Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Carcassonne to Perpignan to Barcelona

Noooobie

Default Carcassonne to Perpignan to Barcelona

Hi,
    Not sure exactly why I've done it this way but booked early Friday morning flight from Manchester to Carcassone and late Sunday night flight back from Barcelona to Manchester. We have booked 2 nights centre of Perpignan.

What is the best way to shuttle from and to both airports there are 2 of us?

Anyone doing same and would be interested in sharing transfers?

Any advice much appreciated. I know early but like to get sorted!!

Cheers
    Andy

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Plenty of trains Carcassonne to Perpignan. You will have more of a problem from Carcassone airport into the city or Station.
    Taxis leave from the departure terminal but there are no taxis waiting, you have to phone for one. Easiest to go to info In departures and ask them to call you one. It’s a few months since I did this but that was the case then. Incidentally Carcassone is much nicer than Perpignan if you get the chance to spend a night there.

Regular trains between Perp and BCN, and only 2 stops in between. If you are staying in Perp after the game then no problem but if you are leaving after the game you will miss the last train. Train fares from France can be a bit pricey, compared to Spain that is. Not sure how they compare with the Uk.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 6th November 2019 at 02:22.

Noooobie

Last year I flew to Toulouse n back from Barca but was shocked at the adfitional cross border cost.
    Ended up returning the car at Perpignan and taking the train down to Barcelona.
    From the main station there are regular trains to the airport.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

[QUOTE=sa!nt;780646]Hi,
    Not sure exactly why I've done it this way but booked early Friday morning flight from Manchester to Carcassone and late Sunday night flight back from Barcelona to Manchester. We have booked 2 nights centre of Perpignan.

There is a shuttle bus from Carcassonne airport to train station 6 euro. The Carcassonne Airport Website has details.
    Perpignan to Barcelona has plenty of trains and from Sants station you catch the airport train.

Got A Season Ticket

Oh and would add worth looking and booking French trains via oui sncf website you can get great deals if you book early enough. We did Paris to Montpellier for 20euros. They will also be able to do tickets for Perpignan to Barcelona

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sa!nt View Post
    Hi,

Anyone doing same and would be interested in sharing transfers?

Any advice much appreciated. I know early but like to get sorted!!

Cheers
    Andy
    It may have been an idea to check beforehand.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I've used Loco2 before but I see that they're now called https://raileurope.co.uk/
    You shouldn't have any problems unless someone goes on strike. You are dealing with the French and Spanish here!

Carcassone airport is quite near to the station so a taxi would be cheapish, but there is a shuttle bus from airport to rail station for a couple of euros.
    Unlike our rail system, French rail tickets are a similar in cost if bought on the day, so you could wait until you get to Carcassone. Ticket machines in the station are easy to use and have an 'English' button. You will need to change at Narbonne. It's a pleasant journey down through vineyards then along the coast across salt flats with flamingos!
    There is a coach from Carcassone to Perpignan but I've never done that so can't comment.

Train run from Perpigan to Barcelona but you might have to change at Portbou. I've done that on a Sunday in the past as far as Girona without any problems.
    A mate caught a Sunday morning coach from Perpignan to Barcelona a few years back without any problems but iirc, it was an early departure!

Enjoy!

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

...Sorry. I forgot to ask which 'Barcelona' airport are you flying from? If it's 'Barcelona Girona' that Ryanair often use, then you don't need to go to Barcelona.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I've used Loco2 before but I see that they're now called https://raileurope.co.uk/
    You shouldn't have any problems unless someone goes on strike. You are dealing with the French and Spanish here!

Carcassone airport is quite near to the station so a taxi would be cheapish, but there is a shuttle bus from airport to rail station for a couple of euros.
    Unlike our rail system, French rail tickets are a similar in cost if bought on the day, so you could wait until you get to Carcassone. Ticket machines in the station are easy to use and have an 'English' button. You will need to change at Narbonne. It's a pleasant journey down through vineyards then along the coast across salt flats with flamingos!
    There is a coach from Carcassone to Perpignan but I've never done that so can't comment.

Train run from Perpigan to Barcelona but you might have to change at Portbou. I've done that on a Sunday in the past as far as Girona without any problems.
    A mate caught a Sunday morning coach from Perpignan to Barcelona a few years back without any problems but iirc, it was an early departure!

Enjoy!
    Some of the trains from Carcassone to Perpignan are direct, so changing at Narbonne is dependant on what time train you take. Perpignan to Barcelona only the stopper trains go via Port bou and that makes it a long journey. The express TGV/AVE goes Perpignan -Figueres - Girona -Barcelona,

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

What happened to the rumour we were playing them in Barcelona?

Looked at various options as normal, surprised to get a really good deal flying direct to Perpignan and a boutique hotel in Perpignan.
    No late flight back on Sunday from Barcelona which I bloody hate.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Catalans saying latest TV talks have fallen through. But one worrying sentence in their statement was that they were/are willing to change the day they play home games this season if it helps a TV company!
    That might be fun...Not.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Noooobie

Nightmare! Where to flights to Perpignan fly from?

Noooobie

Thought that was Toronto ‘on tour’

Noooobie

BCN - cheers for advice

Quote Originally Posted by sa!nt View Post
    Nightmare! Where to flights to Perpignan fly from?
    Birmingham and Stansted I think for direct flights.