Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bleating on to the RFL - Embarrassing

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Spot on. I'm sick of officials making "mistakes" that result in us being put on the back foot in big games earning us the unwanted and undeserved "choker" tag from some "fans". You can call the team for everything but at the end of the day an 18 point swing when you've played your hearts out, your plan worked (except you've had two tries disallowed and a scrum given against you which was a knock on by Wire which resulted in a Wire try) and it's your first time at Wembley and the ref has made three glaring errors against you in thirty odd minutes, you're going to start to lose the plot. You can't beat the ref! About time the appalling officiating was questioned.
    We’ve had a few over the years. Saturday, Cas semi in 2017, Wire Playoff Semi 16 and I’m sure there was something the year before at Leeds in the play off semi. We are definitely due some luck with the officials in a big game.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 53wharty90 View Post
    We’ve had a few over the years. Saturday, Cas semi in 2017, Wire Playoff Semi 16 and I’m sure there was something the year before at Leeds in the play off semi. We are definitely due some luck with the officials in a big game.
    The Ryan Hall 'try' with the ball on his finger pointing to the sky.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Lineham should have had a try. Let’s not forget how bad he was for both teams.
    That was only because he knew he had completely ****ed up for Knowles' try. Now you can try and say that evens it up, but it doesn't. The mental impact of that first refused try sets the stage for the game, puts us on the back foot and gives Wire a big lift. Downplay it all you want but EVERY poor decision has an impact on a game and the combination of them in a short space of time deflated us and boosted Wire massively. By the time we got to the Lineham refused try the damage was done and they were in a mental position that they could shrug it off far more easily.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    The Ryan Hall 'try' with the ball on his finger pointing to the sky.
    Ah yes I remember that one now... we’ve had some corkers! No wonder the games dying.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    So, we’ve made an official complaint to the RFL about Robert Hicks’ performance.
    Err, no we haven't. Next.

Tom Lineham bouncing one down in the corner & Peyroux clearly grounding the ball a few years back at Warrington

If we didn’t make an official enquiry asking for an explanation then the whole thing would be blissfully ignored by the RFL and Hicks would go on officiating Super League games without ever being held to account for making a monumental blunder in a major final.

Upside
    Non Members

I don't mind us asking some questions but don't think it should be public, just puts refs under more pressure and invites others to have a go also
    He made a bad error, he will feel very bad about it, embarrassed and will no doubt question himself, what explanation do we expect? I don't recal the players asking the question or celebrating it, nobody there knew it was even a chance, it was all a bit odd.
    im sure it would have made a difference but no guarantee of success for us and the remaining 77 minutes saw warrington do a job on us

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    If we didn’t make an official enquiry asking for an explanation then the whole thing would be blissfully ignored by the RFL and Hicks would go on officiating Super League games without ever being held to account for making a monumental blunder in a major final.
    I'm sure they address performance regularly, just because they don't make public their private conversations just like any other job we shouldn't assume it doesn't happen

As regards dropping refs for errors we need s bigger pool, but tbh they will always make errors so we would be swapping each week

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I'm sure they address performance regularly, just because they don't make public their private conversations just like any other job we shouldn't assume it doesn't happen

As regards dropping refs for errors we need s bigger pool, but tbh they will always make errors so we would be swapping each week

In The South Stand

I totally get why we'd ask for clarification on how that game was refereed. Even for Hicks as an individual that performance was completely different to how he's refereed previously. I get that he was trying to have an open game so was reluctant to give penalties, but it was a poor showing from him generally. The lack of a referral for the try was just wrong, as was at least the method of the restart for Percival's.

What I don't get is why this is being made public? Surely we could have raised our concerns, spoke to the RFL and Hicks and done all this behind closed doors?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post

His error should mean no more finals until he's proven himself worthy for a suitable period.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    His error should mean no more finals until he's proven himself worthy for a suitable period.

