson good player as he was was the wrong type of player to replace taia and his body is shot. His renaissance has still not included a pass or an offload and has merely added to lomax attacking difficulties.

The current recruits are neither barba or coote in nature they each have a major obstacle to overcome be that recent form injury or weight
    That a gamble for 20 % ish of the cap for upto 3 years..

Noooobie

I'd throw the book at Knowles. We need him. Wouldn't worry about grace to nrl. He wouldn't make it there

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgey91 View Post
    I'd throw the book at Knowles. We need him. Wouldn't worry about grace to nrl. He wouldn't make it there
    Grace is hoping to go to RU not the NRL. Though I don't think he will make it in RU. They go a lot more for size with their wingers.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Grace is hoping to go to RU not the NRL. Though I don't think he will make it in RU. They go a lot more for size with their wingers.
    A certain former Wigan winger didn't do too bad in Union

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    A certain former Wigan winger didn't do too bad in Union

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk
    That was nearly 20 years ago The game has moved on since then.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgey91 View Post
    I'd throw the book at Knowles.
    Definitely. He's a marquee player and future captain. It'll be tough to keep him though if the NRL come calling and he has ambitions to play there though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Looking around, Wire are signing half of the Cas team that have done nothing more than Salford in the last 5 years (1xGF and 1xCCFinal) but some people think they will be world-beaters!

Wigan are losing Hastings, Gildart and Manfredi has gone and they don’t seem to be replacing those three.

Leeds? Their best business is signing Bentley (as a proven winner) compared to Their choice of half backs.

Then there’s us…..

All signings are a gamble, but we seem to have the odds stacked more in our favour than against.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Looking around, Wire are signing half of the Cas team that have done nothing more than Salford in the last 5 years (1xGF and 1xCCFinal) but some people think they will be world-beaters!

Wigan are losing Hastings, Gildart and Manfredi has gone and they don’t seem to be replacing those three.

Leeds? Their best business is signing Bentley (as a proven winner) compared to Their choice of half backs.

Then there’s us…..

All signings are a gamble, but we seem to have the odds stacked more in our favour than against.
    Warrington Tigers ?????

Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    Warrington Tigers ?????
    I wonder if Powell will walk across the Halliwell Jones if we hand them their arse ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    I wonder if Powell will walk across the Halliwell Jones if we hand them their arse ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2112_Saint View Post
    According to the Wire fans, he can walk on water so why not?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Still no mention of this on the BBC website.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-202...2-62847488affc

Interesting Piece.

You just assume NRL clubs have the best medical care for players not always the case.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-202...2-62847488affc

Interesting Piece.

You just assume NRL clubs have the best medical care for players not always the case.
    Hope he has had the knee cleaned out or has Manley just passed the problem onto us otherwise its going to effect his pre season over here.