Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Lockdown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I stand to be corrected but didn't the council vote to become part of an enlarged Merseyside entity a few years ago, six separate boroughs all agreeing to be an enlarged political group with a Merseyside mayor in charge. Were the local electorate given a vote to confirm this, I honestly can't remember, but If we did, I know what I would have voted! As a result of our local council kowtowing to Liverpool, it looks like we may be in lockdown for six months. This isn't a party political moan, it's just that I would like to remain a woolyback not a scouser

Banned

We wheren't asked to vote think it was when Barry Grumbleweed was in charge

Learning All The Songs

I stand to be corrected but didn't the council vote to become part of an enlarged Merseyside entity a few years ago, six separate boroughs all agreeing to be an enlarged political group with a Merseyside mayor in charge. Were the local electorate given a vote to confirm this, I honestly can't remember, but If we did, I know what I would have voted! As a result of our local council kowtowing to Liverpool, it looks like we may be in lockdown for six months. This isn't a party political moan, it's just that I would like to remain a woolyback not a scouser
    We were not allowed to vote on this, and I see you use that (Ahem) ‘term of endearment’ that scousers call us, which basically accuses us of being sheep sh*g*rs. Such a lovely term from a supposedly inclusive and friendly people.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    We were not allowed to vote on this, and I see you use that (Ahem) ‘term of endearment’ that scousers call us, which basically accuses us of being sheep sh*g*rs. Such a lovely term from a supposedly inclusive and friendly people.
    Not to get all culturally accurately on you but, woolyback refers to the workers, mainly from Lancashire who loaded bales of wool at the docks. Their backs picked up flecks of wool hence the name.
    If Scousers wanted to call us sheep Sh***ers they would.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Not to get all culturally accurately on you but, woolyback refers to the workers, mainly from Lancashire who loaded bales of wool at the docks. Their backs picked up flecks of wool hence the name.
    So why use it for people from St Helens? No texile mills etc round here -bulit on the chemical and Mineing industries nothing whatsoever to do with farming/textiles. Growning up in the 70's and 80's you were left with no iluusion what that deroagtory term meant. Try going for a drink in liverpool during that time and talk with flat vowels and not getting you head kicked in.

The narritive you state was only suggested in the past 10-20 years once liverpool wanted to be friendly city. Oh and to get culturally accuarte it was Yorkshire that was the woolen area, Lancashire was cotton. Oh and Why would only people with lanschire accents just load bales of wool, if they were dock workers surely they would load everything and anything.

It alway has been a derogatory term.

Banned

So why use it for people from St Helens? No texile mills etc round here -bulit on the chemical and Mineing industries nothing whatsoever to do with farming/textiles. Growning up in the 70's and 80's you were left with no iluusion what that deroagtory term meant. Try going for a drink in liverpool during that time and talk with flat vowels and not getting you head kicked in.

The narritive you state was only suggested in the past 10-20 years once liverpool wanted to be friendly city. Oh and to get culturally accuarte it was Yorkshire that was the woolen area, Lancashire was cotton. Oh and Why would only people with lanschire accents just load bales of wool, if they were dock workers surely they would load everything and anything.

It alway has been a derogatory term.
    Scousers have a superiority complex when in reality a lot of them are malnourished, badly dressed clowns with a chip on their shoulder. I've even had it at Everton.

That said, I know plenty of scousers who are good people but I certainly don't go in for this jovial, happy go lucky, great sense of humour bullshit.

Starting A Programme Collection

Sorry but you're wrong, you can check it out if you want to, but the term was initially used to describe farm labourers who used to carry wooden bales prior to the industrial revolution, and then went on to be used as casual labour on the docks, particularly Garston when they covered their backs with woolen sacking as they carried bags of coal onto tenders, my great grandfather was one who went from being an agricultural worker in St Helens to a casual dock worker in Garston Docks. I suspect I've got exactly the same opinion as you about a lot of scousers but the ones I used to work with always used the term as gentle ribbing under the understanding that was the reason, youre probably right to say some of them may use that term as an insult, just as I occassionaly call them a load of self pitying thieving lazy b.......s just in jest of course, anyway at least this banter takes the mind slightly off the miserable time were all going through
    Last edited by Woolyback; 12th October 2020 at 09:44.

