Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Choked?

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Hes been happy to do other interviews in the lead up to a cup final regarding the fan of a club in the final.

Now he has everyone talking about him again, will have done wonders for the guys ego
    I think in wider terms there needs to be some of this going on. Players and coaches have to be openly accountable so why not refs? I think if a ref had a platform to say “yes I got that wrong and I need to work harder on x, y and z” I think there would be more empathy and understanding. As it is it just appears that they don’t give a damn which I’m certain is not the case.

Noooobie

Justin Holbrook has shown over the last couple of weeks he still has a lot to learn as Head Coach. As in a previous post Leeds should have been the run out for the Challenge Cup Final, anybody he didn’t play shouldn’t have played yesterday. To bring back Coote, Roby, Walmsley and Knowles after missing so much game time over recent weeks was the wrong choice. The heat yesterday wasn’t considered by JH, which was well reported on prior to the game, players need to be match fit in that heat. Coote nd Roby weren’t fit, Bentley should have been on the bench instead of JP who did nothing at all during his one brief spell on the pitch. I will say we had chances in the first 20 minutes, plus the Knowles try which wasn’t even looked at, surely Hicks will get dropped for his howler.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    How refreshing would it be for Hicks to come out and apologise for such a howler in a showpiece occasion for the sport.

I got that decision fundamentally wrong and it changed the momentum of the game from minute 3.
    ... And that would make us feel a whole lot better Chief!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    ... And that would make us feel a whole lot better Chief!!
    Whilst he was at it perhaps he could offer to give us a 12 point start in the play offs?

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Did we choke? Again
    You do have to ask the question as to why this keeps happening- Saints have been the most consistent team in the sport over here for the past 2 seasons, but yet continue to struggle come the big knockout games.

Against an out of form Warrington, a side that Saints had already beaten 3 times this year and also missing one of their marquee players and on a dry track as well, St Helens should be winning that game.

Why didn't they? There's lots of threads going on here but my thoughts are...

As per the semi final in the league last year, they just couldn't break them down (albeit Knowsles' effort should have been awarded). The attack continues to be a problem when it matters, when chasing a game.

My only criticism of Holbrook is that he always goes with four forwards on the bench in the big games- If I remember correctly he has done this even going back to the Cas semi-final in 2017. This leaves him with no real options to change things. From the players available on Saturday, Welsby or Richardson had to be on the interchange. That gives the option to either take Coote off (who looked really off the pace) or move Fages into 9 and put Roby at 13 to give more dynamism in the spine. Paulo's spot could have been taken as it continues to remain unclear as to what he brings to the side. I said when Saints signed him he could be rocks or diamonds and I think he's been the former from what I've seen of him thus far. Both Welsby and Richardson have had plenty of game time of late too, so they were ready to play.

Those saying that Holbrook can't motivate the players, I would say the players should be able to motivate themselves! And the players need to take responsibility for their performances.

Saints have piled the pressure on themselves and other sides (not just Warrington) won't be daunted facing them come September. It's a real shame that the club could find themselves ending the year with just the LLS again, but everybody knows the format of the competitions.

Regards,

STEVO