Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Another signing?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theres only one stan wall View Post
    LMS isn’t going anywhere.
    I wondered if he had changed his mind, the podcast early this year I heard he was talking about a Millwall season ticket, was he joking or have the club got him to go another year.

Quote Originally Posted by theres only one stan wall View Post
    LMS isn’t going anywhere.
    Don't see the logic of keeping LMS and Amor.

Just seems like convenience and sentiment.

Both too passive now.

If Friday and the CC exit taught us anything is that neither have the youth or hunger
    the pack needs.

Fine spelling Warmsley when 14 points up against a Wakey/Hull KR , not when the chips are down against top sides.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I wondered if he had changed his mind, the podcast early this year I heard he was talking about a Millwall season ticket, was he joking or have the club got him to go another year.
    I saw an interview with him later, maybe during the lockdown? When he said he was settled here now.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

Both too passive now.

If Friday and the CC exit taught us anything is that neither have the youth or hunger
    the pack needs.

Fine spelling Warmsley when 14 points up against a Wakey/Hull KR , not when the chips are down against top sides.
    Convenience and sentiment. Or possibly all that’s available that we can afford in the current financial climate.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I saw an interview with him later, maybe during the lockdown? When he said he was settled here now.
    Yes, I tried to search for the one I watched around that time........must have imagined it !!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

Both too passive now.

the pack needs.

It depends what's available on the market.

It sounds like we're bringing four players in (which is quite alot, certainly alot more than we've brought in for the last 3 or 4 years) and there could be 6 or 7 leaving.

You need to strike a balance, you can't just release everyone that's out of contract if you can't replace from within or externally, we'd have a tiny squad and would weaken as a result.

Dan Norman may turn out to be a good replacement for LMS long term, but he's been playing in the lower grade so there's no guarantee he will be good enough for us. It's a punt at best at this stage.

LMS and Amor are seasoned pros and whilst they both had a bad game last week, generally they've been decent for us this season.

The next two years are big for us in terms of recruitment, the average age will come down dramatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    It depends what's available on the market.

It sounds like we're bringing four players in (which is quite alot, certainly alot more than we've brought in for the last 3 or 4 years) and there could be 6 or 7 leaving.

You need to strike a balance, you can't just release everyone that's out of contract if you can't replace from within or externally, we'd have a tiny squad and would weaken as a result.

Dan Norman may turn out to be a good replacement for LMS long term, but he's been playing in the lower grade so there's no guarantee he will be good enough for us. It's a punt at best at this stage.

LMS and Amor are seasoned pros and whilst they both had a bad game last week, generally they've been decent for us this season.

The next two years are big for us in terms of recruitment, the average age will come down dramatically.
    I think Amor and LMS are fine as long as we have another couple of units in the four-man rotation. We need to always have one explosive prop forward on the field. Paasi looks the part - hopefully he's up to the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I think Amor and LMS are fine as long as we have another couple of units in the four-man rotation. We need to always have one explosive prop forward on the field. Paasi looks the part - hopefully he's up to the job.
    Walmsley and Paasi is OK but if we can put another 5kg on Lees that would be better still.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Walmsley and Paasi is OK but if we can put another 5kg on Lees that would be better still.
    Yep, agreed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

There is no point signing anyone if they are not better than what you have at anytime. That must be the benchmark.
    Learned comment from The Don

Starting A Programme Collection

Not seen anything of this guy, how do widnes/London fans rate him?

If he hasn't done much there I don't see how he is going to bring anything to us

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Convenience and sentiment. Or possibly all that’s available that we can afford in the current financial climate.
    I'm not advocating their retention either way but there seems to be cash floating round for the other signings, beyond what I expected anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WalkieTalkie View Post
    I'm not advocating their retention either way but there seems to be cash floating round for the other signings, beyond what I expected anyway.

Replacement is a balancing act though. Out-Graham, Taia, Paulo, Peyroux. In - Thompson, Paasi, Matautia, Norman (maybe). The finances may equate or even be better for us. Also, Ashworth, Costello going should be taken into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    Replacement is a balancing act though. Out-Graham, Taia, Paulo, Peyroux. In - Thompson, Paasi, Matautia, Norman (maybe). The finances may equate or even be better for us. Also, Ashworth, Costello going should be taken into consideration.
    I'm thinking the incomers would cost more than what we'll recoup but only speculating.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Will be surprised if LMS goes.
    I'll ask my mate 'Bob' .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Banned

Matty Lees looks shot. That injury was awful. He either came back too quick or he really is not coming back to this level. He is miles off at present. I really hope next season he recovers fully.

