Thread: Absolute cracking read

Got A Season Ticket

Default Absolute cracking read

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post
    Read it in league express yesterday, absolute quality ����

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

He was a fantastic compere, really funny. The poor guy who replaced him didn't stand a chance, the number of times he'd come on the pitch and the pop side would chant we want Neil Holding back. Poor fella

Banned

I wonder if a lack of a sense of humour is a chromosomal thing with pie people?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    He was a fantastic compere, really funny. The poor guy who replaced him didn't stand a chance, the number of times he'd come on the pitch and the pop side would chant we want Neil Holding back. Poor fella
    is that the guy who ended up turning on the Saints fans during the Ellery Hanley years?
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    is that the guy who ended up turning on the Saints fans during the Ellery Hanley years?
    Wasn’t it during the Eric Hughe saga, not Saints fans’ finest hour

Got A Season Ticket

he silenced the Warrington fans in 1996 when he rubbed the pitch and said 'grass grass'. wilderspool didn't have any, just dry or wet mud!

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Banned

He'd probably be looking at a stretch now for that joke, especially with Stan Boardman as a character reference.

Quote Originally Posted by banburysaint View Post
    he silenced the Warrington fans in 1996 when he rubbed the pitch and said 'grass grass'. wilderspool didn't have any, just dry or wet mud!

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Was it so far back? Didn't realise.

'You see this, this is grass. You don't have it at your place.'

Funny bloke is Neil Holding

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I wonder if a lack of a sense of humour is a chromosomal thing with pie people?
    I’ve often thought a new £20 note should have a picture of a Wiganer on it; you’d never feel unhappy at handing money over ever again. They’d be smiling at you and you’d be smiling at them. On the back of the note you could have a chromosome quiz.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

A good read. Never heard someone be so honest about what Murph was like, behind the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    A good read. Never heard someone be so honest about what Murph was like, behind the scenes.
    Covering himself in glory again Murph. You'd think he'd behave differently having had his jaw smashed to bits by Tony Fisher when he was playing for Warrington

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Covering himself in glory again Murph. You'd think he'd behave differently having had his jaw smashed to bits by Tony Fisher when he was playing for Warrington
    Yes. Bloke seemed to think he was bullet proof because he was a great player. Truth is coaching is a different skillset all together. Some of the same attitudes that may have helped on the pitch can be totally counter productive off it in a leadership position.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Alan Whittle would probably endorse that, Murph would quite often send out a disguised long bullet pass out to Whittle, if he didn't read it properly Murph use to rip into him. Same thing when he broke away from the scrum, Whittle didn't react quick enough and Murphy would give him a load of verbals.

I seem to remember only Karalius would have words with him, he was his minder though in the early Murph years.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Yes. Bloke seemed to think he was bullet proof because he was a great player. Truth is coaching is a different skillset all together. Some of the same attitudes that may have helped on the pitch can be totally counter productive off it in a leadership position.
    I know as a Saints fans we're supposed to idolise Murphy but I can't stand him.

Interesting to read his comments about us trying to sign Kenny, I've never heard that before

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

Interesting to read his comments about us trying to sign Kenny, I've never heard that before

Sent from my SM-A716B using Tapatalk

Can't help thinking of a later-years Ray French (per Radio Merseyside) getting the players mixed up

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Can't help thinking of a later-years Ray French (per Radio Merseyside) getting the players mixed up

I don't know if you know Ray at all but he is a really nice guy, and no problem with his memories of years ago.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

I wasn't surprised by the Kenny quote so I must have heard it before from somewhere. Either way we'd have been happy I suppose.

I agree on Murphy. He was coach when I was a kid but despite older neighbours and relatives telling me about how great he was as a player it meant nothing to me really, I just thought of him as the coach and I usually felt like we failed to reach our potential. His programme notes most weeks consisted of 'we were unlucky to lose at (insert team) last week and we need a win here today to boost our chances of a home tie in the Premiership, so get behind the lads.' Inspirational stuff.

Banned

I don't know if you know Ray at all but he is a really nice guy, and no problem with his memories of years ago.
    Oh absolutely, top bloke, and still sharp. I actually enjoyed the Radio Merseyside commentary with Ray and Alan Rooney. Just used to make me smile hearing Rooney say "I think you'll find that it's [player name], Ray"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I wasn't surprised by the Kenny quote so I must have heard it before from somewhere. Either way we'd have been happy I suppose.

I agree on Murphy. He was coach when I was a kid but despite older neighbours and relatives telling me about how great he was as a player it meant nothing to me really, I just thought of him as the coach and I usually felt like we failed to reach our potential. His programme notes most weeks consisted of 'we were unlucky to lose at (insert team) last week and we need a win here today to boost our chances of a home tie in the Premiership, so get behind the lads.' Inspirational stuff.
    Remember being in a crowd in front of the Town Hall steps after the 1987 CCF cock-up and hearing Murphy tell us all not to worry, because they were going to win the Premiership for us.

Lost to Warrington next game

Banned

The one thing I will say about Murphy is this: Have a look at the 1971 RL Cup Final Leeds V Leigh. Bear in mind Leeds where 1/5 on with the bookies. At 31 he won that game on his own and heaven knows what he was like at 26. He is perhaps the best player ever in either code and would be as good today, pace over 25 yards is as relevant today as then, plus hid rugby brain would be unsurpassed today.

Now the personalities, which are opinion. I have met Alex lots of times and on his terms he is good fun and a bit of a rogue. I am about the same age as Neil and was in that peer group round the nightclub scene at the time. Honest opinion? An absolute arse as was Alan Hunte. The others like Ledger and Peters and Hagg great superb lads, as is Alan Hunte now, and perhaps Neil Holding is now.

it was a brutal game when Murphy played and yes he did Dennis O Neil of Widnes and that was not sport or part of the game. Winning money made players lets say more mercenary than was maybe healthy.

Banned

I second that and sharp as a pin last time I spoke to him.