Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Knowles No Try?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Watching the game now. It’s abysmal refereeing, this.

Knowles try not referred upstairs, Hughes makes the first knock-on in the Percival no-try and that hasn’t come off Grace first in the lead up to their first try. It’s come off King’s shoulder first then into Grace.
    There was no doubt these decisions had a significant bearing on the game. Saint's playing catch up, Warrington playing the sets out with an excellent long kicking game. Saints in fact made 50 and 60 yards with the ball each set they played out, Warrington made a lot less. Why water the pitch just before the game? Its not football.

Noooobie

I had to watch the game from home unfortunately and in the tunnel as the players were lining up to go on to the pitch Hicks made a beeline for Chris Hill and had a word in his ear. I thought it strange and showed it to my son. No effort to speak to James Roby so not a captains chat. Wish I could lip read.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    No it wouldn't. The next set would have had Saints receiving the ball on their own, and who knows they may have made another error.
    We could also have marched down field and scored again. If that try is given then it knocks the stuffing out of Warrington. All if buts and maybes but if that try is given it changes the whole complexity of the game for me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    No it wouldn't. The next set would have had Saints receiving the ball on their own, and who knows they may have made another error.
    Can you not read? I didn't say the next set.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Obviously I don't agree it's a weak case Tallacht. The officials made three glaring "errors" not awarding our "try" or even checking with the VR, awarding Wire a scrum deep in our half when the Wire player had knocked the ball in to Grace , it should have been our scrum, and Thaler not awarding our second "try" when Murdoch Massila clearly rips the ball from a Saints player , we collect the loose ball and score. This all resulted in us losing twelve points and gifting Wire six. And as another poster has pointed out, you don't do comebacks at Wembley! I addressed the disallowed Wire "try" as Hicks merely redressing the balance when the damage had been done. What's weak about any of that? We didn't play well, but teams have often not played well and won. It is rather more unusual for teams to overcome decisions made by officials however.
    As excruciating as it was, I've forced myself to watch it back. As Prez says here, glaring refereeing errors resulted in an 18 point turnaround i.e. 2 perfectly good Saints tries denied and Wire awarded one after a knock on from their winger in the build up. That's quite simply unacceptable, especially in a game of that magnitude. Saints were completely dominant and on top for the first 25 and at 12-0 up, the emphatic Saints victory all were predicting, was nailed on imo. The effect these blatant injustices would have had mentally on both sides is imeasurable. No side would have come back from that, not even one so dominant for 2 years with by far the best attack and defense. It was just too big a mountain to climb, especially in 35 degree heat. Interestingly, by 25 mins or so I only saw us make 3 errors and Wire one or two. The mistakes all came in the second half when heads and the game was gone.

It's like Groundhog Day, as a Saints supporter, suffering heartbreaking defeats in crucial games at the hands of officials. So frustrating but I don't see what we can do about it. I guess just hope that in future we are so dominant even the refs can't beat us.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

I still can't believe that, as one of the first sports to use video replays to review decisions during a live game, we have neglected to use it in a showpiece final. It's especially unbelievable when VAR has had so much publicity in the last 18 months owing to it's use at the FiFA World Cup and now the Premier League.

I did wonder if Holbrook or Knowles were going to go all Charlie Austin from last season (for those that haven't seen it the link's below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdTlXEPoEdU

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The booze hound View Post
    Terrible decision not to check the grounding. I'm bemused how he found it not worthy to send it upstairs to the video ref.
    Momentum changer. It was all Saints up till then.
    You’re right. He knew if it went to the screen they would have to give it. Knew exactly what he was doing

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    As excruciating as it was, I've forced myself to watch it back. As Prez says here, glaring refereeing errors resulted in an 18 point turnaround i.e. 2 perfectly good Saints tries denied and Wire awarded one after a knock on from their winger in the build up. That's quite simply unacceptable, especially in a game of that magnitude. Saints were completely dominant and on top for the first 25 and at 12-0 up, the emphatic Saints victory all were predicting, was nailed on imo. The effect these blatant injustices would have had mentally on both sides is imeasurable. No side would have come back from that, not even one so dominant for 2 years with by far the best attack and defense. It was just too big a mountain to climb, especially in 35 degree heat. Interestingly, by 25 mins or so I only saw us make 3 errors and Wire one or two. The mistakes all came in the second half when heads and the game was gone.

