Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Paulo

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/r...griffiths.html

According to this site, he’s refereed several SL games already this season so you can’t put down his demeanour to first night nerves. One instance that summed him up to me was when he gave a penalty against Fifita under our posts; Fifita got up and remonstrated that his hair had been pulled. Any firm referee would have moved the penalty 10 metres but Griffiths did nothing. Brough then came over and was obviously told to go away but, as Richardson was shaping to kick to touch Brough stuck out his foot at the ball, causing Richardson to fumble it. Rather than march Wakefield 10 metres upfield, the referee merely told Richardson to get on with the kick. Such lack of incisiveness merely gives the players open licence to carry on moaning about decisions rather than getting on with the game.
    Agreed, but the refs try to keep the game flowing, if they blew for everything it would be penalty after penalty. I'm ok with this but not sure others would be
    Make a penalty worth 3 points, then the risk is greater

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Tickled me when he kept on telling our lads to get up whilst flicking his arms up and down and shouting "up" , all well and good but with Fifita using you as a mattress
    I hate the ball carrier messing around at the PTB it ruins it, they are just trying to win a penalty, not saying this happened here, but it's why refs are never quite sure who is the one messing around
    If they ignore antics they should stop as all that happens is the PTB is even slower

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Agreed, but the refs try to keep the game flowing, if they blew for everything it would be penalty after penalty. I'm ok with this but not sure others would be
    Make a penalty worth 3 points, then the risk is greater

I hate the ball carrier messing around at the PTB it ruins it, they are just trying to win a penalty, not saying this happened here, but it's why refs are never quite sure who is the one messing around
    If they ignore antics they should stop as all that happens is the PTB is even slower
    The answer is to have linesmen mark the 10m defence line and flag to the ref when the defending team encroaches. The ref can then stay at the ruck and PTB to police it properly.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    The answer is to have linesmen mark the 10m defence line and flag to the ref when the defending team encroaches. The ref can then stay at the ruck and PTB to police it properly.
    Many of us on here have suggested the same over the past couple of years. It seems such a simple solution to us that I don't know why it is not enacted, unless we are missing something?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Or 2 refs, one to specifically look after the play the ball and ruck, like the Australians do, in the hope that by splitting the role they can focus on certain issues and hopefully improve decisions and standard of play.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Or 2 refs, one to specifically look after the play the ball and ruck, like the Australians do, in the hope that by splitting the role they can focus on certain issues and hopefully improve decisions and standard of play.
    Yeah think it's unfair on the players looking all the way to the touchline for their ten metres (as suggested above), and having two people doing it means you'll have , differences..

Just getting 12 decent refs a weekend

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Yeah think it's unfair on the players looking all the way to the touchline for their ten metres (as suggested above), and having two people doing it means you'll have , differences..

Just getting 12 refs, the barrel is very low and I'm not surprised.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

I think it would make things clearer - unless you are the winger, if you can see the touch judge with no player between you and him then you are offside, after a while it would become self policing provided that the refs, the TJ and the fans were willing to put up with the penalties created.
    Perhaps to lessen the impact it might be better to only be able to tap the ball at the penalty rather than kick the ball or build up the penalties so that you can only kick once it every 3 or 4 given, to stop persistent offside during the "bedding in" period.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by st. etrigan View Post
    I think it would make things clearer - unless you are the winger, if you can see the touch judge with no player between you and him then you are offside, after a while it would become self policing provided that the refs, the TJ and the fans were willing to put up with the penalties created.
    Perhaps to lessen the impact it might be better to only be able to tap the ball at the penalty rather than kick the ball or build up the penalties so that you can only kick once it every 3 or 4 given, to stop persistent offside during the "bedding in" period.
    Or simply go back to 6 and carry on

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Or simply go back to 6 and carry on
    or just 'we'll take ten sir'

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    That is an old call BB.
    Lowerhouse pitch nearest the rear of the houses was "a take the ten" to stop window breakage claims. Them pitches also had the most amount of dog sh@t on them of any that North West Counties teams played on.
    Some owners had Great Danes with IBS.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Many pitches still do that

25mins last night and probably no more than 3 drives. Shocking waste of a shirt

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

He always looks like a new signing to me, someone thrown into the team without training with the squad.
    He never quite looks like he's in on the plan.

