Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts

Banned

Default Thoughts

Last time I was on here was straight after the CC Final, and said I was going to give this place a swerve for a bit because it would become a crapfest. Thought I'd pop back to air some thoughts.

This forum
    A quick skim through the posts and I can see it got as bad as I imagined. What I can't understand is why Mods/Admin have allowed so many gobshites from other clubs to troll with impunity. Some have been more subtle than others but, at a time when we're all hurting bad, I'd advocate just deleting all posts from fans of other clubs. None of us want it rubbed-in, or sneering dressed up as 'serious' questions. F*** 'em. This is a Saints fans site, not a democracy.

CC Final
    That performance just screamed 'bottled it'. Too many players - key players we rely on - had stinkers and collectively they seemed to let that disgraceful decision to 'no try' Knowles' try play on their minds. Wire defended ridiculously well, but we were the architects of our own downfall. We didn't look to have consistent shape in attack, few dummy runners or other moves to bamboozle the defence, and fell into the trap of attacking individually. I couldn't be there (stupidly never thought about dates when booking a holiday at the start of 2019) but watched it on TV and that hurt probably more than Murrayfield did (and I was at Murrayfield!). Probably because the Murrayfield loss came amidst a period when we were overall top dogs and silverware wasn't a problem. We're now in a desperate position regarding trophies in recent years - 1 in eleven years for a giant of the game is pathetic, especially when inferior teams like Leeds (several times!) and the piescum have been racking up SL titles, and even Wire have 3 CC's.

Aftermath & Run-In
    I avoided all things RL for nearly a fortnight after the final - newspapers, tv, internet. I couldn't face it. I also missed the Cas game (travelling home that evening). Other than clocking the score, I never bothered to read a report on it but I can imagine how it went. So my first tentative step back to the game came on Friday at TTWS. I wasn't filled with enthusiasm but hoped being there would rekindle the spirit. It didn't. I've never been so disinterested in a game. At half time, I was actually pondering going home and spent half the game on my phone. It wasn't a great game, sure, but that wasn't the issue. I hope the play-offs & GF get me going, or next year will be me not bothering to go more often than not.

Holbrook
    He's been instrumental in turning the club around and for that he'll always have our thinks. But perhaps the question marks about his ability to deliver trophies are valid. That team, and squad is head and shoulders above any other in the British game, so to lose like that against a pretty ordinary Wire side is poor. A GF win would help rid him of a growing tag of not quite having it. But perhaps a change in coach is what we need and him swanning back to Aus is a good thing for us.

Banned

Hi Webbo

You are a very passionate fan and your post basically sums much of it up. In relation to fans of other clubs I feel the "Wolves" fans who have invaded the forum are pretty reflective of their fan base, if they are not smashing coach windows they are licking them and are of no real consequence.

Saints is the passion of the Town and we need that passion. Keep the faith its much better than sadly the Keiron years, I am still having counselling following Dawson and Owens on the wings. Sport is a funny animal and we have no right to win the grand final or anything else for that matter. But I have enjoyed my rugby under Holbrook and that makes a crap week a better week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    I find strangely that us Saints are odds on with betfred to WIN the grand final,,,,, I'd personally make us a 6/4 shot
    and we still havnt reached old trafford yet

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Matty Smith or Jon wilkin? Who is the worst?

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    Show us YOUR medals
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Whoever drives the best car is better...

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Can't compare two different positions. Who do I prefer to have in my team, John Wilkin. If nothing else for the fact he spent all his worthwhile career at Saints.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The South Stand

Why such a negative question?

Jon Wilkin was a loyal servant to the club for many years and regardless of what a few individuals on here think, was valued by successive coaches. Matty Smith probably wanted nothing more than to play for his home town club but didn’t fit in to Holbrook’s plan. His success with Wigan proves he can’t just be written off.

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t mind having a young Jon Wilkin in the team.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Matty, never really performed for us at a higher level, we only remember the last second drop goal.

Wilkin has had some excellent games for us albeit not at the back end of his last couple of seasons, quite often played out of position those appearances at stand off didn’t do him any favours but he didn’t complain.

Learning All The Songs

At least where having a go at the cheerleaders

Noooobie

I was once involved in an "altercation" which wasn't led by Wilkin but he finished it , it didn't involve violence but could have , Wilkin put another saints player right in his place , shouting and with his finger in his face Wilkin didn't half put the other bloke STRAIGHT WHICH WAS NEEDED , and I must say from that day forward I had nothing but respect for JW who was absolutely right , was far more serious than you could imagine , regarding Smith only spoke to him once?? .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by roylitherland View Post
    I was once involved in an "altercation" which wasn't led by Wilkin but he finished it , it didn't involve violence but could have , Wilkin put another saints player right in his place , shouting and with his finger in his face Wilkin didn't half put the other bloke STRAIGHT WHICH WAS NEEDED , and I must say from that day forward I had nothing but respect for JW who was absolutely right , was far more serious than you could imagine , regarding Smith only spoke to him once?? .
    Really? I've met Jon numerous times and really wouldn't have thought he had that in him, just goes to show I suppose. Anyway, he was a better player than Matty Smith who can •••• off after his outburst the other week.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Back to the OP.I share some of your thoughts but it's time to support again and chase the dream.We are fans and we support.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Back to the OP.I share some of your thoughts but it's time to support again and chase the dream.We are fans and we support.
    Well said.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Hi Webbo

You are a very passionate fan and your post basically sums much of it up. In relation to fans of other clubs I feel the "Wolves" fans who have invaded the forum are pretty reflective of their fan base, if they are not smashing coach windows they are licking them and are of no real consequence.