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Matty Lees looks shot. That injury was awful. He either came back too quick or he really is not coming back to this level. He is miles off at present. I really hope next season he recovers fully.
    My only concern with Lees is he looks like the most lightweight prop in the league and he doesn't make any metres at all so i am not sure what his role is

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Col81
    My only concern with Lees is he looks like the most lightweight prop in the league and he doesn't make any metres at all so i am not sure what his role is
    He's lightweight because of the injury he suffered. I don't think there's any point in making judgements about him until he's had an off season to regain lost mass and then hopefully add some extra mass on top of that. He's got a big frame; I reckon in 2 or 3 years he'll be huge, and if you combine the way he plays with some real size he'll be a handful. It's just a shame that his progress has probably been delayed by 18 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    He’s come back from a potentially career ending issue and because of the nature of the injury he naturally lost some weight. Give him a full pre-season and we’ll get a more accurate representation of Lees as a player. Adding another 10kg or so wouldn’t hurt either as he runs the ball in as hard as anyone, there’s just not as much impact behind it. Given most props don’t come good until their mid to late 20’s at 22 Lees is definitely a project worth continuing with.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

He’s come back from a potentially career ending issue and because of the nature of the injury he naturally lost some weight. Give him a full pre-season and we’ll get a more accurate representation of Lees as a player. Adding another 10kg or so wouldn’t hurt either as he runs the ball in as hard as anyone, there’s just not as much impact behind it. Given most props don’t come good until their mid to late 20’s at 22 Lees is definitely a project worth continuing with.
    100%
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    He's lightweight because of the injury he suffered. I don't think there's any point in making judgements about him until he's had an off season to regain lost mass and then hopefully add some extra mass on top of that. He's got a big frame; I reckon in 2 or 3 years he'll be huge, and if you combine the way he plays with some real size he'll be a handful. It's just a shame that his progress has probably been delayed by 18 months or so.
    I thought he was lightweight for a prop even before his injury. But he showed no fear. Like you say 2-3 years he could be much bigger and hopefully will have regained his confidence. Despite his lack of bulk, his last two games I thought he was running in harder than any other time since his injury.

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Yes i agree, he has a big heart and i like the aggression he has. On another note i would love someone to stand up to Wigan when they get rough with us. Someone like Scully we all seem to let them bully us. Knowing we had lost against them last week someone should of dealt with Singleton properly so what if they got a ban

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I thought he was lightweight for a prop even before his injury. But he showed no fear. Like you say 2-3 years he could be much bigger and hopefully will have regained his confidence. Despite his lack of bulk, his last two games I thought he was running in harder than any other time since his injury.
    Yeah, I agree about him already being on the light side before his injury. That's why it's so frustrating - the one thing he needed was bulk and it's the one thing his injury has taken away. Without it he would probably already be at a weight that it will likely now take him a couple of years to reach.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

I dont get why people are saying Lees is to lightweight. If we bulk him up, we are just setting ourselves up for a pack thats just 5 drives and a punt.

Lee's would be better off in the preseason learning decent running lines and building up and offload technique.

Hes already got a bit of grit about him , he'll never back down, lets develop his game, evolve him as a player rather than turning him into a glorified battering ram.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    I dont get why people are saying Lees is to lightweight. If we bulk him up, we are just setting ourselves up for a pack thats just 5 drives and a punt.

Lee's would be better off in the preseason learning decent running lines and building up and offload technique.

Hes already got a bit of grit about him , he'll never back down, lets develop his game, evolve him as a player rather than turning him into a glorified battering ram.
    It doesn’t matter how good your running lines are, sometimes as a prop you will be expected to barrel into 3 defenders and make yards. On a frame like Lees there’s no reason he can’t add some bulk without affecting his mobility. There’s also no reason why he shouldn’t be working on his running lines and offloading as well like you say, after all being a rugby player is his full time job. I don’t agree we’re setting ourselves up for 5 drives and a kick by wanting to develop him into a prop that can bend or break the line, after all, you need your pack to lay a platform with good ball and field position otherwise you can’t play any decent rugby anyway.