Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New signing - Wesley Bruines

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    Ritson wouldn't have been a good signing as a replacement for Grace on first team wages, it would have been barmy.

As a squad player, on loan, with zero commitment to the club beyond this year if it doesn't work out is great business. We keep our powder dry for 2024 and if Ritson does adapt and have a stormer then he will get the permanent spot.

If the club thought he was definitely up to it the deal wouldn't have been structured how it has.
    Bit sniffy.

Ritson won;t have come for bus fare but won't be on Wire wages either.

Why don't you just let him come and do his thing and see where everyone ends up.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Bit sniffy.

Why don't you just let him come and do his thing and see where everyone ends up.
    I posted this on the Ritson channel; He may be paid a decent wage from Saints, but I think from a cap perspective, all that counts on the cap is his existing, part time, contract with Barrow, as its a loan this year, which may well have been bus fare.

I dont think were totally up to the cap, so there may be some wiggle room when negotiating extensions with the players off contract this year.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Bit sniffy.

I've said plenty of times I'll be made up if he does well. If it's what is best for the club I'm happy, there's no agenda here, it's just my opinion that he isn't Super League standard currently. Something the club share by the way they have structured the deal, it's good business.

I've not given any opposition whatsoever to the way the club have signed Ritson no matter how much you want to believe I have.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I was slightly out, but you did advocate potentially giving him a 12 month deal: .

You based that on hearing a 32 year old had a good game in his 4th match of professional RL without even watching it, theres a reason he was on nobody’s radar, because he isnt good enough, you dont just change codes at that age for no reason. you have also slagged Bennison off consistently “Bennison isn't a top level winger either. He isn't Super League quality on the wing, no matter how the club want to position it. He's physically weak and very hesitant, which makes bringing the ball out difficult for him. He's no threat at all with the ball individually and his defense is also very weak.” So I’d say your judgements absolutely garbage.

Just because Bennison was given the number 5 shirt didnt stop us looking for players, which we have now found, it gave him the first chance to earn the spot, which he still has in my opinion. Without a change in our quota status NFT players are off limits and the vast majority of available players are substandard, Matty Russell and James Clare for example, even Ritson we have to pay a fee for when there isnt that much money in the sport.

You call people the no-signings club, in reality its a lot of people being realistic about the situation, seeing whats out there, accepting those available aren’t good enough and wanting the club to keep their powder dry for the right people, which Ritson and Bruines may be
    The word 'if' there is the key thing, I wasn't saying he was or he wasn't. If he was worthy of a spot, we could have just given him a 12 month deal, not every signing has to be a multiyear lock in. He was a top tier Union player who had a Super League deal, so it wasn't like he was a wild option.

I haven't consistently slagged Bennison off either. I've said he's played well at fullback and has a lot of promise there. But what I wrote about him on the wing is also true. He's a young lad in his first season in pro rugby in a foreign position and yet people were willing to have him exposed to a full season as a starter in what would have been a very exposed backline given Hopoate and Percival and their injury status.

I think we're looking at the same thing from two different perspectives. You were of the opinion that Bennison was fine and we should wait until something came up, I was of the opinion he wasn't a great option, we were short on depth anyway and we should find someone as there is always availability for players. I was never suggesting we did a Cunningham and signed Russell or Clare. We've now got that depth and there's a plan B, C and D if Bennison or Ritson struggle.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    The word 'if' there is the key thing, I wasn't saying he was or he wasn't. If he was worthy of a spot, we could have just given him a 12 month deal, not every signing has to be a multiyear lock in. He was a top tier Union player who had a Super League deal, so it wasn't like he was a wild option.

I haven't consistently slagged Bennison off either. I've said he's played well at fullback and has a lot of promise there. But what I wrote about him on the wing is also true. He's a young lad in his first season in pro rugby in a foreign position and yet people were willing to have him exposed to a full season as a starter in what would have been a very exposed backline given Hopoate and Percival and their injury status.

