Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Every game matters...?

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    I know this may sound silly, but i personally think winning the grand final holds more prestige than the cc final
    Challenge Cup for tradition, SL for importance in my opinion
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Quote Originally Posted by kentishbarry View Post
    maybe we should ask if we can be posthumously awarded the challenge cup?
    lol!
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Challenge Cup for tradition, SL for importance in my opinion
    Same here, the importance of the cup has declined massively over recent years. If I had to pick between the two I’d much rather win the Grand Final as being the champions beats being the cup winners every time. The team who win the Grand Final this year (unless it is Warrington) will be the ones remembered as the top side more than Warrington.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    And after you’ve died......

“Karl Jochen Rindt was a German-born racing driver who represented Austria during his career. In 1970, he was killed during practice for the Italian Grand Prix and became the only driver to be posthumously awarded the Formula One World Drivers' Championship”
    And they forced his widow to collect the trophy and pose for pictures literally days after he died

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

So being bottom would be more interesting than being top and guaranteed 2 attempts to get to a GF?

I’d wager any team in SL (and their supporters!) would swap places with us right now!
    I'm not saying that I'd swap the situations, but the reality is that being at the bottom would get the adrenaline pumping every week as opposed to being able to have a snooze for 29 rounds before waking up when it mattered.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

What if...(in A parallel universe). Feb to Sept/Oct season

SUPER LEAGUE
    14 team league. Straight home & away. 1st place are champions.
    Another cup competition is brought in (say the Elite Level Trophy) or something. Challenge Cup & Grand Final Winners get a by through to the next round. As 14 teams to make the next round the 8. If same winner go off league positions. Final in June. All SL teams enter Challenge Cup at same time a round earlier. Final is last game of season late Sept/early Oct. Bottom 2 relegated.

CHAMPIONSHIP
    Bottom 2 relegated to League 1. Top of the league champions & promoted. Next promotion spot goes to winner of the following play off format.
    2nd place plays winner of an eliminator of 3rd v 4th.
    Also the league has its own cup competition with a mid summer final.

LEAGUE 1.
    Obviously the relegation scenario most likely off the table but bar that, exactly the same as the Championship.

For season tickets, you have the option of just league, league & one cup or league & both cups. An opt in system if you like.

Dunno what the thoughts are but I'm trying ha ha

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    What if...(in A parallel universe). Feb to Sept/Oct season

SUPER LEAGUE
    14 team league. Straight home & away. 1st place are champions.
    Another cup competition is brought in (say the Elite Level Trophy) or something. Challenge Cup & Grand Final Winners get a by through to the next round. As 14 teams to make the next round the 8. If same winner go off league positions. Final in June. All SL teams enter Challenge Cup at same time a round earlier. Final is last game of season late Sept/early Oct. Bottom 2 relegated.

CHAMPIONSHIP
    Bottom 2 relegated to League 1. Top of the league champions & promoted. Next promotion spot goes to winner of the following play off format.
    2nd place plays winner of an eliminator of 3rd v 4th.
    Also the league has its own cup competition with a mid summer final.

LEAGUE 1.
    Obviously the relegation scenario most likely off the table but bar that, exactly the same as the Championship.

For season tickets, you have the option of just league, league & one cup or league & both cups. An opt in system if you like.

Dunno what the thoughts are but I'm trying ha ha
    Great idea bit far to sensanble for it to happen

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

It may be nostalgia, it may be a rose-tinted view of my youth, but the system we had when I was growing up has IMO never been beaten in the 20-odd years since Super League came about.

14 team league, 26 game league season, team at top is Champions.
    Top 8 Premiership comp at the end of the season, final at Old Trafford.

I accept that the JPS/Regal Trophy and the County Cups fell by the wayside for a decent reason, but the rest of it was great in my opinion. League games were important, the Cup was massive because it gave teams out of the title race another goal to go for half way through the season, and the Premiership was a decent little comp at the end of the season which clubs took pretty seriously. It gave the reward of a home QF for finishing Top 4 and gave the reward of a chance of a trophy for those who finished Top 8.

In many seasons Saints priorities as the season went on were as follows...
    Try and win the league
    League is not do-able, prioritise the Cup
    We've been knocked out of the Cup, get a Top 4 spot for a Premiership Home QF

It all tied in for me, and the current format just doesn't match up. League games are diluted, the Cup has been talked down over many years by the broadcasters of the league, and the season drifts for long periods because games just aren't as important IMO.

I don't think I feel any differently about Saints now than I did in the mid 80s when I started following them. They're my hometown club, I love them, and they are a part of my life that I will never let go. But back in the day I'd look forward to games all week. I'd be gutted when we lost a league game, I'd be delighted when we won one. The league table and upcoming fixtures were obsessed over, and Cup games were big things. Now, I'm annoyed a bit when we lose a league game, and I don't go overboard when we win games because I know they don't actually help us win anything unless we get it done in Sept/Oct.

My feelings towards Saints haven't changed, but my feelings towards the game have.

Noooobie

How about simply crowning the League winners as champions.
    Super league champions play NRL champions in a grand final.

I personally like the Grand final as an event but it does detract from being the best team over the season, which is the harder achievement.

That said though, as a previous posted said, the format is known so we should learn to play the system.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    It may be nostalgia, it may be a rose-tinted view of my youth, but the system we had when I was growing up has IMO never been beaten in the 20-odd years since Super League came about.