Banned

The Merseyside concept in 1974 went right to the edge for St Helens I don't think the Council really wanted it. The outcome created a Borough Council which encompassed NLW and the Parish areas of Billinge, Rainford and Rainhill which gave them some higher rateable houses, bigger population and more money I guess. The people never had a vote in 1974.

To be honest losing Lancashire hurt so many people in the Towns and not just us, Southport lost even its name in the council context. Bolton became part of Greater Manchester that was really naughty. Liverpool City Region which is recent, that fat lump of lard in charge of the council at the time would have renamed us east Liverpool. Still he fell off his throne and should be off the council next time. Lockdown its ideology like closing the pits, it's the start of breaking us.

Banned

Sorry but you're wrong, you can check it out if you want to, but the term was initially used to describe farm labourers who used to carry wooden bales prior to the industrial revolution, and then went on to be used as casual labour on the docks. I suspect I've got exactly the same opinion as you about a lot of scousers but the ones I used to work with always used the term as gentle ribbing under the understanding that was the reason, youre probably right to say some of them may use that term as an insult, just as I occassionaly call them a load of self pitying thieving lazy b.......s just in jest of course, anyway at least this banter takes the mind slightly off the miserable time were all going through
    The alternative explanation (the one I was always told) was that it comes from the coalmen who'd deliver coal to Liverpool on carts, from the neighbouring mining towns. To give some protection when carrying the sacks, they'd wear sheepskin fleeces over their shoulders (fur on the inside)

As for the Liverpool City Region, the first moves towards this were made in the late 00's. The aim of regional mayors heading a collective of local authorities was to try to move away from local authorities scrapping between each other to only look after their own interests, and rather work together for a 'common good' for the wider area. They were formally brought in during the 10's, and the government of the day offered small bungs to local authorities to sign-up to city-regions, and the city regions got some devolved powers. And let's face it, given the size of Liverpool, it dominates the area anyway. The LCR concept at least imposes a requirement to give each of the 6 local authority members an equal right and say - something that without the LCR wouldn't happen.

Saying that, the LCR concept is working against us for these new Covid restrictions. Liverpool and Knowsley both have cases above 600 per 100,000. The other LCR authorities have the number in the 300's. Warrington and West Lancs local authorities also have cases in the 300's but are to be excluded. It's just lazy to say "all the LCR is to go into tier 3" whilst ignoring Warrington & West Lancs (or perhaps it's not laziness and it's something else - one of the Warrington MP's and the West Lancs MP are Tories)

Learning All The Songs

And West Lancs is a marginal, of course its political we are tenth so why aren’t the other nine regions gong I tier 3, would the presence of Tory MPs be a factor. Vote Tory or we will completely trash you economy.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

And West Lancs is a marginal, of course its political we are tenth so why aren’t the other nine regions gong I tier 3, would the presence of Tory MPs be a factor. Vote Tory or we will completely trash you economy.
    I've not seen the details yet, are the doing it on political boundaries or Area Health Authorities.

Throughout this year the rates for St Helens & Knowsley AHA have always painted a darker picture than St Helens as a town

Got A Season Ticket

The same could be said for towns and cities all over the north and midlands with Tory MPs

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Well folks pubs are shutting again. For those whose only outlet is to watch RL out of their homes it's gone. I can still go and eat in an Indian or Turkish Gaff and have 10 pints before 10 PM.
    Just read that there is a rumour going around of the possibility that pubs that serve "table meals" may be allowed to stay open, seems a bit unfair if that is the case, does that mean a group of people can go to somewhere like the Gerard, order a portion of chips each and carry on as normal, I've yet to be convinced that closing pubs is the right thing to do, but If it is this seems to defeat the object while social clubs which are usually owned by their members and bars usually one man/woman businesses have to close and possibly go out of business while big corporate breweries can carry on
    Last edited by Woolyback; 12th October 2020 at 11:15.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    The alternative explanation (the one I was always told) was that it comes from the coalmen who'd deliver coal to Liverpool on carts, from the neighbouring mining towns. To give some protection when carrying the sacks, they'd wear sheepskin fleeces over their shoulders (fur on the inside)

As for the Liverpool City Region, the first moves towards this were made in the late 00's. The aim of regional mayors heading a collective of local authorities was to try to move away from local authorities scrapping between each other to only look after their own interests, and rather work together for a 'common good' for the wider area. They were formally brought in during the 10's, and the government of the day offered small bungs to local authorities to sign-up to city-regions, and the city regions got some devolved powers. And let's face it, given the size of Liverpool, it dominates the area anyway. The LCR concept at least imposes a requirement to give each of the 6 local authority members an equal right and say - something that without the LCR wouldn't happen.