I think we're looking at the same thing from two different perspectives. You were of the opinion that Bennison was fine and we should wait until something came up, I was of the opinion he wasn't a great option, we were short on depth anyway and we should find someone as there is always availability for players. I was never suggesting we did a Cunningham and signed Russell or Clare. We've now got that depth and there's a plan B, C and D if Bennison or Ritson struggle.
    Ive just quoted exactly what you said about Bennison, referring to him as physically weak, very hesitant, bot threatening with the ball and weak defensively makes him sound like he shouldnt be playing rugby in the slightest, not just not on the wing. As for Kyle Evans, in no way is he a top tier former Union player, a simple look at his career would tell you that, so in actuality it was a wild option.

How many players have come out of our academy playing in 1 position and moved to another to play first team rugby, in this current team you can count Welsby, Makinson, Lomax, Roby and Knowles, whats to say Bennison will stay in the position hes played in the academy?

I am of the opinion Bennison hasn’t let us down on the wing when he came in and grew in to the team, he more than deserves the first chance to make the position his, signing a substandard journeyman would have stunted his development and probably limited our potential down 1 side, i have seen people suggesting signing 1 of these substandard players or mentioning NFT players we currently cannot sign, yourself included, the club in my eyes have been smart and waited to be able to get a good look at Ritson and Bruines rather than rushing in getting someone crap.

In The South Stand

Ive just quoted exactly what you said about Bennison, referring to him as physically weak, very hesitant, bot threatening with the ball and weak defensively makes him sound like he shouldnt be playing rugby in the slightest, not just not on the wing. As for Kyle Evans, in no way is he a top tier former Union player, a simple look at his career would tell you that, so in actuality it was a wild option.

How many players have come out of our academy playing in 1 position and moved to another to play first team rugby, in this current team you can count Welsby, Makinson, Lomax, Roby and Knowles, whats to say Bennison will stay in the position hes played in the academy?

I am of the opinion Bennison hasn’t let us down on the wing when he came in and grew in to the team, he more than deserves the first chance to make the position his, signing a substandard journeyman would have stunted his development and probably limited our potential down 1 side, i have seen people suggesting signing 1 of these substandard players or mentioning NFT players we currently cannot sign, yourself included, the club in my eyes have been smart and waited to be able to get a good look at Ritson and Bruines rather than rushing in getting someone crap.
    Bennison has looked fantastic at fullback and 'not let us down' on the wing. If he proves me wrong and rocks up next year like Anthony Sullivan MKII we'll all be winners.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Wes is a gamble, but a low risk one IMO
    Last edited by The Chief; 11th November 2022 at 09:58.

Watching Bruines run around he looks like a decent bet. Big and athletic with a bit of a step. Someone that could be developed into a decent player.

When you then add Makinson/Bennison as the starters, a good young set of backups in Sambou/Lane/Hill and an exciting project in Tee Ritson. We suddenly have a number of good options on the wing.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Watching Bruines run around he looks like a decent bet. Big and athletic with a bit of a step. Someone that could be developed into a decent player.

When you then add Makinson/Bennison as the starters, a good young set of backups in Sambou/Lane/Hill and an exciting project in Tee Ritson. We suddenly have a number of good options on the wing.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Bennison never really started on the wing. Will Dodd start the season? If not, it'll mean Jack is covering the halves again and we'll need to move Jon back to fullback?

Learning All The Songs

I wouldn't be surprised if Bennison never really started on the wing. Will Dodd start the season? If not, it'll mean Jack is covering the halves again and we'll need to move Jon back to fullback?
    Dodd is on track to make the WCC and friendlies before

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    Dodd is on track to make the WCC and friendlies before
    I don't know if Lomax has had his operation, but the recovery time is usually 3-4 months. Could be touch and go for him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't know if Lomax has had his operation, but the recovery time is usually 3-4 months. Could be touch and go for him.
    I should imagine before the season ended he was already booked in for his op. Just hope there isn't any serious damage when they did the repair, would the club risk him for the WCC game if short of being 100% fit.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I should imagine before the season ended he was already booked in for his op. Just hope there isn't any serious damage when they did the repair, would the club risk him for the WCC game if short of being 100% fit.
    I certainly wouldnt risk Dodd in the World Club Challenge, he needs easing back from his injury, as for Lomax unless he is 100% fit then he doesnt play either, id go so far to say that Percy shouldnt be risked in it either given he missed most of last year with a bone bruise that can take a long time to heal.

