Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 165 of 468 FirstFirst ... 65115145155161162163164165166167168169175185215265 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 11700

Thread: Transfer Rumours - All in Here

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Or we don’t want us to sign some no mark player who happened to barely register on anyone’s radar at our level this year but did have one good game on BBC in a losing team.
    Talking about players playing well and being possibilities isn't the same as demanding we sign them. It's getting like Fight Club in here, no one is even allowed to talk about wingers.

I get it though, no one in the world is good enough. Not Josh Mansour, not Tee Ritson, not Tui Katoa. Even though all of them would improve us significantly and could be signed, they can't be signed as we can't ever sign anyone ever. I get it.

It's going to be hilarious when we have to sign three or four players next season.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Talking about players playing well and being possibilities isn't the same as demanding we sign them. It's getting like Fight Club in here, no one is even allowed to talk about wingers.

I get it though, no one in the world is good enough. Not Josh Mansour, not Tee Ritson, not Tui Katoa. Even though all of them would improve us significantly and could be signed, they can't be signed as we can't ever sign anyone ever. I get it.

It's going to be hilarious when we have to sign three or four players next season.
    Unbelievably, Mansour and Katoa (probably even Ritson) are better players than some part-time Union winger come Wakefield stand-in.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

We haven't got any quota spaces currently so 2 on that list we can't bring in without moving on a quota player. Tee Ritson I've honestly not seen enough of, but if Saints believed he was the right man to replace Grace I can guarantee we'd have made a move for him by now.

I really don't understand what is difficult about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Unbelievably, Mansour and Katoa (probably even Ritson) are better players than some part-time Union winger come Wakefield stand-in.
    I agree. I haven't said we should sign Evans, I didn't even watch the game last night. All I said was he doesn't need to improve, at 32 he could be given a 12 month contract.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    We haven't got any quota spaces currently so 2 on that list we can't bring in without moving on a quota player. Tee Ritson I've honestly not seen enough of, but if Saints believed he was the right man to replace Grace I can guarantee we'd have made a move for him by now.

I really don't understand what is difficult about this?
    There's nothing difficult about it, it's just a discussion and a difference in opinion. With Hopoate and Percival we're massively exposed to injury absences and don't have a winger to start with. We've never gone into a season without an established player in every position, Woolf confirmed we want to sign a winger, so did Wellens, so we keep discussing the options?

Saints banking on the fitness of both Percival and Hopoate (who is pedestrian at best) ,
    in addition to underestimating the threat of other backlines.

It's the tail end of and post Daniel Anderson all over again.

Think it will take Saints being blunt and getting burned in the backs before the penny drops.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Saints banking on the fitness of both Percival and Hopoate (who is pedestrian at best) ,

Think it will take Saints being blunt and getting burned in the backs before the penny drops.
    I agree it would be a risk if we don't sign anyone, but I think it's early to be saying stuff like this. All I posted was that Saints aren't desperate and won't just sign "a body" to fill a gap. I am still confident we will bring someone in, even moreso if we allow Bell to move on.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

There's nothing difficult about it, it's just a discussion and a difference in opinion. With Hopoate and Percival we're massively exposed to injury absences and don't have a winger to start with. We've never gone into a season without an established player in every position, Woolf confirmed we want to sign a winger, so did Wellens, so we keep discussing the options?
    Saints will be fully of aware of the injury problems though and unless Hopoate decides to hang up his boots, there's not alot we can do. We can't force him out when he's under contract and it's not something I would want us to do either. We're not Warrington, we don't do that to players, we support them and hopefully that will be repaid back next season.

The options discussed are mainly overseas players, but as I've already said we're maxed out. I'm sure if we had a quota spot, Saints will have gone to the NRL already and replaced Grace but unfortunately we don't have any spots left and there are no good British alternatives that are available sadly. If we were a year down the line I'm sure Murphy (who is out of contract at the end of 2023) would've been the player we'd have gone for.

