Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Saints Vs Catalan Semi Final

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Do we have the money to sack him? Especially after the season we have had? Unless Woolf gets offered another job, he'll be staying
    He will be given at least the duration of next season.

He will try to implement the same style with a freshened up pack & I daresay it will be more effective, simply because the forwards will have a bit more bite.

For me, the dismal challenge cup record since 2008 needs to be addressed. For us not to win that for 12 seasons is not good enough, new stadium or not

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Not sure, but would our budget have been planned with finishing top and winning the GF (and maybe the CC) in mind? We finished 16pts clear last season, and they talked about a new dynasty at the club. Doubt losing in the Cup, not finishing top and losing out in the Play-Offs would be their plan?
    You can't make a budget like that as there are so many things that can happen in pro sport. Mcmanus isn't stupid and would never budget that way.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    He will be given at least the duration of next season.

He will try to implement the same style with a freshened up pack & I daresay it will be more effective, simply because the forwards will have a bit more bite.

For me, the dismal challenge cup record since 2008 needs to be addressed. For us not to win that for 12 seasons is not good enough, new stadium or not
    Fastest way to get rid of Woolf would be to win the grand final this year. That would bring him to the attention of NRL clubs regardless of his style of play. If we don’t win it this year he likely won’t land an NRL gig for the 2022 season so he’ll stay here (trigger the 3rd year of his contract) for that season whether we win the lot in 2021 or not.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    You can't make a budget like that as there are so many things that can happen in pro sport. Mcmanus isn't stupid and would never budget that way.
    I think it’s what’s known in rugby league as the Bradford method.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Fastest way to get rid of Woolf would be to win the grand final this year. That would bring him to the attention of NRL clubs regardless of his style of play. If we don’t win it this year he likely won’t land an NRL gig for the 2022 season so he’ll stay here (trigger the 3rd year of his contract) for that season whether we win the lot in 2021 or not.
    I personally don't get why some fans want him gone already. Regardless of what happens on Friday, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for this season. The most important thing for me is, do the players want to play for him? Atm they do, so given the very exceptional circumstances this year, I'm reserving judgement until next season.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Doesn't Langi play on their left? He isn't going to move Naiqama after him being there all season. Plus, why are people talking about Peyroux as though he is a really solid defensive player? I seem to recall him having some positional howlers when defending at centre. He's certainly no stronger than Naiqama in that department.
    No but he is certainly stronger than Welsby at centre.I would also bet my house that he would make a lot more yards with the ball also.No brainer for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I think it’s what’s known in rugby league as the Bradford method.

It was the Wigan method of cheating pal. One CC defeat at Salford brought the house down. Skid Row.

Learning All The Songs

Oh ye of little faith. We have a plan B and C for that matter.
    If the forwards are not making the hard yards then Theo has been instructed to kick high to their left winger, it will be too long for Tommy to get a challenge in but they have to bring the ball out moving it left to right which we all know nobody can pass left to right.
    The plan C is similar only with Welsby at prop.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintnickle View Post
    No but he is certainly stronger than Welsby at centre.I would also bet my house that he would make a lot more yards with the ball also.No brainer for me.
    I'd personally go with Simm at left centre as he is simply the better centre out of everyone available for that position, Peyroux and Welsby included.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I'd personally go with Simm at left centre as he is simply the natural centre out of everyone available for that position, Peyroux and Welsby included.
    Post edited for accuracy

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I'd personally go with Simm at left centre as he is simply the better centre out of everyone available for that position, Peyroux and Welsby included.
    I'd let you pick the team.

Starting A Programme Collection

I personally don't get why some fans want him gone already. Regardless of what happens on Friday, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for this season. The most important thing for me is, do the players want to play for him? Atm they do, so given the very exceptional circumstances this year, I'm reserving judgement until next season.
    They've no real choice given they're on professional contracts. I wonder if you would be that confident of their position though if hypothetically they could secretly choose between KW and another option - say Watson - without compromising their place in his current team? You can't tell me they're enjoying themselves. I dread to think what training is like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our best way of defending their set piece kick is by keeping them away from our 20 altogether. If we are squeaky clean in terms of no mistakes and no set restarts then they shouldn't get too many opportunities in our danger zone to kick for Folau.
    We will not be able to keep them out of our 20. If we make no mistakes and no set restarts we will beat them, win the Gf and the WCC. But I agree, lack of errors will be key to us winning.