Saints is the passion of the Town and we need that passion. Keep the faith its much better than sadly the Keiron years, I am still having counselling following Dawson and Owens on the wings. Sport is a funny animal and we have no right to win the grand final or anything else for that matter. But I have enjoyed my rugby under Holbrook and that makes a crap week a better week.
    Have you ever thought that comments like your second sentence are so provocative that people will respond? The “window licking” comment is particularly crass.

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Last time I was on here was straight after the CC Final, and said I was going to give this place a swerve for a bit because it would become a crapfest. Thought I'd pop back to air some thoughts.

This forum
    A quick skim through the posts and I can see it got as bad as I imagined. What I can't understand is why Mods/Admin have allowed so many gobshites from other clubs to troll with impunity. Some have been more subtle than others but, at a time when we're all hurting bad, I'd advocate just deleting all posts from fans of other clubs. None of us want it rubbed-in, or sneering dressed up as 'serious' questions. F*** 'em. This is a Saints fans site, not a democracy.

CC Final
    That performance just screamed 'bottled it'. Too many players - key players we rely on - had stinkers and collectively they seemed to let that disgraceful decision to 'no try' Knowles' try play on their minds. Wire defended ridiculously well, but we were the architects of our own downfall. We didn't look to have consistent shape in attack, few dummy runners or other moves to bamboozle the defence, and fell into the trap of attacking individually. I couldn't be there (stupidly never thought about dates when booking a holiday at the start of 2019) but watched it on TV and that hurt probably more than Murrayfield did (and I was at Murrayfield!). Probably because the Murrayfield loss came amidst a period when we were overall top dogs and silverware wasn't a problem. We're now in a desperate position regarding trophies in recent years - 1 in eleven years for a giant of the game is pathetic, especially when inferior teams like Leeds (several times!) and the piescum have been racking up SL titles, and even Wire have 3 CC's.

Aftermath & Run-In
    I avoided all things RL for nearly a fortnight after the final - newspapers, tv, internet. I couldn't face it. I also missed the Cas game (travelling home that evening). Other than clocking the score, I never bothered to read a report on it but I can imagine how it went. So my first tentative step back to the game came on Friday at TTWS. I wasn't filled with enthusiasm but hoped being there would rekindle the spirit. It didn't. I've never been so disinterested in a game. At half time, I was actually pondering going home and spent half the game on my phone. It wasn't a great game, sure, but that wasn't the issue. I hope the play-offs & GF get me going, or next year will be me not bothering to go more often than not.

Holbrook
    He's been instrumental in turning the club around and for that he'll always have our thinks. But perhaps the question marks about his ability to deliver trophies are valid. That team, and squad is head and shoulders above any other in the British game, so to lose like that against a pretty ordinary Wire side is poor. A GF win would help rid him of a growing tag of not quite having it. But perhaps a change in coach is what we need and him swanning back to Aus is a good thing for us.
    Don't mention the trolls and admin, as I've already been threatened with a ban over their non action towards them...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Really? I've met Jon numerous times and really wouldn't have thought he had that in him, just goes to show I suppose. Anyway, he was a better player than Matty Smith who can •••• off after his outburst the other week.
    Matty is one of the best around at taking on the line. Ahem...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie McWolf View Post
    Have you ever thought that comments like your second sentence are so provocative that people will respond? The “window licking” comment is particularly crass.
    No more provocative than you clowns posting on here.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Matty is one of the best around at taking on the line. Ahem...
    I don't think he's into that to be honest.

Seriously you are about as welcome on here as a bout of tonsilitis

I thought your lot bricking our coach window was a bit provocative.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I thought your lot bricking our coach window was a bit provocative.
    And I condemn it, as do the vast majority of Wire fans.

And I condemn it, as do the vast majority of Wire fans.
    Condemn away. Just do it elsewhere.

Learning All The Songs

Wilkin might have been loyal to Saints, but he did well out of the club. As soon as all the decent players started leaving he stood out for what he always has been, a very average player. I’ll never forget the cringeworthy interview he did after the 2014 GF, and instead of praising the players he made the interview all about himself. With the “it was a Wilkin, Wellens, Roby production”. No it wasn’t Jon you wasn’t involved.

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Wilkin might have been loyal to Saints, but he did well out of the club. As soon as all the decent players started leaving he stood out for what he always has been, a very average player. I’ll never forget the cringeworthy interview he did after the 2014 GF, and instead of praising the players he made the interview all about himself. With the “it was a Wilkin, Wellens, Roby production”. No it wasn’t Jon you wasn’t involved.
    To be fair to Wilkin, I remember reading an interview with Nathan Brown where he explained that our style of play at the back end of the 2014 season was developed to reflect the fact that we were missing several key players and was the result of discussions with the likes of Wellens, Roby and Wilkin.