Discussing options are fine but unless there is some flexibility with the quota spots or Saints are creative (maybe someone with British citizenship becomes available?) then they will keep their powder dry I think, knowing they have cap space should something they like comes up.

I'm not doubting we're short in the backline though, I agree, but don't fill it unnecessarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

I agree. I haven't said we should sign Evans, I didn't even watch the game last night. All I said was he doesn't need to improve, at 32 he could be given a 12 month contract.
    He’s played 4 games of professional rugby league (3 for Wakefield, 1 for Wales), there isn’t enough evidence to say ‘he doesnt need to improve’. We are basing this on his performance in a single game, i’m not saying we should or we shouldnt, i just think if we are going to sign someone they need to either improve us or be a project signing for a couple of years time, at 32 he doesnt fit in to the project signing option, so the question is would we be better with him in ahead of Hopoate or Bennison?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

That's the most important point right there. We're planning on putting the two players that will miss the most games through injury on the one side. I think we'll end up with Mata'utia and Bennison there for large chunks of the year and suffer continual disruption on that side

Very risky

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    He’s played 4 games of professional rugby league (3 for Wakefield, 1 for Wales), there isn’t enough evidence to say ‘he doesnt need to improve’. We are basing this on his performance in a single game, i’m not saying we should or we shouldnt, i just think if we are going to sign someone they need to either improve us or be a project signing for a couple of years time, at 32 he doesnt fit in to the project signing option, so the question is would we be better with him in ahead of Hopoate or Bennison?
    What I meant is we don't need to worry about the long term. If he's good enough to add to us, just give him a 12 month deal. I'm not saying he is, I've never seen him play.

My solution would be Nene Macdonald on a 12 month deal. Bell seems to be attacting a lot of interest and having a player that could cover centres and wing positions would be great.

If the Bell situation does develop as rumoured, Katoa, Mansour, Macdonald and Ritson would appear to be the options.

In The South Stand

What I meant is we don't need to worry about the long term. If he's good enough to add to us, just give him a 12 month deal. I'm not saying he is, I've never seen him play.

My solution would be Nene Macdonald on a 12 month deal. Bell seems to be attacting a lot of interest and having a player that could cover centres and wing positions would be great.

If the Bell situation does develop as rumoured, Katoa, Mansour, Macdonald and Ritson would appear to be the options.
    Ritson is lightning fast as we all know and i would like to seem him on the wing for us,but it would mean paying a fee for him and we don't do that very often. Also there is the question of how much he would want to be paid,IF as some people say,he has a well paid job and added to that whatever he is getting paid to play for Barrow,then we have to either match or most likely improve on that amount. You have to think that if he was on our radar that we would of signed him already.

Nene Macdonald i don't know much about,other than he is big and has NRL and some international experience,at 28 he is younger than a few of the other options and the fact he can cover more than one position is a plus.

Chances are though if we can free up a non fed spot then Mansour would be favourite due to his experience and availablity.

I think we may be looking at a 1 year deal for whoever we sign on the wing and hopefully trying to get Murphy when or if he becomes available.

As you say though it is all mostly dependent on the rumour Bell is moving on.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

One of our departures Josh Simm has moved over to Aus to play Queensland Cup. Good on him.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    That's the most important point right there. We're planning on putting the two players that will miss the most games through injury on the one side. I think we'll end up with Mata'utia and Bennison there for large chunks of the year and suffer continual disruption on that side

Very risky
    a) we dont really know what is going to happen with injuries, its entirely possible that Hopoate plays every game next year (I hope for his sake he does) and the cap means we cant hoard players on the off chance the first choice team get injured.

b) That being said, a winger/centre like Nene Macdonald gives us great depth and competitiveness amongst the backline, as it means we effectively have Hopoate, Bennison and Davies (in that order) outside of the first choice 17 who are experienced enough to not be a concern stepping in (I know Davies isnt everyones flavour of the month, but he was good at centre imo).

c) I still don't think anyone is planning anything at the moment. As has been reported the terminology is "comfortable". We were "comfortable" with the team we put out in the grandfinal, it doesn't mean if Dodd had been available we wouldn't have played him. The worst outcome is we tie ourselves to a mediocre player for multiple years because agents try and hold us over a barrel of "you must sign a winger" and thus all the noises from the club are going to try and counteract that so its a fair and reasonable negotiation.

