Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Wakefield

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 19 man squad v Wakefield

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2019/07/3...kefield-clash/

Taia, Smith and Welsby for Walmsley, Knowles and Costello.

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Theo Fages, 7. Danny Richardson, 9. James Roby, 10. Luke Thompson, 11. Zeb Taia, 12. Joseph Paulo, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Dom Peyroux, 19. Matty Lees, 20. Jack Ashworth, 21. Aaron Smith, 22. James Bentley, 29. Jack Welsby.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Welsby as FB and Lomax back to normal for me.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Got A Season Ticket

This really depends on how long Coote is out for.

If he's scheduled to miss the CC Final, then I would stick with Lomax at FB, and Fages/Richardson in the halves, simply to get them used to playing with each other again and for Richardson's kicking.

If he's scheduled to make the CC Final, then I would put Welsby at FB for the next few games and keep Lomax/Fages in the halves firing on all cylinders.

I would personally prefer the latter, as I really didn't enjoy watching Richardson play in CC Semi. IMO - It's becoming apparent that Ben Barba made this kid look good.

Noooobie

Coote only out for a couple more weeks. Guess he'll get a run out at Headingley.

Did you watch Richardson over the Easter period where we hammered Hull FC and Catalan?

Learning All The Songs

This is going to be a tough game. We're without 3 of our top players and Wakefield have plen of incentive to win. I too would like to see welsby at full back but you can guarantee Brough will target him. Hopefully after winning the semi and havi the eventful week we've had we can come together and win.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post
    This really depends on how long Coote is out for.

If he's scheduled to miss the CC Final, then I would stick with Lomax at FB, and Fages/Richardson in the halves, simply to get them used to playing with each other again and for Richardson's kicking.

If he's scheduled to make the CC Final, then I would put Welsby at FB for the next few games and keep Lomax/Fages in the halves firing on all cylinders.

I would personally prefer the latter, as I really didn't enjoy watching Richardson play in CC Semi. IMO - It's becoming apparent that Ben Barba made this kid look good.
    Even though I thought Richardson was the right choice for the semi I do now think with where we are League wise he should not play now. Welsby can take a few games as FB and get our best half partnership back together. We have more than enough to win this. Plus win this and the league is 99% done.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Even though I thought Richardson was the right choice for the semi I do now think with where we are League wise he should not play now. Welsby can take a few games as FB and get our best half partnership back together. We have more than enough to win this. Plus win this and the league is 99% done.
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by tartansaint View Post
    Coote only out for a couple more weeks. Guess he'll get a run out at Headingley.

Did you watch Richardson over the Easter period where we hammered Hull FC and Catalan?
    You've heard different than me then. As far as I'm aware he is more than 2 weeks off

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Saint View Post
    This is going to be a tough game. We're without 3 of our top players and Wakefield have plen of incentive to win. I too would like to see welsby at full back but you can guarantee Brough will target him. Hopefully after winning the semi and havi the eventful week we've had we can come together and win.
    It should be a comfortable two points. Wakefield looked gone at the Wigan game other week and Wigan had loads out.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    You've heard different than me then. As far as I'm aware he is more than 2 weeks off
    That's poor any more than 2 weeks he's struggling for the final

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Welsby, Makinson, Naquima, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Fages, Lees, Roby, Thompson, Taia, Peyroux, Paulo.

Amor, LMS, Bentley, Ashworth

18. Smith
    19. Richardson

That’s assuming Coote will be back for the cup final.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Starting A Programme Collection

Brough may well target Welsby but it is up to Welsby to make it a waste of his time. The lad needs to build confidence in his own ability and there is only one place to do that.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Last week in the first half we were stuttering, the combo of Lomax/ Richardson/ Fages wasn't gelling.
    It seemed to get better as the game went on soxI would persevere with it.
    From other threads it looks like its 50/50 for Coote to make Wembley, if that is the case I dont think we should put Welsby in for two or three game then revert to Lomax for Wembley.

Hopefully 2 or 3 games will enable Richardson to get upto speed

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    Brough may well target Welsby but it is up to Welsby to make it a waste of his time. The lad needs to build confidence in his own ability and there is only one place to do that.
    I agree big test this week the boot of Brough also next week away at wankey hopefully coote back against the whinos hopefully welsby can prove himself he has the ability

Learning All The Songs

Holbrook says a couple of weeks in the star

Learning All The Songs

Sorry the 2 weeks are for walmsleys return

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I agree big test this week the boot of Brough also next week away at wankey hopefully coote back against the whinos hopefully welsby can prove himself he has the ability
    Not too sure if Welsby will feature last 10 days he has been training and playing at stand off.

JH lastest interview he says Lomax will be FB on Friday.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Holbrook is not daft. He knows that Lomax will be far more secure at fullback and a new half needs game time to get back up to speed.

Second half last week we looked more settled. It just takes time for everyone to readjust.

Unless Coote is back the 1, 6 and 7 will remain the same. Welsby at fb would get hammered at Wembley.

You get limited chances in a final and you don't want Warrington to be able to bomb the life out of the fullback like Saints did to Bradford all those years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Holbrook is not daft. He knows that Lomax will be far more secure at fullback and a new half needs game time to get back up to speed.

Second half last week we looked more settled. It just takes time for everyone to readjust.

Unless Coote is back the 1, 6 and 7 will remain the same. Welsby at fb would get hammered at Wembley.

You get limited chances in a final and you don't want Warrington to be able to bomb the life out of the fullback like Saints did to Bradford all those years ago.
    I should imagine Holbrook will also have a contingency plan for the remaining season if Coote fails to recover or he gets a recurrence of that knee injury. Lomax/Fages/Richardson just need game time in that contingency to get the attacking options right, Welsby is likely to be a star player but its highly improbable that will surface in a cup final this season.

The other options of Makinson or Costello at full back looks as though thats for the "back burner", hopefully Costello will never be placed at full back because his weakness this season has been taking a high ball kick.

Got A Season Ticket

Holbrook quote in Star 'Coote is still a week or two away.....'

Agreed, Saints need only to think back to 1989 to appreciate the risks of putting a young, largely untried player at fullback in a cup final.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I am one that has called for Lomax to go back to 6, but if there is a chance that Coote may not be fit for Wembley then I think we have to continue the way we are going with Theo and DR in the halves. I have a bit of a concern that even if Coote does come back for Wembley, then after not kicking for a while, then his accuracy may be back where he started earlier in the season.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Agreed, Saints need only to think back to 1989 to appreciate the risks of putting a young, largely untried player at fullback in a cup final.
    Remember it well, k ocked him back a year I thought

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    I know we are obviously going to win the LLS, but am I right in thinking if Wigan beat Hull tonight then we are mathematically guaranteed a top 2 finish?
    I,m hoping Hull beat The Goons, Catalans beat Dire and we beat Wakey. Then next week they can handover the LLS at the HJ whilst Dire go down into 3rd place.