Saying that, the LCR concept is working against us for these new Covid restrictions. Liverpool and Knowsley both have cases above 600 per 100,000. The other LCR authorities have the number in the 300's. Warrington and West Lancs local authorities also have cases in the 300's but are to be excluded. It's just lazy to say "all the LCR is to go into tier 3" whilst ignoring Warrington & West Lancs (or perhaps it's not laziness and it's something else - one of the Warrington MP's and the West Lancs MP are Tories)
    The West Lancs MP is Rosie Cooper, who is Labour, and with a majority of 8,000, it's hardly marginal

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    The Merseyside concept in 1974 went right to the edge for St Helens I don't think the Council really wanted it. The outcome created a Borough Council which encompassed NLW and the Parish areas of Billinge, Rainford and Rainhill which gave them some higher rateable houses, bigger population and more money I guess. The people never had a vote in 1974.

To be honest losing Lancashire hurt so many people in the Towns and not just us, Southport lost even its name in the council context. Bolton became part of Greater Manchester that was really naughty. Liverpool City Region which is recent, that fat lump of lard in charge of the council at the time would have renamed us east Liverpool. Still he fell off his throne and should be off the council next time. Lockdown its ideology like closing the pits, it's the start of breaking us.
    I shouldn’t really be bothered because of where I live but I hate the destruction of Lancashire, with people in Warrington and Widnes saying that they live in Cheshire and the awful Merseyside and Cumbria names being enforced by the Post Office and BBC.

The Post Office allowed towns in Greater Manchester to retain Lancashire as a postal address. I had a business in Bury until 1989 and the address was always Lancashire.

It’s galling that Yorkshire was allowed to keep its name even though divided into new component parts and that Westmorland subsists as a Parliamentary constituency. They could have easily made the divisions North Lancashire, South West Lancashire and South East Lancashire. The Liverpool City Region now means that the media just lump St Helens and Southport in as “Liverpool”.

When people say they live in Cheshire, Merseyside and Cumbria when they are from places within the County Palatine Of Lancashire I often feel like asking what county cricket team they support.

Banned

Just read that there is a rumour going around of the possibility that pubs that serve "table meals" may be allowed to stay open, seems a bit unfair if that is the case, does that mean a group of people can go to somewhere like the Gerard, order a portion of chips each and carry on as normal, I've yet to be convinced that closing pubs is the right thing to do, but If it is this seems to defeat the object while social clubs and bars have to close
    And this is what I was getting at yesterday, they need to be strong and stop allowing all these loop holes to be exploited. Would it be annoying? Yes. Would it work? Probably not. But at least we'd know where we stand.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    The West Lancs MP is Rosie Cooper, who is Labour, and with a majority of 8,000, it's hardly marginal
    My mistake

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I shouldn’t really be bothered because of where I live but I hate the destruction of Lancashire, with people in Warrington and Widnes saying that they live in Cheshire and the awful Merseyside and Cumbria names being enforced by the Post Office and BBC.

The Post Office allowed towns in Greater Manchester to retain Lancashire as a postal address. I had a business in Bury until 1989 and the address was always Lancashire.

It’s galling that Yorkshire was allowed to keep its name even though divided into new component parts and that Westmorland subsists as a Parliamentary constituency. They could have easily made the divisions North Lancashire, South West Lancashire and South East Lancashire. The Liverpool City Region now means that the media just lump St Helens and Southport in as “Liverpool”.

When people say they live in Cheshire, Merseyside and Cumbria when they are from places within the County Palatine Of Lancashire I often feel like asking what county cricket team they support.

I've always struggled to get in any way animated on this topic. I just don't think it's important whatsoever what the wider area/region is called.