In The West Stand

https://www.totalrl.com/catalans-dra...ague-signings/

Interesting development for Catalans - seems everyones looking for non-fed space at the moment...

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    https://www.totalrl.com/catalans-dra...ague-signings/

Interesting development for Catalans - seems everyones looking for non-fed space at the moment...
    Wonder what they will do if they get no takers for Napa ( who has looked awful ). Drinkwater will get picked up by someone due to his kicking alone. Mind you having said that if Josh Reynolds can get an NRL contract after his poor showing at Hull then there is hope for anyone.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Wonder what they will do if they get no takers for Napa ( who has looked awful ). Drinkwater will get picked up by someone due to his kicking alone. Mind you having said that if Josh Reynolds can get an NRL contract after his poor showing at Hull then there is hope for anyone.
    Drinkwater has been rumoured to be heading to Warrington for a while now.

I love this quote.

L’Independant has stated: “The management told Dylan Napa and Josh Drinkwater that they would not be retained despite a year of contract, which brings the number of departures to twelve pending the recruitment of three to four additional player.”

Why can't we do that. Such a simple way to manage players out of contract. If you tell them well enough that they're not being kept, they'll believe it.

In The South Stand

a) we dont really know what is going to happen with injuries, its entirely possible that Hopoate plays every game next year
    No, it's not. I would put my house on him not finishing a single full game for us.

In The South Stand

Drinkwater has been rumoured to be heading to Warrington for a while now.

I love this quote.

L’Independant has stated: “The management told Dylan Napa and Josh Drinkwater that they would not be retained despite a year of contract, which brings the number of departures to twelve pending the recruitment of three to four additional player.”

Why can't we do that. Such a simple way to manage players out of contract. If you tell them well enough that they're not being kept, they'll believe it.
    Could bite them on the arse though,might be legal issues,they might have to pay the contracts up to release them and that counts on the cap. Will players be less inclined to sign for them after this ? you would think probably. It's a big potential problem for them.

In The South Stand

Not sure it’s that big a deal at Catalans moving two players on. Not sure who would have them, mind.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Could bite them on the arse though,might be legal issues,they might have to pay the contracts up to release them and that counts on the cap. Will players be less inclined to sign for them after this ? you would think probably. It's a big potential problem for them.
    I may be wrong but french employment law is far looser in terms of contractual enforcements...

In The South Stand

I may be wrong but french employment law is far looser in terms of contractual enforcements...
    Not a clue about that kind of stuff at all and it could also be subject to European contract law. But i do think it could be bad for them. Reading the article it doesn't sound like a mutual release.

No, it's not. I would put my house on him not finishing a single full game for us.
    I have to agree with that.

The Tonga physios supposedly had a magic solution to get him fit , still not played. I doubt he will in the WC.

Signing two players with neither of them quick enough to cover wing was an issue.
    The injury curse then has left Saints trying to manage around ,
    someone with no pace who can;t get/stay fit.

He was the wrong signing which in effect his fitness doubled down on.

Makes you appreciate how good , resilient and versitile KevN was.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

If Bell does go, from those being talked about I would probably go with MacDonald. It's great having a flyer on the wing, but if none of those are likely then MacDonald would suit our style of play, carrying the ball back and finishing from 15 -20 mtrs out. Haven't really seen anything of Ritson, the guy from Barrow that kept saying he has a well paid job, I asked what is job is but he didn't know, so don't know if there is any truth in it.

Got A Season Ticket

Think Nene Macdonald would suit us to a t!