Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - Rugby League Implications

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Adam Fogarty, the guy who decked Jack Duckworth
    Also shown Neil Cowie what a Kirkby kiss was.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Just read on BBC sport about football being expected to repay TV money for unplayed games. A similar situation for RL clubs could be disastrous.
    Sky are going to honour their deal with the superleague so the money is safe

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Yep, the money involved isn’t that big of a deal for Sky in the grand scheme of things (compared to what they pay for the PL), and RL still plays a big role for Sky over the summer months.

Also, with the contract coming to an end at the finish of the 2021 season it would be silly of Sky to create issues over such a (relatively) small amount for them. If they are paying £40m a year (as stated today) then £70-80m to the end of next season is nothing when you think that they pay an average of £9m per game for PL football.

It also means that their ‘loyalty’ will probably be expected to be repaid when the clubs start looking at the next TV contract.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Yep, the money involved isn’t that big of a deal for Sky in the grand scheme of things (compared to what they pay for the PL), and RL still plays a big role for Sky over the summer months.

Also, with the contract coming to an end at the finish of the 2021 season it would be silly of Sky to create issues over such a (relatively) small amount for them. If they are paying £40m a year (as stated today) then £70-80m to the end of next season is nothing when you think that they pay an average of £9m per game for PL football.

It also means that their ‘loyalty’ will probably be expected to be repaid when the clubs start looking at the next TV contract.
    I'm glad to hear that. If it had gone the other way, it would seem certain to be the end of some clubs.

Thanks both of you for the info. I'm glad to hear that. If it had gone the other way, it would seem certain to be the end of some clubs.

That's good news. We shouldn't forget that RL isn't the only half of this partnership that's in a parlous situation - Sky Sports will need live sport and plenty of it as soon as they can get their hands on it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    That's good news. We shouldn't forget that RL isn't the only half of this partnership that's in a parlous situation - Sky Sports will need live sport and plenty of it as soon as they can get their hands on it.
    I'm sure I've just read they're showing every game from the first round when the NRL starts again.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'm sure I've just read they're showing every game from the first round when the NRL starts again.
    I think their contract always allowed them to do that, but they'd previously not felt the need to in terms of schedules. With nothing else to show it makes sense.

I think their contract always allowed them to do that, but they'd previously not felt the need to in terms of schedules. With nothing else to show it makes sense.
    They also have the rights to Championship games but never show them. If RL comes back 'behind closed doors' in the not too distant future I could imagine there being a lot of games televised, as presumably it's going to be a good while before sports/events that involve a lot of international travel (e.g. F1, international cricket, golf) are going to be able to restart and fill up the schedule again.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    They also have the rights to Championship games but never show them. If RL comes back 'behind closed doors' in the not too distant future I could imagine there being a lot of games televised, as presumably it's going to be a good while before sports/events that involve a lot of international travel (e.g. F1, international cricket, golf) are going to be able to restart and fill up the schedule again.
    Until we get to a situation without a 2 week quarantine period on entering the country i'm not sure how we are going to return to playing. I can't imagine Catalan coming over 2 weeks early then staying over for the duration of it.

Until we get to a situation without a 2 week quarantine period on entering the country i'm not sure how we are going to return to playing. I can't imagine Catalan coming over 2 weeks early then staying over for the duration of it.
    Aren’t France exempt from this quarantine?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Yes it seems you are right,so we are all good then for restarting when it is deemed ok

It’s looking like we will be taking stock of how the NRL approach this as a blueprint for what we end up doing - as well as the Premier League. As we stand now in the middle of May I would say a starting date in early July is looking the most likely.

Early July definitely seems like the aim.

If anyone has any old flags or banners I'd advise you to get in touch with the club, as loads of them on the seats on the North Stand would look a lot better than empty seats!

Early July definitely seems like the aim.

If anyone has any old flags or banners I'd advise you to get in touch with the club, as loads of them on the seats on the North Stand would look a lot better than empty seats!
    Will the behind closed doors games be at individual stadia or will they use one modern, central stadium to house a round of games over a weekend?

Banned

Will the behind closed doors games be at individual stadia or will they use one modern, central stadium to house a round of games over a weekend?
    Most clubs don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Most clubs don't have one.

This has changed again. Travellers from France are now subject to quarantine.

Got A Season Ticket

I wonder if the GF will still be in October? I can't see it personally, even though it seems a few folk at the rfl are still looking at October as a possibility

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Colin View Post
    I wonder if the GF will still be in October? I can't see it personally, even though it seems a few folk at the rfl are still looking at October as a possibility
    Well it's 2 months since the last the game and at least another month away from the next so I'd say they'd be hard pushed even if they bin the cup and loop fixtures.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Yes it seems you are right,so we are all good then for restarting when it is deemed ok
    Also read those on 'business' would be exempt which would apply..

Catalans issue will be with the French government

If Premiership football is planning a June return is that the same for all sports (IE. RL) or are the UK doing it on an individual sport basis??

Starting A Programme Collection

Looked very briefly at the football from Germany last night, soulless is the only way to describe it, no disrespect at all intended, but far worse than watching Salford at home to Huddersfield, when all you can hear is a bit of encouragement coming from the ground staff. I'm looking forward to the game starting again, but not with the same enthusiasm as normal, part of going to a game is being caught up in the communal reaction and support of the crowd, not sat in your living room watching a game played in an empty ground. I'm sure the players also will find it hard to raise their game without encouragement, despite what they say about blocking the noise out when they're playing. Sorry to be a pessimist, but I don't think I'm the only one

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Looked very briefly at the football from Germany last night, soulless is the only way to describe it, no disrespect at all intended, but far worse than watching Salford at home to Huddersfield, when all you can hear is a bit of encouragement coming from the ground staff Im looking forward to the game starting again, but not with the same enthusiasm as normal, part of going to a game is being caught up in the communal reaction and support of the crowd, not sat in your living room watching a game played in an empty ground. I'm sure the players also will find it hard to raise their game without encouragement, despite what they say about blocking the noise out when they're playing. Sorry to be a pessimist, but I don't think I'm the only one
    I fully agree with you in this.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Looked very briefly at the football from Germany last night, soulless is the only way to describe it, no disrespect at all intended, but far worse than watching Salford at home to Huddersfield, when all you can hear is a bit of encouragement coming from the ground staff. I'm looking forward to the game starting again, but not with the same enthusiasm as normal, part of going to a game is being caught up in the communal reaction and support of the crowd, not sat in your living room watching a game played in an empty ground. I'm sure the players also will find it hard to raise their game without encouragement, despite what they say about blocking the noise out when they're playing. Sorry to be a pessimist, but I don't think I'm the only one
    Difficult not to agree with you on this, but I guess that sport has to start off again in some way or other. Obviously the football lot think that this is the way forward.
    I don't know what the £££ implications would be if RL followed suit. Sky money is important and probably our main income, but I assume that we have a heavier reliance on paying spectators than football does. Would our clubs be actually losing money if they played behind closed doors?