They will get into our 20, there is no doubt about that. Our best bet is putting pressure on the kicker and not challenging Folau, our wide men aren't as big as him. Either Taia does a good enough job to legally block him, or we have 3/4 players around him as soon as his feet touch the floor
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    We will not be able to keep them out of our 20. If we make no mistakes and no set restarts we will beat them, win the Gf and the WCC. But I agree, lack of errors will be key to us winning.
    I obviously don't mean we can keep them out of our 20 for the full game. Perhaps I should have said minimise their time down our end by being disciplined and mistake free.

I obviously don't mean we can keep them out of our 20 for the full game. Perhaps I should have said minimise their time down our end by being disciplined and mistake free.
    I was just joking

I was just joking
    Haha just thought I'd clarify my comment anyway!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Maybe I didn't word it properly, sorry. I wasn't expecting us to have only budgeted accordingly for winning everything. I meant, looking at last season's form and this talk of a potential new dynasty with the kids coming through, they probably wouldn't have banked on us losing in the Cup Semi, throwing away 1st place in the last 2 games of the season and now going into the Play-Offs on a losing streak.

Got A Season Ticket

At least we know how Catalans will be approaching the game, considering McNamara's comments on the Tomkins, and McIlorum incident.

"Reflecting on Tomkins’ challenge, McNamara said: “There is nothing in that! And in terms of Michael McIlorum, I did get asked on Sky about the incidents, which I was not sure what they were talking about.

“If you are talking about that then, well, this is not semi-final football without maybe a high tackle so, for me, I have no concerns.”"

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    They've no real choice given they're on professional contracts. I wonder if you would be that confident of their position though if hypothetically they could secretly choose between KW and another option - say Watson - without compromising their place in his current team? You can't tell me they're enjoying themselves. I dread to think what training is like.

Well, seeing as we're not at training, that's not something we can comment about. We do see them during matches and their commitment to each other, is a lot better than it was under Cunningham (only comparing to KC, because a lot of posters have). Professional or not, if they didn't want to play for Woolf, their commitment wouldn't be there in defence. Although I do concede that they did look like they enjoy their rugby more, under Holbrook.

Again, I believe, because of COVID, we can't compare. The training is completely different because of restrictions. The players and their families have been in lockdown, recuded wages etc all these things will have played with their mental health and their enjoyment of the game. Given the circumstances, I think the players do seem very committed to Woolf

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Oh ye of little faith. We have a plan B and C for that matter.
    If the forwards are not making the hard yards then Theo has been instructed to kick high to their left winger, it will be too long for Tommy to get a challenge in but they have to bring the ball out moving it left to right which we all know nobody can pass left to right.
    The plan C is similar only with Welsby at prop.
    You've made me smile but only for the reason that it could truly happen

Quote Originally Posted by LaVenRouge View Post
    At least we know how Catalans will be approaching the game, considering McNamara's comments on the Tomkins, and McIlorum incident.

"Reflecting on Tomkins’ challenge, McNamara said: “There is nothing in that! And in terms of Michael McIlorum, I did get asked on Sky about the incidents, which I was not sure what they were talking about.

“If you are talking about that then, well, this is not semi-final football without maybe a high tackle so, for me, I have no concerns.”"
    Yes but there are high tackles when the player is ducking or falling or a lazy arm. Totally different to a stiff arm with a fist. Maybe he is trying to influence the disciplinary?

Got A Season Ticket

Yes but there are high tackles when the player is ducking or falling or a lazy arm. Totally different to a stiff arm with a fist. Maybe he is trying to influence the disciplinary?
    It does sound like he is trying to pull the whole "come on, it isn't tiddlywinks" argument.

Interesting that there has been no announcement from the disciplinary panel yet, I thought they usually announced the charges on Monday morning

I thought they usually announced the charges on Monday morning
    They do. They'll be combing through their records for the past 50 years to try and find a way of justifying bottling it and letting them both off.

Banned

He should be banned from giving interviews that fella, makes an absolute cock of himself every time he's asked a question. He seems to go into some sort of acting class whenever a camera is near him; his storming out of a press conference when England coach and failing to open the door properly was the pinnacle.

In The West Stand

Two grade F’s for Tomkins and mcIlorum, with an additional 1 game for the latter

https://www.rugby-league.com/article...h-review-panel