How do you measure a refs performance? The losing teams view of the ref? The amount of emotional outbursts? Or a rationale considered objective review by peers?
    How long does he have to prove himself for?

Do the players who made errors have to sit out all finals until they have proved themselves or are theirs just put down to human error in s big game?

I don't mind us asking some questions but don't think it should be public, just puts refs under more pressure and invites others to have a go also
    He made a bad error, he will feel very bad about it, embarrassed and will no doubt question himself, what explanation do we expect? I don't recal the players asking the question or celebrating it, nobody there knew it was even a chance, it was all a bit odd.
    im sure it would have made a difference but no guarantee of success for us and the remaining 77 minutes saw warrington do a job on us
    He made several equally glaring errors following the Morgan Knowles one. At some point you have to expect him as a professional referee to accept some culpability. He's not a part timer doing amateur games for £25.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I totally get why we'd ask for clarification on how that game was refereed. Even for Hicks as an individual that performance was completely different to how he's refereed previously. I get that he was trying to have an open game so was reluctant to give penalties, but it was a poor showing from him generally. The lack of a referral for the try was just wrong, as was at least the method of the restart for Percival's.

What I don't get is why this is being made public? Surely we could have raised our concerns, spoke to the RFL and Hicks and done all this behind closed doors?
    That’s the bit I don’t understand either, I’d say them telling the star to write that is them laying a marker down for the play offs and hopefully Grand Final. If we do get there, whoever the referee is, is going to be under enormous pressure now, more so than usual.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    He made several equally glaring errors following the Morgan Knowles one. At some point you have to expect him as a professional referee to accept some culpability. He's not a part timer doing amateur games for £25.
    What culpability do you want?

A ban?

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    That’s the bit I don’t understand either, I’d say them telling the star to write that is them laying a marker down for the play offs and hopefully Grand Final. If we do get there, whoever the referee is, is going to be under enormous pressure now, more so than usual.

Agreed, it's an almost impossible job and we need to make it easier for them not harder?

What culpability do you want?

A ban?
    My husband was a referee for 25 years with St Helens Ref Society. I fully understand what they go through. There's nothing worse than watching a game when you know the referee and have to listen to the comments. He did it for the love of the game and because he enjoyed it, I can't say I did. BUT when you do it literally for a living, you have to do a better job than Hicks did. I understand when it's a big televised game you have to let it flow and not penalise minor infringements, but he didn't even bother questioning the Knowles try. Ive seen clear non tries sent to the VR simply to see how the game should be restarted. That SHOULD have gone to the VR. The VR also has to take some responsibility, BMM clearly stripped the ball for the next try we weren't awarded. So many decisions against in a short space of time have an impact on a team. I know he made wrong decisions against Warrington as well, but that was after they already had the wind in their sails so they could absorb it and keep going. I'm well aware you champion all referees and the RFL but you can't go too far in the wrong direction or you are equally guilty of enabling mistakes. Youve got to try and be neutral and see it from both sides.

Upside
    Non Members

My husband was a referee for 25 years with St Helens Ref Society. I fully understand what they go through. There's nothing worse than watching a game when you know the referee and have to listen to the comments. He did it for the love of the game and because he enjoyed it, I can't say I did. BUT when you do it literally for a living, you have to do a better job than Hicks did. I understand when it's a big televised game you have to let it flow and not penalise minor infringements, but he didn't even bother questioning the Knowles try. Ive seen clear non tries sent to the VR simply to see how the game should be restarted. That SHOULD have gone to the VR. The VR also has to take some responsibility, BMM clearly stripped the ball for the next try we weren't awarded. So many decisions against in a short space of time have an impact on a team. I know he made wrong decisions against Warrington as well, but that was after they already had the wind in their sails so they could absorb it and keep going. I'm well aware you champion all referees and the RFL but you can't go too far in the wrong direction or you are equally guilty of enabling mistakes. Youve got to try and be neutral and see it from both sides.
    I think I have been balanced, I have accepted numerous times it was a major error, but what do we want? TBH I just feel many fans just want to vent anger and see someone suffer, yes he made a big error, I don't believe the ref lost us the game, we were not as good as wire on the day sadly