Got A Replica Shirt St Christopher's Avatar

The few pubs and club that I've been in since the last lockdown have done their absolute best to comply with all the conditions as have the vast majority of customers, I just hope that if St Helens figures improve we won't have to wait for the Liverpool City Centre figures to also improve because the mass testing of the students mean that won't be any time soon, probably a short reprieve in December, I really hope I'm wrong. That's the problem with our borough politicians deciding to link with Liverpool
    'Lots of experts on this thread but Liverpool's figures are pretty irrelevant now considering St Helens has some of the worst levels of increasing new COVID cases in the North. Everyone wants to blame someone else but I fear as a country the UK is a disunited shambles. Poor leadership at all levels, dreadful communications and a widespread poor attitude by too many people (not all) to accepting rules and restraint for the common good.

https://www.wigantoday.net/health/co...2-2020-2441433

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Spot on, the Lancs lads got the worst jobs which were at the bottom so got showered with everything falling from above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by St Christopher View Post
    'Lots of experts on this thread but Liverpool's figures are pretty irrelevant now considering St Helens has some of the worst levels of increasing new COVID cases in the North. Everyone wants to blame someone else but I fear as a country the UK is a disunited shambles. Poor leadership at all levels, dreadful communications and a widespread poor attitude by too many people (not all) to accepting rules and restraint for the common good.

https://www.wigantoday.net/health/co...2-2020-2441433
    I understand that we have high level but what did the last total lockdown actually achieve, if 3months down the line we are in the same position.it was supposed to buy time to get testing and tracking in place, instead it was used to line the pockets of Tory friends.

If you believe the figures of £10bilion on the testing and track and trace, how far would that money have gone in improving the hospitals, care homes etc,but that would have been for the good of the plebs not the Tory friends.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

The term "scouser" is also related to the poorer people of Liverpool /Birkenhead, regarding the meal "scouse" as it was seen as a relatively cheap meal for the poorer folk to make.

I'm from Liverpool, proud of it, but never really related to either of the two clubs, Liv/Eve. Brought up a red but as I grew older I just couldnt be bothered with the nonsense surrounding it.

What I will say is, ive been to both Liverpool city centre and St Helens town centre recently and hand on heart can say that theres an equal ammount of people following guidelines and not following guidelines. Nothing to do with Merseyside/Lancashire boundaries.

Just read that there is a rumour going around of the possibility that pubs that serve "table meals" may be allowed to stay open, seems a bit unfair if that is the case, does that mean a group of people can go to somewhere like the Gerard, order a portion of chips each and carry on as normal, I've yet to be convinced that closing pubs is the right thing to do, but If it is this seems to defeat the object while social clubs which are usually owned by their members and bars usually one man/woman businesses have to close and possibly go out of business while big corporate breweries can carry on
    I've seen this with the explanation that sit down meal pubs generally attract older customers while other 'drink only' smart type bars attract the under 30's. Not saying it's true but it would be a very blunt tool if true. There's a legal challenge being heard on Thursday headed by Mcr night time economy bloke Sacha something is his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    My mistake
    West Lancs includes Edge Hill Uni & Skelmersdale both relatively big numbers compared with the semi rural alternatives.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    Spot on, the Lancs lads got the worst jobs which were at the bottom so got showered with everything falling from above.

Worth noting that back in those days, there wasn't a Scouse accent - or at least nothing as pronounced as now. It was apparently very similar to the SW Lancashire accent, albeit with a little more Welsh influence. When the big Irish immigration happened in the 19th century, the merging of the two accents produced a milder Scouse accent. Listen to the accents of the 50's and 60's (in fact, listen to the accents of the Beatles back then) and it's a far softer accent with still traces of Lancashire mixed in. In north Liverpool/Bootle, where there was a heavier concentration of Irish descendants, the accent was harsher/thicker. It's only when 'Scousedom' became a popular thing that people would amplify the harshness of their accent to be more Scouse. This was especially prevalent in the new-town estates in places like Skem, Runcorn, Winsford, Kirkby, Maghull, Huyton, Prescot, Whiston, etc that were built to house Liverpool people moved out during wholesale slum clearance programmes. The people who moved there - and especially their kids - would amplify their Scouse accents to 'prove' their Scouseness. And that is where we are now, with the phlegm-ridden harsh accent.