Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Great Start

Default A Great Start

Well done to Saints for cracking start to the season. They came up with the best performance of the first round.
    My top three are;-
    Lomax
    Farge
    Percy

A great start.........!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by palmorr View Post
    Well done to Saints for cracking start to the season. They came up with the best performance of the first round.
    My top three are;-
    Lomax
    Farge
    Percy

A great start.........!
    Lomax
    Roby
    Makinson

Also thought lees and sione impressed as they put themself around. Lees may get a ban but apart from that he looked a great deal better than he has the last 2 seasons

Starting A Programme Collection

A great start all around . As expected the smaller clubs getting beat . Warrington looking like another year for them . Leigh should have a field day next week . Bring on round two

Learning All The Songs

Do you think that by the end of the season we will all recognise the fact that Theo's surname is Fages, not Farge?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    Do you think that by the end of the season we will all recognise the fact that Theo's surname is Fages, not Farge?
    My money's on 'no'

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    Could be anything if Bill Arthur is commentating!

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Could be anything if Bill Arthur is commentating!
    Its nice of Lomax and Fages to wear different coloured helmets.

Arthur wouldnt be able to tell who is who otherwise.

Banned

Really positive workman like start. All good for me. Theo played well, I think he needs to. Interesting Powell didn't pick Richo today. I do not think we have missed much with that lad.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprus View Post
    Really positive workman like start. All good for me. Theo played well, I think he needs to. Interesting Powell didn't pick Richo today. I do not think we have missed much with that lad.
    Saint against Leeds in the Cup, let's see how our pre season has been

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Saint against Leeds in the Cup, let's see how our pre season has been
    At least it will be on TV. Will Coote be back? Will Eastmond play?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    At least it will be on TV. Will Coote be back? Will Eastmond play?
    I hope so X 3.

With that latter playing full back and getting trampled repeatedly. And I don't care if he admits he was wrong in the way he left.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by palmorr View Post
    My top three are;-
    Lomax
    Farge
    Percy

A great start.........!
    I didn't see the Hull v Huddersfield game, but I think ours was certainly the least inspiring watch of all of the other five games. I suspect this is going to be another season when the winning v entertainment argument gets trotted out regularly, as it did throughout 2020. Despite all of the three quarters scoring from plucking kicks out of the air or feeding off a dropped ball, they were completely starved of service throughout. It was a good win, but I enjoyed all the other games so much more.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    I didn't see the Hull v Huddersfield game, but I think ours was certainly the least inspiring watch of all of the other five games. I suspect this is going to be another season when the winning v entertainment argument gets trotted out regularly, as it did throughout 2020. Despite all of the three quarters scoring from plucking kicks out of the air or feeding off a dropped ball, they were completely starved of service throughout. It was a good win, but I enjoyed all the other games so much more.
    To be honest, the Percival no try resulted from a bit of decent service (if Lomax’s pass hadn’t gone forward ). I can’t honestly remember the moves that preceded the Lomax no try. Did Salford lose the ball? I think they did.

I enjoyed the Leigh game best until Wigan won but the unsuccessful fight back by Hull KR against Catalans was pretty entertaining. I didn’t see Warrington v Castleford.
    Last edited by Suttoner; 29th March 2021 at 13:43. Reason: Spelling

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    A great start all around . As expected the smaller clubs getting beat . Warrington looking like another year for them . Leigh should have a field day next week . Bring on round two
    Just an observation - when are we going to stop the knee bending nonsense. There are many ways to promote the rejection of racism without “taking the knee”. It has surely had its day?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les View Post
    Just an observation - when are we going to stop the knee bending nonsense. There are many ways to promote the rejection of racism without “taking the knee”. It has surely had its day?
    Spot on Les. I was disappointed to see Saints continue with this gesture, when everyone else seems to prefer to stand.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

The problem is that we over rely on Lomax coming up with a play on every set even more so when Coote is not in the side. Woolf has got Fages concentrating more on a kick pressure game and Roby doesn't scoot as much, when we lost Coote last season and Welsby played that position Wollf had him playing right behind the PTB in a narrow channel supporting the props. In the Salford game Woolf had Welsby playing with wider supprt play to dreate the extra man when going out wide but when Percival went off our structure changed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les View Post
    Who takes any notice of it anymore? Fully agree we don't need to keep doing it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Its nice of Lomax and Fages to wear different coloured helmets.

Arthur wouldnt be able to tell who is who otherwise.
    Maybe we could get either Naiqama or Grace to dye their hair blonde and really make his day.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Maybe we could get either Naiqama or Grace to dye their hair blonde and really make his day.
    Sadly, I don't think that would help. The man's a buffoon.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Hes going to have a full on meltdown when we play Castleford. Hes not going to know which Mata'utia is Ours or Castlefords

Banned

Our opening SL fixtures are:

Salford
    HKR
    Wakey
    Hudds
    Leigh
    Salford

I know fixtures are aimed at putting 'plumb' fixtures back to when fans are able to attend, but that must be the 'easiest' (on paper) start to a season ever.

What comes after is tougher - Catalans (a, but TBC), Hull (h), Leeds (a), Wire (h), HKR (a), Cas (a), scum (h). IMO we should be rotating from early on to keep players fresh and match-fit.

(apologies if someone's already made this point)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I reckon its going to be a good season. Plenty teams have made good purchases and it should be very competitive. The biggest question mark probably hangs over Wigan. I think they massively overachieved last year. They do have some good youngsters but are at a real crossroads with O’Loughlin retiring and the Hastings rumours. Anyway, i think we’re still the team to beat.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

I agree.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Banned

I do agree, but after that 2007-2011 period, I find myself just wanting to stretch ahead of 'perennial jammy b*stards' Leeds in the SL era trophies. I really don't think we get anything like the praise we deserve for dominating SL, and those 5 GF defeats play a part in that IMO (although even before that, focus was more on Bratfud, despite us amassing more trophies and beating them in every final we met in during the SL era)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I reckon its going to be a good season. Plenty teams have made good purchases and it should be very competitive. The biggest question mark probably hangs over Wigan. I think they massively overachieved last year. They do have some good youngsters but are at a real crossroads with O’Loughlin retiring and the Hastings rumours. Anyway, i think we’re still the team to beat.
    Field out for 5 months apparently. If Hastings does go that’s them left with Smith and Leuluai for halves.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.