In The West Stand

I certainly wouldnt risk Dodd in the World Club Challenge, he needs easing back from his injury, as for Lomax unless he is 100% fit then he doesnt play either, id go so far to say that Percy shouldnt be risked in it either, we should be protecting our key players when coming back from bad injuries.
    I'd rather risk Dodd than Hopoate which is the other choice. If you dont play players for the risk of getting injured you might as well pack up and not bother.

The WCC is an accolade which only one member of our team has won, and the chance to do it in Aus and be the first SL team in the SL era to win over there would be huge. We were a couple of key injuries and video ref decisions from pulling it off against Roosters in 2020, and would throw everything at it again. I would rather win the WCC and finish 5th next season (because what does it matter as long as were in the playoffs) than suffer another 38-0 and cruise top again.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I'd rather risk Dodd than Hopoate which is the other choice. If you dont play players for the risk of getting injured you might as well pack up and not bother.

The WCC is an accolade which only one member of our team has won, and the chance to do it in Aus and be the first SL team in the SL era to win over there would be huge. We were a couple of key injuries and video ref decisions from pulling it off against Roosters in 2020, and would throw everything at it again. I would rather win the WCC and finish 5th next season (because what does it matter as long as were in the playoffs) than suffer another 38-0 and cruise top again.
    As long as the medical staff say they are Ok both Lomax and Dodd should play. I want to see us with a full team against Penrith, whether they pick a full team or not. If we have a strong side I don't see them not treating it seriously. A big loss at their home would be too much of an embarrassment.

True we had some good debates on what was our strongest team last year. We never got an answer because we never had every player available. We may not get an answer this year either. I guess the lesson for us to learn is that knowing our strongest team is irrelevant as it is the strongest squad that matters.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Got A Season Ticket Two Sugars Strong's Avatar

Yes, that is the truth.....
    That's the Saints way...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I thought Jonny just had to play with his injury and it couldn't actually be fixed?
    Learned comment from The Don

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I thought Jonny just had to play with his injury and it couldn't actually be fixed?
    I think it was a case of it couldn't get more damaged if he played and he kept playing for the team as getting it fixed was a a good while out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    I think it was a case of it couldn't get more damaged if he played and he kept playing for the team as getting it fixed was a a good while out.
    This is how I understood it too and it's the reason why he didn't play in the World Cup, so he could get it sorted.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    You cant do any more damage to a ruptured muscle, as long as its a full rupture. It’s probably 4 months to recover from the surgery and get back to strength.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    This is how I understood it too and it's the reason why he didn't play in the World Cup, so he could get it sorted.
    Yes, that was the "club party line". I should imagine how well he played with one ineffective arm Wane must have asked the question can he play on for the World Cup. Did sound like a club v country scenario with the decision in the players welfare and the opportunity went to another player in Jack Welsby.

All the lads are back in training in a couple of weeks will be interesting to see what Lomax will be doing in his recovery phase.

Back to the original thread of Wesley Bruines and the training saints videos, he doesn't look like a player settling for the reserves, do you reckon he will be challenging for a first team spot.

Yes, that was the "club party line". I should imagine how well he played with one ineffective arm Wane must have asked the question can he play on for the World Cup. Did sound like a club v country scenario with the decision in the players welfare and the opportunity went to another player in Jack Welsby.

All the lads are back in training in a couple of weeks will be interesting to see what Lomax will be doing in his recovery phase.
    The internationals aren't back til after Christmas - doubt we will see Lomax until then either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    The internationals aren't back til after Christmas - doubt we will see Lomax until then either.
    Probably heard it wrong thought Wello said they were back for just a couple of weeks then they all off for the Xmas period.

Probably heard it wrong thought Wello said they were back for just a couple of weeks then they all off for the Xmas period.
    It was on the video on Saints TV yesterday Roby was saying they're back after Christmas. It's mentioned here too:

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...y-hand-injury/