I accept that the JPS/Regal Trophy and the County Cups fell by the wayside for a decent reason, but the rest of it was great in my opinion. League games were important, the Cup was massive because it gave teams out of the title race another goal to go for half way through the season, and the Premiership was a decent little comp at the end of the season which clubs took pretty seriously. It gave the reward of a home QF for finishing Top 4 and gave the reward of a chance of a trophy for those who finished Top 8.

Try and win the league

It all tied in for me, and the current format just doesn't match up. League games are diluted, the Cup has been talked down over many years by the broadcasters of the league, and the season drifts for long periods because games just aren't as important IMO.

I don't think I feel any differently about Saints now than I did in the mid 80s when I started following them. They're my hometown club, I love them, and they are a part of my life that I will never let go. But back in the day I'd look forward to games all week. I'd be gutted when we lost a league game, I'd be delighted when we won one. The league table and upcoming fixtures were obsessed over, and Cup games were big things. Now, I'm annoyed a bit when we lose a league game, and I don't go overboard when we win games because I know they don't actually help us win anything unless we get it done in Sept/Oct.

My feelings towards Saints haven't changed, but my feelings towards the game have.
    Great post, sums my feelings up very well.

Never forget that without Murdoch’s money and Sky, there’d never have been NRL or Superleague and IF the game was still around in this country, we would be semi-pro (at best) playing at Knowsley Road. There’d be hardly any new fans coming through, the good young players would have gone to kick and clap and the sport would probably be eaten up by Union....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs

Try and win the league

If only. I still get excited watching Meninga v Hull KR.

Never forget that without Murdoch’s money and Sky, there’d never have been NRL or Superleague and IF the game was still around in this country, we would be semi-pro (at best) playing at Knowsley Road. There’d be hardly any new fans coming through, the good young players would have gone to kick and clap and the sport would probably be eaten up by Union....
    And the same corporation is playing a massive part in making the sport look daft. Needs a complete fresh look this sport & it's structure.

Next season I'm really tempted just to rock up in September. Then the Aussie team tour. Rest of it is becoming a training run

Great post by Gray. I know this season is a bit of an anomaly in that it’s been a one horse race for the ‘league’, but in most years there could be 2-4 teams in the running. You hear the argument for the play offs keeping the season alive for more clubs but only 4 teams have ever won it in 20 odd years of grand finals and 1 of them isn’t even there anymore. In fact more have won the shield

Banned

They're not exactly making us look great at the moment are they? There's hardly any new fans anyway and most of the current ones don't have a clue.

Oh to be playing at Knowsley Road again.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    And the same corporation is playing a massive part in making the sport look daft. Needs a complete fresh look this sport & it's structure.

Next season I'm really tempted just to rock up in September. Then the Aussie team tour. Rest of it is becoming a training run
    And a major reason the same corporation fronted up big money in the UK in the first place was because they wanted to win the war against the old ARL in Australia and isolate them as much as possible. It always makes me laugh when people present SKY as some kind of Samaritan group. They never have been and never will be. They've taken advantage as weak leadership at the RFL down the years and the sport has been made ot look successively daft. Its almost as if we're the 'soft lad' for any SKY gimmick they want to trial.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    And a major reason the same corporation fronted up big money in the UK in the first place was because they wanted to win the war against the old ARL in Australia and isolate them as much as possible. It always makes me laugh when people present SKY as some kind of Samaritan group. They never have been and never will be. They've taken advantage as weak leadership at the RFL down the years and the sport has been made ot look successively daft. Its almost as if we're the 'soft lad' for any SKY gimmick they want to trial.

Put it much better than I could have there

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Murdoch and Packer, two name always associated with benevolence.

They’re a business and they only do something for their own advantage.

Don’t let my statement make you think I feel that they did it for our benefit, as I’m not presenting them as the Samaritans you mention but the knock on effect of SKY money is that we are still around....... like it or not!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Try and win the league

Totally agree with this. Add to that the decreasing intensity of passion for derby games v Wigan as we can play them multiple times during the season and there we have it

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    I liked the fact after the game on sky phil Clarke and barrie mcdermott both predicted a Saints vWigan gf
    They may be right the way Hull are inconsistent and Wire have been losing (except for last Sat). I have never known Clarke be so complementary toward Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    They may be right the way Hull are inconsistent and Wire have been losing (except for last Sat). I have never known Clarke be so complementary toward Saints.
    I’m not sure Wire will have enough left in the tank, they may prove me wrong but they seem to have put everything into winning the cup. Wigan look the steadiest team but Salford could surprise a few especially if they get a home tie

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Almost every sport is decided by a play off system.

How can you be European Champions at football when you are only 2nd or 3rd in your own league, and could finish 2nd in the group stages? Same applies to the World Cup in both football and Cricket. You can become Olympic Champion but not win any of the heats.

We've had a play off system in R.L. or the majority of it's existence.

Everyone knows the format, let's just get on with it and stop moaning.
    In football Pretty much every domestic championship in the world is a league system

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I’m not sure Wire will have enough left in the tank, they may prove me wrong but they seem to have put everything into winning the cup. Wigan look the steadiest team but Salford could surprise a few especially if they get a home tie
    I would love to see salford get to the GF; as long as it's not at our expense.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

The only thing is, if Salford got to the final how many fans would they take? But I also would like to see a different team get there.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.