It's like Groundhog Day, as a Saints supporter, suffering heartbreaking defeats in crucial games at the hands of officials. So frustrating but I don't see what we can do about it. I guess just hope that in future we are so dominant even the refs can't beat us.
    Just calmed down enough to re-watch it and you're summing has saved me the bother.
    Exactly what I was just about to post - we absolutely murdered them first 25 mins with repeat sets and errors from the clown with the whistle changed the game.

It's not the whole story as 2nd half we was as bad as I've seen us for a few years - as panic and fatigue set in. But if we was 6 - 10 pts up at that stage we go on to win comfortable IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I don’t know what that will achieve. We have a tiny pool of underpaid (by Rugby Union standards) referees. Some have already claimed that Childs now referees more Championship games than Super League games and I don’t see much scope for Hicks to be demoted.

My view is that we need a root and branch reform of refereeing systems. For quick results, I think that we should just copy the RU video ref system and dump the on field decision as a bad idea. I don’t follow RU but, from what I’ve seen, their top flight refs are better and their video ref system is better. They’ve copied from us in the past and I don’t see anything wrong with copying what they do when it works better.

To avoid the danger of referees being accused of incompetence, arrogance, or being part of some RFL/Sky/BBC conspiracy we need a system where the video ref can quickly point out mistakes or suggest a short delay for a joint review of the recording. If we have video refs we need to use them properly.

To get a better pool of referees, the RFL should look at pay and general terms and conditions. The main point I’m trying to make, however, is that individuals will always make mistakes and we need systems in place to mitigate against that. Perhaps those with more knowledge than me could make some positive suggestions.
    I broadly agree but you have to make a stand as a club, unless you just want to have the p**s taken out of you again at some point in the remainder of the season

Got A Replica Shirt FW de KLERK's Avatar

I want to say something rude to Hicks. Is that allowed or will I get locked up?

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

If it had gone to the VR the outcome would still be the same. There was insufficient evidence to clearly overturn the no try field call.
    I await the backlash....however I enjoyed the day pre game mixing among Wire and Saints fans and a few from other regions. Great atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    If it had gone to the VR the outcome would still be the same. There was insufficient evidence to clearly overturn the no try field call.
    I await the backlash....however I enjoyed the day pre game mixing among Wire and Saints fans and a few from other regions. Great atmosphere.
    Insufficient evidence like his hand on the ball? You can’t use the ref’s ineptness in not seeing it to justify the outcome that may have followed. It would still be a poor original decision

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

What hand? You couldn't see a hand as it was obscured by the ball.

In The South Stand

Have the ones complaining about having to catch up at Wembley not heard of or seen the 1996 greatest ever catch up at Wembley , the difference being that Saints had players who could think and change games then.

Behave. I’m yet to read an opinion that says it wasn’t a try from any fan of any club

Starting A Programme Collection

That’s a try all day long. 3 of the 4 camera angles clearly show knowles grounding the ball. You only have to have downward pressure for it to be a try. We’ll never know but I would like to think that even Thaler would agree and overturn the on field call. One other point is that Hicks new he’d cocked up with the Knowles try as he tried to even up his incompetence by sending the Lineham try up as no try for a petty indiscretion and Thalers explanation as to why he went along with Hicks was laughable.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Either go swap your old box tv and try and get one that has a decent screen or go get your eyes tested.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

]

Quote Originally Posted by FW de KLERK View Post
    I want to say something rude to Hicks. Is that allowed or will I get locked up?
    Put a blue and primrose shirt on, then threaten to murder him, you may get to meet him face to face.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Behave. I’m yet to read an opinion that says it wasn’t a try from any fan of any club
    I wouldn't entertain that guy with a response.

Default Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    ]

Put a blue and primrose shirt on, then threaten to murder him, you may get to meet him face to face.
    Good idea. I could ask him why he didn't go to the video ref?

Then he should have asked someone with a better view - like the video ref. Is that not why they exist in the first place?

Noooobie

Default refereeing a joke

It is a disgrace how the refereeing body are helping to destroy our wonderful game. How the hell can you send a decision up to the video referee as a try or no try when you never saw what happened. it is a total nonsense. Why not just use the video ref as we used to. Allow him to decide when he views the footage.
    Anyway, we never lost because of the refereeing, Warrington had a try disallowed that was a try.

Learning All The Songs

He must have had a hand on it because they said he bounced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    It is a disgrace how the refereeing body are helping to destroy our wonderful game. How the hell can you send a decision up to the video referee as a try or no try when you never saw what happened. it is a total nonsense. Why not just use the video ref as we used to. Allow him to decide when he views the footage.
    Because the game is run by people who aren’t all that bright

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Perhaps we should all just take a deep breath and remember that it was a 30 C Wembley final for the referee too?