That pass to Bentley was shocking

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    25mins last night and probably no more than 3 drives. Shocking waste of a shirt
    And feels a bit like Holbrook is justifying his signing by continuing to play him a la Jack Owens.

Learning All The Songs

Whilst I am not a lover of the lad he put in a decent defensive shift.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    I'm not a fan at all, but thought he did a bit more tackling last night, however it's the type of thing you could get an academy player to do for the few minutes Paulo did it. The only pass he gave that sticks in my mind is the one he bulleted into Bentleys shoulder from close range.

Starting A Programme Collection

Paulo has got to be one the worst Aussie signings we have ever made . For me he should be on the same flight as Holbrook when he goes back . Dumping Douglas & persisting with Paulo is wrong .

I'm not saying I'm convinced by Paulo based on the season's performances so far - though I thought he had one of his better games last night. It feels like there's a decent rugby player in there - but he needs to apply himself more and be more dynamic.

I feel under the right circumstances / coaching - he could be a good player for us - but we haven't seen it so far. Seems he's got into the match day squad too easily, whereas players like Amor and Richardson this year and Fages last year - have had to earn their chances or wait for injuries. I think a different way of managing Paulo is needed. Players like Douglas and Morgan - even though they neither hit any heights - seemed to apply themselves more?

Maybe a change of coach or a different way of working with him will bring out the player in him. Time will tell - as unless we manage to get him off the books, he'll be in the team for another couple of seasons IIRC?

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Paulo has got to be one the worst Aussie signings we have ever made . For me he should be on the same flight as Holbrook when he goes back . Dumping Douglas & persisting with Paulo is wrong .
    As an aside... Are we able to recall Douglas - not that I'm saying we should at this stage of the season, but is it an option?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    As an aside... Are we able to recall Douglas - not that I'm saying we should at this stage of the season, but is it an option?
    I believe it would put us over the salary cap.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    He's a bit of a round peg in a square hole isn't he , he has a short game but we are an expansive rugby team so his dynamics look lazy. His short pass needed to go to a more astute player like our half backs and centres. Don't think he missed a tackle in the whole game.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

I know some say he does a lot of the the unnoticed stuff. However when he's not played, have we noticed he's not there?

Whilst his experience might be useful for the squad, on field I'm waiting for the moment when it clicks. I'm not seeing an organiser, I'm not seeing a running threat, I'm not seeing an offload game, I'm not seeing a player that attracts defenders creating space for those around him.
    urn
    I don't doubt that there's a player in there, but I don't thibk we've seen him yet. If he gets us to the GF and turns into this beast at Old Trafford, swatting defenders away and running the show, we'll know he's just been holding it all in reserve until it matters.

Default Paulo

He is a good defender and doesn’t make many mistakes, which is probably why he’s hanging on to his shirt.

The frustrating thing about him is that when he gets his head down and takes the ball in he usually makes good ground. If he spent his time doing that instead of a poor Shane Cooper impression he’d be a good player.

I can see Bentley getting his place in the 17 once we have Peyroux back.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I believe it would put us over the salary cap.
    Couldn’t we take Lees off the salary cap - just like Warrington and Cas have done with Brown/Gale - and then include Douglas? Probably not as it’s very late in the season but we are one prop down now.

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Couldn’t we take Lees off the salary cap - just like Warrington and Cas have done with Brown/Gale - and then include Douglas? Probably not as it’s very late in the season but we are one prop down now.
    Once a player has played for you then their whole salary counts on your cap.