I think I have been balanced, I have accepted numerous times it was a major error, but what do we want? TBH I just feel many fans just want to vent anger and see someone suffer, yes he made a big error, I don't believe the ref lost us the game, we were not as good as wire on the day sadly
    You've accepted that the Knowles try was an error becaus e there literally is no other choice but you blindly sweep under the carpet all other errors in all games and in all decisions taken by the RFL. I'm not just referring to this game but a broad sweep of all your posts. I know there are some posters who see any decision against Saints as wrong, but they are no less biased than you who sees any post complaining about the RFL or referees as a direct attack. You are no better than them. You need to see it from both sides and balance your arguments accordingly.

Upside
    Non Members

You've accepted that the Knowles try was an error becaus e there literally is no other choice but you blindly sweep under the carpet all other errors in all games and in all decisions taken by the RFL. I'm not just referring to this game but a broad sweep of all your posts. I know there are some posters who see any decision against Saints as wrong, but they are no less biased than you who sees any post complaining about the RFL or referees as a direct attack. You are no better than them. You need to see it from both sides and balance your arguments accordingly.

I disagree, I give my opinion on how I see it, just because I see things this way or that way does not mean it is biased or unbalanced.

Nothing is swept under the carpet and I continually ask for suggestions to improve the situation, very rare I ever get any other than finger pointing and blame. So whilst I respect your opinion I strongly refute I am biased and again ask for suggestions to improve or increase the percentage of correct decisions

It isnt a good argument to dismiss my comments based on an assumption of bias, it's simply a typical attempt to dismiss the comments without addressing.

Your no better than them suggest you don't respect anyones opinion, I stand by all my comments

Learning All The Songs

Agreed, it's an almost impossible job and we need to make it easier for them not harder?
    It’s certainly not for me and a very Shaun Wane thing to do. By all means ask for clarification but making it public is pointless and indeed makes it harder for the officials. Don’t see it having the effect I think Saints are intending it to have either.

and again ask for suggestions to improve or increase the percentage of correct decisions
    Using the technology that’s intended to make their job easier would be a start.

Additionally, there is no weight in your argument regarding players and fans not seeing it; or rather just seeing that there was at least a possibility of a try. The bulk of our fans were 150m minimum away, not 2, and the players have a job to do in terms of getting back for the restart. Knowles got up with some bemusement on his face but the ref was already 10m up the field and facing the other way so he had no choice but to get back into position and no opportunity to question the decision. Hicks didn’t make any tackles for Knowles so why should he or anyone else have to help him with his job? If you follow the respect line completely you would say he shouldn’t question him anyway, but nobody had the chance as he was confident in his blink of an eye decision and off he sprinted
    Last edited by Sean Day; 27th August 2019 at 02:03.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Using the technology that’s intended to make their job easier would be a start.

Additionally, there is no weight in your argument regarding players and fans not seeing it; or rather just seeing that there was at least a possibility of a try. The bulk of our fans were 150m minimum away, not 2, and the players have a job to do in terms of getting back for the restart. Knowles got up with some bemusement on his face but the ref was already 10m up the field and facing the other way so he had no choice but to get back into position and no opportunity to question the decision. Hicks didn’t make any tackles for Knowles so why should he or anyone else have to help him with his job? If you follow the respect line completely you would say he shouldn’t question him anyway, but nobody had the chance as he was confident in his blink of an eye decision and off he sprinted

So did the players celebrate a try? Or are you suggesting they shouldn't as celebrating a try is helping the ref?
    Is celebrating a try equivalent to the ref catching the ball for a player?

So did the players celebrate a try? Or are you suggesting they shouldn't as celebrating a try is helping the ref?
    Is celebrating a try equivalent to the ref catching the ball for a player?
    ????????

I think you might be overthinking this one now, pal